Author Topic: Uses for Starfruit and Sapodilla  (Read 2381 times)

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
Uses for Starfruit and Sapodilla
« on: March 27, 2017, 09:36:44 AM »
Since these two fruit trees bear so heavily in South Florida, you're probably looking for ways to use the fruit.  If you enjoy fruit smoothies, either one is a great addition, and their flavor complements other fruit very well.  I'm using sapodillas at this time of year and starfruit during their season.  (HEALTH NUT ALERT: my standard breakfast--a smoothie with various fruits, plain Greek yogurt, chia seed, flax seed, hemp seed, apple juice or coconut water to make it liquid, and maybe a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar.  Who knows--it may help me live to be 100, although my mother turns 100 this year without it!)
« Last Edit: March 27, 2017, 09:38:39 AM by johnb51 »
John

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Uses for Starfruit and Sapodilla
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2017, 09:50:01 AM »
Both are excellent dehydrated and used as snacks.
- Rob

Finca La Isla

• Costa Rica, Southern Caribbean coast
    • View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2017, 10:09:31 AM »
Yes, sapodilla is very good dried.  There are no regional dates and the dehydrated sapodilla is our answer to that problem.
I may try to work with drying carombola again.
Peter

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2017, 12:24:48 PM »
My friend makes huge batches of carambola chutney. Trying to get some!

Caesar

• PR
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2017, 01:00:43 PM »
My friends made some Custard with Sapodilla (or was it Mamey Sapote? I can't recall), and it was good, creamy and caramel-y. It's probably good for loads of dessert recipes.

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2017, 02:08:08 PM »
My friends made some Custard with Sapodilla (or was it Mamey Sapote? I can't recall), and it was good, creamy and caramel-y. It's probably good for loads of dessert recipes.
Yes, the sugar content and caramel flavor would make it ideal for dessert recipes.
John

Viking Guy

• AKME Gardens
    • USA, AL, Silverhill, 8B
    • View Profile
    • AKME Gardens Website
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2017, 02:18:44 PM »
Since these two fruit trees bear so heavily in South Florida, you're probably looking for ways to use the fruit.  If you enjoy fruit smoothies, either one is a great addition, and their flavor complements other fruit very well.  I'm using sapodillas at this time of year and starfruit during their season.  (HEALTH NUT ALERT: my standard breakfast--a smoothie with various fruits, plain Greek yogurt, chia seed, flax seed, hemp seed, apple juice or coconut water to make it liquid, and maybe a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar.  Who knows--it may help me live to be 100, although my mother turns 100 this year without it!)

Maybe you'll make it to 120.  ;)

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2017, 02:47:21 PM »
how about sapodilla sherbet? taste identical to salty caramel. It's as good as Jenny's salty caramel, absolutely delicious.....carambolas I can do without. 

LivingParadise

• Florida Keys, Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2017, 03:37:19 PM »
I so wish that were my problem! Maybe someday... So far, the Hasya Sapodilla is very happy but only has produced 3 fruit in 3 years, despite hordes of flowers. And every starfruit I put in the ground gets destroyed by spider mites every dry season. I'm on my 4th tree, and it just lost its last leaf today despite multiple Neem sprays and extra watering. Hopefully the next round of leaves it looks like it's trying to put out will make it, so it won't totally die. But we have a super-spider-mite problem in the Keys that is aggressively wiping out hordes of plants over the last few years, so this is a problem not likely to be an issue for other people I guess. Only the rainy season keeps it at bay.

But starfruit is very good blackened, like with cajun or jerk spices, or in stirfry. Mix with other fruits and vegetables, and viola! Yum. Don't overcook to the point of being mushy - a quick stirfry with the seasoning is it.

I haven't experimented with sapodilla cooking yet, but I would think anything that would go well with the taste of brown sugar could benefit. I bet you could make baked sapodilla, or some kind of pudding, with cinnamon... kind of like one might do with apples. Different texture, but sapodilla is probably very tasty with vanilla and cinnamon, and maybe just a hint of butter (or like in a pastry). I don't add sugar or fat to my fruits, because I prefer them natural and eaten the way they are, but if one is really bored I'm sure there's a wealth of pastries to be made with sapodilla, and its moisture would lend well to baking like the way people use applesauce to replace oil in cakes and things. Blend some up and use in place of applesauce, which is used in place of oil for cakes, cookies, etc. Or, use as pie or cookie filling, or maybe even a layer between cakes? If you're someone who eats baked goods, this might be great. I wonder if anyone has ever tried making sapodilla bread, like with a banana bread recipe? Or muffins? It's probably awesome... add oats, or chia seed, or flax, or whatever, and it could be great from a health perspective also. I would think they're sweet enough when ripe that you don't need to add any sugar, or probably very little...

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2017, 01:20:45 AM »
Yes, sapodilla is very good dried.  There are no regional dates and the dehydrated sapodilla is our answer to that problem.
I may try to work with drying carombola again.
Peter
Dried carambola is very attractive, as well as delicious, if you cut it show star shape. Carambola is also excellent juiced. We drink em by the gallons.
Oscar