Author Topic: Suggestions for shade trees near the road  (Read 4167 times)

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
Suggestions for shade trees near the road
« on: April 22, 2017, 06:17:49 PM »
I had some plans for this area mentioned in a previous thread. The city just gave me a citation saying I need to plant a shade tree in the swale.
It needs to be 12ft.
I need to complete it by July.

Anyone have suggestions?

Don't really want to buy a 25 gal tree so if someone can point me to a tree that is vigorous enough to pass the eye ball test if I plant it now.
It helps if it's a nice looking edible. I was think tamarind or mulberry. Also if you know anywhere selling that would be great. Or if anyone has any really big seedlings.

Thanks
« Last Edit: April 22, 2017, 06:45:35 PM by skhan »

TheDom

• Fort Myers, FL
    • View Profile
Re: Suggestions for shade trees near the road
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2017, 07:42:38 PM »
There isn't much out there that will produce a shade tree as fast as a Muntingia calabura.
Dom

dwfl

• Bokeelia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2017, 08:03:48 PM »
Inga species? Excalibur should have some and they grow quick. Black sapote maybe

Das Bhut

• Davie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2017, 08:49:53 PM »
My vote is for jackfruit, or banana

Balaman

• Australia
    • View Profile
    • iplantz
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2017, 09:01:09 PM »
Suggestions for shade tree:

Click on the following link: http://www.iplantz.com/search

Navigate to 'Shade tree' in left-hand column on page by selecting Use > Garden (home and public) > Shade tree

Select 'Shade tree'

Then in left-hand column navigate to 'Height or length' by selecting General feature > Height of length

Select height or length.

Hope this helps

mangokothiyan

• Coral Springs, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2017, 11:44:42 PM »

Syed, I think you will have to select from a list approved by the city. Anything else and they will make you replace it.

gnappi

• South East Florida (U.S.A) Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2017, 11:50:52 PM »
Unless they changed the requirement since I got my citation a few years ago, there were only three trees on their list, Oak, Gumbo Limbo and something else. I had to buy an oak that I did not want. I already had a mulberry, but since it's not evergreen and is deciduous it is NOT a shade tree.

Now... If you do NOT do it, they can (and will) fine you on a daily basis. My neighbor had a lien imposed  on him of $150 PER DAY for not concealing the GIGANTIC trash pails the CITY gave us (the previous ones were owner bought, smaller AND were concealed behind a wall) , AND they never sent him a notification.

So far in 9 years I have been cited for...

My house numbers were not large enough, I have to pressure clean my roof every two years, trash cans not well hidden (behind a wall) "illegal" privacy fence slats, illegal (no permit taken on a fence that was there when the house was built in 85) fence around my AC unit, a bit of moss on the side of my house, storm shutter left up too long between storms, not having a shade tree, bush too tall needing trimming, Grass had some empty spots, grass too tall, trash cans left out too long (was away for two days)

I lived in Lighthouse point (19 years) and Deerfield Beach (8 years) and was NEVER cited for anything.

From our fifth amendment:

nor be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; ; nor shall private property be taken for public use without just compensation.

Due process? What a laugh, the folks in code make crap up then can deprive us of property by enforcing a lien when we sell if we do not or can not comply?

Freaking Nazis! :-)

DO NOT MOVE TO CORAL SPRINGS! It's Far worse than a condo or HOA.

Regards,

Gary

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2017, 07:43:56 AM »
I had some plans for this area mentioned in a previous thread. The city just gave me a citation saying I need to plant a shade tree in the swale.
It needs to be 12ft.
I need to complete it by July.

Anyone have suggestions?

Don't really want to buy a 25 gal tree so if someone can point me to a tree that is vigorous enough to pass the eye ball test if I plant it now.
It helps if it's a nice looking edible. I was think tamarind or mulberry. Also if you know anywhere selling that would be great. Or if anyone has any really big seedlings.

Thanks

Let me see if I understand this. The City is mandating that you must plant a tree as opposed to taking one out?  Fall is the best time to plant a deciduous tree, not now.

That's frickin' nuts!  Move to Texas where freedom reigns.  FWIW, I planted about 50 shade trees around my house when we built.   They are beautiful.  Here's some to consider if the Nazi's will let you - Burr, Chinkapin and Shamardi red oak all which make large trees.  Chinese pistache which have a fine ball shaped canopy and beautiful fall foliage of salmons, reds, orange.  It gets up to about 12' X 12". Maples which are super slow growers and long lived.

My bullet proof windbreak and fine specimens that need no inputs including supplemental water once established are - Arizona cypress c. "Silver Smoke" or "Blue Ice".  Leyland cypress c. "Murray".

