Citrus > Citrus General Discussion

Can citrus be grown in Austin, TX?

(1/3) > >>

Tom in Philadelphia:
I have a friend that is moving there, and I wanted to let them know what they may be able to grow there. The avg annual lowest temp in Austin over the last 30 years is 22F (Camp Mabry) closer to town. However, I noticed that in 2011 they stayed below freezing for two straight days with high temps in the 20'sF and a low of 17F. That is some wicked freeze duration.

So, I'm thinking citrus is out of the question in Austin, but thought I would check here.

Thanks.

Tom

manfromyard:
There are people on other boards that grow hardy Citrus in Dallas, so Austin can easily grow citrus. It would be probably best to try the more cold hardy mainstream citrus like Kumquats, Satsumas, Meyer Lemons etc. Oranges and Grapefruits are probably risking heartbreak...

Citradia:
Citranges and Ichang lemons and Changsha should be easy to grow in temps like that I presume with little to no protection.

DFWCitrus:
Austin is hill country and has better soil composition and drainage properties for citrus than North Texas. A mature Satsuma, especially Seto and possibly Arctic Frost, should survive fine with covering during rare extreme cold events. Key word - mature!

There are some members here growing citrus near to Austin. I am in Dallas, and my first year here this past year my in the ground Satsumas were badly damaged from 2 nights of 16oF and high winds when is it was 72oF the same day.

Larry

mrtexas:

--- Quote from: DFWCitrus on April 15, 2017, 10:54:33 PM ---Austin is hill country and has better soil composition and drainage properties for citrus than North Texas. A mature Satsuma, especially Seto and possibly Arctic Frost, should survive fine with covering during rare extreme cold events. Key word - mature!

There are some members here growing citrus near to Austin. I am in Dallas, and my first year here this past year my in the ground Satsumas were badly damaged from 2 nights of 16oF and high winds when is it was 72oF the same day.

Larry

--- End quote ---

Better than DFW is not saying much. The soil in Austin is limestone rock. Citrus like neutral to acidic soil so make a raised bed. Plant a satsuma, the most cold hardy of citrus and the fruit is excellent. Cover and heat during the worst freezes and bank the trunk with dirt. Stay away from so called "cold hardy" citrus as they don't taste as good as a satsuma.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version