Author Topic: Lemon Zest mango in Australia and around the world?  (Read 2370 times)

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Lemon Zest mango in Australia and around the world?
« on: April 27, 2017, 01:53:05 AM »
A while back, Lemon Zest scions were sent around the world(IIRC) and I was wondering how the trees are performing and if anyone has harvested fruit from their grafted trees yet? Does anyone in Australia have a producing tree? If so, what do you think of the flavor and quality of the fruit?

I'm interested to hear about the growth habit, susceptiblity to disease and especially eating qualities of this variety when grown in different countries.

I'm a big fan of this mango but it is very prone to Powdery Mildew in my climate when grown on Turpentine rootstock but it seems to perform much better for me when grown on Manilla rootstock. Others like Gary in Palm springs has a Turpentine rootstock tree that grows great and does not seem to be affected with Powdery Mildew in his hot arid climate. It is one of my favorite mango and I'm wondering if our friends around the world have had the pleasure of tasting this fantastic top tier fruit yet?

I still remember the first time I tasted my first Lemon Zest and that moment will be forever etched into my mind. I couldn't believe a mango could taste this good! It was so sweet and citrusy with a perfect melting texture, truely a perfect(tasting) mango.

The first fruits off my tree were horribly bland and I was so disappointed but the later ripening fruit were absolutely fantastic. If the first fruits off your tree are bland, give it some time, often the first couple years of fruit can be a bit bland from what I've heard.

My hat goes goes off to the Zills family for creating these wonderful new varieties. I can't wait to see what new creations they will come up with in the coming years. I have yet to taste Orange Sherbet, Phoenix, Cotton Candy and many other new Zills creations but if Lemon Zest is any indication, we are in for a sweet and tasty, probably subacid, treat!!! 

Simon

mike rule

• karrabin qld australia
    • View Profile
Re: Lemon Zest mango in Australia and around the world?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2017, 03:21:45 AM »
Simon..... I am in OZ but don't have a grafted Lemon Zest tree planted...... Have been able to get some embryo seeds from a couple of our forum members but these trees are only coming up to 3 years of age....... So as yet they  haven't flowered so am unable to give an update...... Can tell you that the leaves are rippled & when ripped smells of lemons...... Mike

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2017, 11:01:05 AM »
Hey Mike, thanks for the information. I've got some Lemon Zest seedlings growing as well and their leaves smell just like the actual grafted LZ variety. I'm glad you guys have this variety in Australia and can't wait to hear the taste report from your location and around the world. The taste profile is completely different than Kensington Pride and I believe it will be one of the favorites of those who try it.

Simon

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2017, 12:38:51 PM »
Simon, if you love Lemon Zest so much, what is your experience with and opinion of PPK/Lemon Meringue?  I haven't eaten a lot of Lemon Zests, but the PPKs I've eaten have actually been better.
John

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
    • LED Bulbs for Landscape Lighting
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2017, 01:28:03 PM »
we have LZ growing in Pakistan too, LOL

Need to get update though

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2017, 03:00:41 PM »
I've only had one or two not very well ripened PPKs from our annual mango tastings so I can't say as they were considered inedible. I do have a PPK tree grafted onto Manilla rootstock that appears to be growing well and the very small blooms which I recently removed did not have any indications of disease. It will be several years before I can harvest fruit from my own PPK tree but I can't wait to taste it.

I had the pleasure of meeting Maurice Kong a couple years ago and I told him how greatful I was for him bringing the PPK mango into the USA and sharing it with us mango enthusiasts.

Behl, it will be growing in Thailand and Cambodia soon too.

Simon

mangokothiyan

• Coral Springs, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2017, 06:44:26 PM »
Simon, if you love Lemon Zest so much, what is your experience with and opinion of PPK/Lemon Meringue?  I haven't eaten a lot of Lemon Zests, but the PPKs I've eaten have actually been better.

Finally, someone who shares my opinion. I think I was the only one who liked Lemon Meringue more than Lemon Zest. That being said, I like both and have both in my yard.

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2017, 07:40:57 PM »

Finally, someone who shares my opinion. I think I was the only one who liked Lemon Meringue more than Lemon Zest. That being said, I like both and have both in my yard.

A ripe PPK is very tough to beat.  Until I had LZ it was difficult to imagine improving on PPK.  I do give LZ the edge, but it is close. 

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2017, 11:23:23 PM »
I know I need to eat more LZs.  Have to find a friend or neighbor to plant a tree.
John