Last month:

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2017, 07:48:30 AM »
There isn't much out there that will produce a shade tree as fast as a Muntingia calabura.

Might be a great choice.  Can you see the look on the face of some young snot nosed City inspector when he sees this little tree that was planted out of a 4" pot!  ;D  http://www.logees.com/strawberry-tree-muntingia-calabura.html

gnappi

• South East Florida (U.S.A) Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2017, 07:55:51 AM »
SK,

FYI, there's a nursery on Hillsboro (south side near 441 where I got mine) that has 11' oaks for something like $25 and will pass their 12' height requirement.

Regards,

Gary

Doug

• Turrialba Costa Rica
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2017, 07:59:05 AM »

Sounds to me like there're a LOT of swamps outside DC that need to be drained as well! 
« Last Edit: April 23, 2017, 08:04:10 AM by Doug »

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2017, 08:03:14 AM »
Hey Khan...I was in the Coral Springs home Depot yesterday buying a few landscaping plants. The HD cashier said Coral Springs code officers were coming down hard this year with giving out citations. That Coral Springs residents had been coming into HD and buying plants and other things to make code officers happy. To comply with the code officers.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2017, 08:12:11 AM by zands »

skhan

• View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2017, 11:11:22 AM »
@zands
I've noticed that a good bit of the house here have new useless trees. Home Depot must be happy.

@Mark
I already have 6 trees in the front yard, I won't be surprised in a few years when these trees are all bigger getting a citation to remove and trim.
Time to vote in the local elections

skhan

• View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2017, 11:14:30 AM »

Syed, I think you will have to select from a list approved by the city. Anything else and they will make you replace it.

I checked out the list and apparently sapodillas is on it.
I'll probably plant a royal poinciana,  I guess it's there problem when its roots damage the road.

ras954

• Lauderdale FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2017, 12:36:08 PM »
Lychee would be nice.

BajaJohn

• Mexico, Baja California Sur, Loreto, Hot Desert
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2017, 05:48:19 PM »
You can find the list of approved trees and other information at https://www.google.com.mx/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://www.coralsprings.org/home/showdocument%3Fid%3D9234&ved=0ahUKEwi-sYDivbvTAhWT0YMKHbuOBWoQFggaMAA&usg=AFQjCNHbm9J76-uVezS7OvDpzQUE0ZONNw&sig2=38-zwT3ju5rQqn6BFrqIQw

The manual also discusses permissible alternatives as well as "mandated care" so you can pre-empt any further citations.

Similar experiences in Santa Monica really turned me off the Orwellian inclined tree hugger buggers. I planted a few Italian Cypress across the front of my house to shade from the sun and provide some street noise mitigation in that "Arbor Day Foundation" registered City. I chose several of these narrow trees because of limited space along the front of the house. Ten years later these 30' trees were cited for violating a newly passed ordinance limiting "fence" height to 42". Just one anonymous resident in my street had complained, even suggesting that it would be cheaper to remove the trees than fight the citation. Several neighbors signed a letter in favor of the trees but the City Manager insisted they go. I then sent a letter to the City Council, explaining that the trees had existed long before the new ordinance was introduced and suggested they rethink the ordinance anyway because the trees shaded the house, lessening cooling costs in the summer and also mitigated street noise. The citation was dropped.

I guess the point really is that, regardless of the Constitution, there will always a pressure to infringe unless something pushes back.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2017, 05:52:08 PM by BajaJohn »

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2017, 08:12:06 PM »

I checked out the list and apparently sapodillas is on it.
I'll probably plant a royal poinciana,  I guess it's there problem when its roots damage the road.
According to the manual, a "Shade Tree" has to be 12 ft high at the time of planting. Good luck finding a Sapodilla like that. I could never live under such restrictions, likely the landscapers had quite the hand in writing the silly rules. "Tree Abuse"? Really?

dwfl

• Bokeelia
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2017, 08:39:38 PM »
If it's between Oak and Gumbo I'd pick the Gumbo and it should be easy enough to find a 10-12 ft tree down there. A Live Oak will outlive a Gumbo Limbo though

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2017, 10:02:45 PM »
I would move before everyone starts listing their houses.  All those citations would have me out of there ASAP. 
Brad Spaugh

BajaJohn

• Mexico, Baja California Sur, Loreto, Hot Desert
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2017, 12:24:50 AM »
I guess it's there problem when its roots damage the road.
Probably not. The manual requires root barriers etc. if there is a potential problem. They will argue your tree created the problem so it is your responsibility.

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2017, 08:24:23 AM »
I would move before everyone starts listing their houses.  All those citations would have me out of there ASAP.

Ditto!  ::)  Moving isn't easy but putting up with that crap isn't either.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk