Author Topic: California’s blood orange supply has already been consumed  (Read 1184 times)

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
California’s blood orange supply has already been consumed
« on: March 30, 2017, 04:03:41 PM »
If you still spot Central Valley California blood oranges in the store, they're probably one of the only few left. The packers and shippers said this was a fantastic year for the blood orange market.  Blood oranges and specialty citrus is garnering more prominence and growing in popularity, people appreciate the aroma and red raspberry flavor, and undertone. It used to be pretty hard to sell blood oranges and cara caras and some of the items that were fairly new to the citrus world. Now it seems like people want variety, they want to know what it is (they’re using) and are using a lot of the fruit for cooking, garnishes, even natural food coloring.

http://www.freshplaza.us/article/10611/Californias-blood-orange-supply-has-already-been-consumed
« Last Edit: March 30, 2017, 04:09:35 PM by Millet »

Cyan

• Valley Center 9b
    • View Profile
Re: California’s blood orange supply has already been consumed
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2017, 09:02:35 PM »
Wow! that's great news.   I have been thinking that these varieties will make meals more interesting.   I've really enjoyed having blood orange juice and pulp in "mocktails". I can add a few ice cubes of blood orange juice to water or sparkling water and make it last longer than the fruit does.  I have blood orange marmalade on the list of things to do this year, I had better get some more of them while I can.  Trader Joes has had some in lately.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk