Author Topic: Where to buy fruit trees at wholesale in Florida  (Read 9332 times)

Brandt

• Winter Garden, FL zone 9b
    • View Profile
Where to buy fruit trees at wholesale in Florida
« on: March 27, 2017, 10:45:06 PM »
I am interested in buying tropical fruit trees at wholesale to be able to resell but I am not sure where I need to go. Does anyone know a grower or nursery where I can buy trees cheap in Florida? I am most interested in Mango trees.  I am located in West Orlando.

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
Re: Where to buy fruit trees at wholesale in Florida
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2017, 01:34:10 PM »
I am interested in buying tropical fruit trees at wholesale to be able to resell but I am not sure where I need to go. Does anyone know a grower or nursery where I can buy trees cheap in Florida? I am most interested in Mango trees.  I am located in West Orlando.

You need a Florida nursery license. Not expensive. Regulations are on  line. Pretty much any yokel qualifies. Pay your taxes quarterly or they will go after you. If you have nothing to report they still want a quarterly report from you.

TheDom

• Fort Myers, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2017, 01:47:14 PM »

You need a Florida nursery license. Not expensive. Regulations are on  line. Pretty much any yokel qualifies. Pay your taxes quarterly or they will go after you. If you have nothing to report they still want a quarterly report from you.

Are you just talking federal quarterly taxes or is there some sort of state level reporting requirement?
Dom

zands

• mango_zango
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2017, 02:05:37 PM »

Are you just talking federal quarterly taxes or is there some sort of state level reporting requirement?

Purely state of Florida. Quarterly. Talk to them quarterly whether you have done sales or not. They want to hear from you or various sundry bureaucrats are out of jobs.  8) :

Vernmented

• Starry Nursery/Plant Hoarder/Zone Pusher/Biochar Enthusiast
    • USA, Florida, Sarasota, 9B/10A
    • View Profile
    • Starry Nursery Instagram
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2017, 02:22:45 PM »
Zill High Performance Plants
-Josh

FruitFreak

• USA, FL, Naples, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2017, 02:28:11 PM »

FL Dept of Revenue wants to collect their sales tax quarterly along with any surtax (if one applies for your county).  The exercise really sucks but is easy once you figure out how to report everything online.  If you are late there is a significant fee involved.  Definitely do not file your annual report late = $400 fee :(
- Marley

FruitFreak

• USA, FL, Naples, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2017, 02:29:40 PM »
Zills High Performance Plants - Lake Worth
Fruitscapes - Pine Island
- Marley

TheDom

• Fort Myers, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2017, 03:11:54 PM »
There is no sales tax on fruit trees in FL.

See FS 205.08(5)(a), "seeds, seedlings, cuttings, and plants used to produce food for human consumption" are specifically exempt from sales tax. The same is also mentioned in 12A-1.048(2)(a), FAC: https://www.flrules.org/gateway/RuleNo.asp?ID=12A-1.048

FL Dept of Revenue wants to collect their sales tax quarterly along with any surtax (if one applies for your county).  The exercise really sucks but is easy once you figure out how to report everything online.  If you are late there is a significant fee involved.  Definitely do not file your annual report late = $400 fee :(
Dom

TREESNMORE

• USA Palm City FL Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2017, 03:47:30 PM »
You still have to file. $100.00 late fee. I know I have pay it more than once.
Mike

TheDom

• Fort Myers, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2017, 04:00:16 PM »
Assuming you're talking about the sales tax registration and filing, yes, if you register and fail to file on time, they will fine you.

However if you're only ever selling things that are exempt from sales tax, there's no reason to register to pay sales tax in the first place.

If you're talking about the nursery registration, then I completely agree.

Dom

TREESNMORE

• USA Palm City FL Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2017, 04:13:22 PM »
Dom if you dont registration then you will not have a tax exempt number and you have to pay tax on all the 
other things you buy.
Mike

Brandt

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2017, 04:38:05 PM »
Thank you everyone for all the great replies. I already own a few corps so I a familiar with annual reports and such. I found the application online for the Certificate of  Nursery Registration for the State of Florida. I am guessing I just need an inspection and pay my fees and I am able to resell fruit trees. I will look into the two places  you guys have mentioned on this thread as far as places to buy fruit trees at wholesale.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2017, 04:40:28 PM by Brandt »

TheDom

• Fort Myers, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2017, 04:47:16 PM »
Good point. I suppose when one is looking to buy farm equipment over a certain price that would be worth pursuing. Otherwise for someone selling nothing but exempt items, I can't see the headache being worth it.

It seems fairly clear to me registration for sales tax purposes is only necessary if you're dealing in taxable items:
https://www.flrules.org/gateway/RuleNo.asp?title=SALES%20AND%20USE%20TAX&ID=12A-1.060

Dom if you dont registration then you will not have a tax exempt number and you have to pay tax on all the 
other things you buy.
Dom

TheDom

• Fort Myers, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2017, 04:49:51 PM »
Sorry for dragging things off topic.

Fruitscapes and Zill are great. You might also check out Pine Island Nursery and Excalibur.
Dom

zands

• mango_zango
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2017, 07:29:56 PM »
Thank you everyone for all the great replies. I already own a few corps so I a familiar with annual reports and such. I found the application online for the Certificate of  Nursery Registration for the State of Florida. I am guessing I just need an inspection and pay my fees and I am able to resell fruit trees. I will look into the two places  you guys have mentioned on this thread as far as places to buy fruit trees at wholesale.

Wait!   Lots of great wholesale nurseries  for you in lovely FL.   Where  you pay tax free and wholesale prices. You just have to comply with Florida taxation / that you are a nursery owner comprende?//// which is nice and minimal/

I am guessing I just need an inspection

lol prolly not

« Last Edit: March 28, 2017, 07:39:34 PM by zands »

Brandt

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2017, 08:22:57 PM »
Thanks again for those who gave helpful info. I am not sure about all the taxation stuff but I do know when I called to check into having the rights to buy and sell fruit trees in Florida they directed me to a guy that I had to have an inspection setup prior to getting a Cert of Nursery or Cert of Stock Dealer Registration. However I might not need to go that route but based on when calling the Florida Department of Agriculture that is where I was directed.

I am not planning on being a huge business more like buy and selling so that I can afford my habit of buying fruit trees for myself and kids to enjoy.

FruitFreak

• USA, FL, Naples, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2017, 08:37:41 PM »

A Nursury license is not a requirement all you need is a re-sale certificate.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2017, 08:42:50 PM by FruitFreak »
- Marley

FruitFreak

• USA, FL, Naples, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2017, 08:39:12 PM »
Haha, I know the feeling too sux:)
- Marley

FruitFreak

• USA, FL, Naples, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2017, 08:41:08 PM »
Good point. I suppose when one is looking to buy farm equipment over a certain price that would be worth pursuing. Otherwise for someone selling nothing but exempt items, I can't see the headache being worth it.

It seems fairly clear to me registration for sales tax purposes is only necessary if you're dealing in taxable items:
https://www.flrules.org/gateway/RuleNo.asp?title=SALES%20AND%20USE%20TAX&ID=12A-1.060

other things you buy.

Sales Tax Certificate is also the proof of business required by wholesale vendors.
- Marley

Brandt

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2017, 08:42:57 PM »
Haha, I know the feeling too sux:)

If that is the case that would be a fantastic scenario. Thanks for this information.

TheDom

• Fort Myers, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2017, 08:51:25 PM »

Actually Zands a Nursury license is not a requirement all you need is a re-sale certificate.

You may be mixing terms between the sales tax and plant inspection side of things. There's the FL Dept of Revenue (sales tax), and the FL Dept of Agriculture (plant inspection). The sales tax resale certificate has absolutely nothing to do with the buying and selling of fruit trees. If you're selling non-food plants (ie: ornamentals), you absolutely are dealing in taxable items, and absolutely need to register for sales tax collection, do quarterly reports, etc.

