Author Topic: Adding varieties to an established mango tree  (Read 1380 times)

Slicko

• Brisbane, Australia
    • View Profile
Adding varieties to an established mango tree
« on: March 27, 2017, 06:30:45 AM »
I have an established R2E2 seedling mango tree that has been fruiting for the last four years. I also have two seedlings of other varieties that I wish to graft onto it. We are in our fall here and our trees never defoliate. The R2E2 should flush soon and I expect that this is the best time to do the grafting.
I assume that cleft grafts will be the go.
Has anyone advice on the best way to do this?
Thanks

Mick

hcbeck2689

• USA, NC
    • View Profile
Re: Adding varieties to an established mango tree
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2017, 09:30:48 AM »
Fairchild has some good grafting videos on YouTube. Cleft graft is one that he recommends.
From what I know, summer is the best time to do your grafting. The rootstock phase is not as important as the scion phase. Scion tips should be swollenbut not pushing yet for best results.

mike rule

• karrabin qld australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2017, 09:55:48 PM »
Now in Brisbane is the perfect time to graft.... Do early morning & place plastic bag over the graft & seal  once done to keep in the heat.... Mike

Slicko

• Brisbane, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2017, 01:27:34 AM »
Thanks guys for your responses. I shall have to spend a bit of time on the videos.
I am glad to know that now is a good time.

Of the two trees providing scions, one has just started to flush,so that one will have to wait until it's next flush. The other is usually a week or so behind so I hope I can get home before it starts to flush also.

I don't recall if they flush in the winter months. Is there a problem doing the grafts then considering that we don't frost where I live?

Thanks again

Mick

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk