Author Topic: Did I graft correct  (Read 2640 times)

AnnonaMangoLord45

• LeafyMango
  • I love Mangoes
    • SoCal zone 10b
    • View Profile
Did I graft correct
« on: March 28, 2017, 10:33:44 PM »
Hello, I recently grafted some mango trees via cleft. This is the second week since the procedure and the graft wound hasn't healed, but the scion lush and green.is the graft successful? Here are some pics

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Did I graft correct
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2017, 10:55:34 PM »
We won't know until it pushes. Even after it pushes, some grafts will fail. Keep your fingers crossed.

Simon

EJO8

• Orange County, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2017, 10:57:46 PM »
It's hard to say. The typically grafting season is around June for us in CA. If the graft failed it should turn black/brown in a few weeks. The graft won't heal completely for a few months. Also do you have anything other that parafilm holding the graft union together?

Best,
Eric

funlul

• SoCal zone 10a SGV
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2017, 11:54:11 PM »
It's hard to say. The typically grafting season is around June for us in CA. If the graft failed it should turn black/brown...

Wow with all the CRFG scion exchanges in Jan/Feb, I thought early spring is the prime grafting season with a few exceptions (say citrus). What do you typically graft in June?
Looking for scionwoods: loquat, cherimoya, jujube, chocolate perssimon

EJO8

• Orange County, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2017, 12:46:43 AM »
It's hard to say. The typically grafting season is around June for us in CA. If the graft failed it should turn black/brown...

Wow with all the CRFG scion exchanges in Jan/Feb, I thought early spring is the prime grafting season with a few exceptions (say citrus). What do you typically graft in June?

I was referring to mango only, which is an exception like citrus. However, I think a few forum members have had success in the colder months in grafting mangos

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2017, 11:57:47 PM »
Loquat is best grafted soon after the harvest in April/May.
White sapote and cherimoya are kind of year round, unlike deciduous fruits.
Sapodilla are probably best done in warm weather like mangos.

Lory

• Cebu-Philippines 10° N
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2017, 05:32:00 AM »
Hello, I recently grafted some mango trees via cleft. This is the second week since the procedure and the graft wound hasn't healed, but the scion lush and green.is the graft successful? Here are some pics

Just a technical advice, when you take the pics focus on the subject not on the background  ;)
Lorenzo

Capt Ram

• Lake Worth, Fl
    • View Profile
    • Sailing-charters.org
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2017, 08:32:53 PM »
I started thies  about a week ago many are pushing now-What's Grafting in Lake Worth..top working mangos on a few old turpentine trees, changing them to Cotton candy, Lemon Zest, lemon Marange, Carie and keitt..5 different avocados cultivars 'CHOQUETTE' -Monrow, Miguel, Simmons, Mexicola grafting now , canastal , Fairchild #2, Trumpo and Ross , Mamae sapote putting a Veijo on a Loreto and vica-versa..
Soursop is loaded I'm grafting this tree also
Alano sapadilla..Black Sapote, Sugar apple green and red80%+of the Grafts are taking...
I love doing this

Www.sailing-charters.org

Lory

• Cebu-Philippines 10° N
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2017, 10:10:02 PM »
what kind of graft do you use for sugar apple and black sapote?
Lorenzo