If you are growing your own plants and selling them as well as maybe selling plants purchased from others, you need to register as a nurseryman. If you are not producing your own plants at all, and are only reselling plants purchased from other nurserymen, you must register as a nursery stock dealer. Those are the only two options for legally buying and selling plants in the state of FL according to the FL dept of Ag. Source: http://www.freshfromflorida.com/Divisions-Offices/Plant-Industry/Business-Services/Registrations-and-Certifications/Nursery-and-Stock-Dealer-Registration-Information
Dom

FruitFreak

• USA, FL, Naples, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2017, 09:11:01 PM »

Actually Zands a Nursury license is not a requirement all you need is a re-sale certificate.

You may be mixing terms between the sales tax and plant inspection side of things. There's the FL Dept of Revenue (sales tax), and the FL Dept of Agriculture (plant inspection). The sales tax resale certificate has absolutely nothing to do with the buying and selling of fruit trees. If you're selling non-food plants (ie: ornamentals), you absolutely are dealing in taxable items, and absolutely need to register for sales tax collection, do quarterly reports, etc.

If you are growing your own plants and selling them as well as maybe selling plants purchased from others, you need to register as a nurseryman. If you are not producing your own plants at all, and are only reselling plants purchased from other nurserymen, you must register as a nursery stock dealer. Those are the only two options for legally buying and selling plants in the state of FL according to the FL dept of Ag. Source: http://www.freshfromflorida.com/Divisions-Offices/Plant-Industry/Business-Services/Registrations-and-Certifications/Nursery-and-Stock-Dealer-Registration-Information

I obtained the nursury license long after I started my LLC and obtained sales tax cert.  OP inquired about wholesale mango purchases for resale.  Wholesale vendors request copy of sales tax cert before they sell to you.
- Marley

TheDom

• Fort Myers, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2017, 09:13:41 PM »

I obtained the nursury license long after I started my LLC and obtained sales tax cert.  OP inquired about wholesale mango purchases for resale.  Wholesale vendors request copy of sales tax cert before they sell to you.

Cool, maybe I misread it but it seemed like you were telling him he didn't need a nursery license to sell it. Buying it wholesale with a sales tax cert may be fine, but reselling it is not.
Dom

Brandt

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2017, 09:31:39 PM »
Dom

I think you are correct as that is the form and the people I had called today. Where I was confused is where I think you need an inspection for one of the choices. I would be option 2 (stock dealer) since I would be buying and selling and not growing and selling. I also probably need a resale cert to buy from the nurseries as well to keep from paying their sales tax. This might be all I need to get this done. Thank you!
« Last Edit: March 28, 2017, 09:34:27 PM by Brandt »

TheDom

• Fort Myers, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2017, 10:03:15 PM »
I'd talk to the plant inspection folks local to you and make sure they're happy with how you're filling the form out. Mine here basically said fill it out and mail it in, but I got a cranky call from some lady up in Gainesville because those guys were supposed to come out and inspect before I sent it in I guess. At least that's what she seemed to think. Maybe I wasn't supposed to check the nurseryman vs stock dealer boxes? Either way, one of the local inspectors showed up here out of the blue a few months later and I'm good to go now. Call them, they're there to answer all of our stupid questions about their stupid forms. ;-)

I've had no problem getting wholesale pricing with just my certificate of nursery registration, but apparently that may vary place to place.

What these other folks are saying about a resale certificate for supplies and other taxable things you may sell is absolutely correct. I'm just begging to differ on the necessity for strictly fruit tree and other food producing plant/seed/cutting sales, since they're exempt from sales tax in FL. If a nursery is charging you sales tax on fruit trees even without a resale cert, they're doing it wrong.

Dom

I think you are correct as that is the form and the people I had called today. Where I was confused is where I think you need an inspection for one of the choices. I would be option 2 (stock dealer) since I would be buying and selling and not growing and selling. I also probably need a resale cert to buy from the nurseries as well to keep from paying their sales tax. This might be all I need to get this done. Thank you!
Dom

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk