Author Topic: Planting another mango tree where one died  (Read 1007 times)

AnnonaMangoLord45

• LeafyMango
  • I love Mangoes
    • SoCal zone 10b
    • View Profile
Planting another mango tree where one died
« on: April 27, 2017, 07:39:58 PM »
Hello, after the recent torrential floods in CA, my valenica pride mango croaked unfortunately. What variety of Mango should i plant there in terms of taste, and how do i get rid of the rot in the soil? Thanks, Matt

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Planting another mango tree where one died
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2017, 01:47:13 AM »
I would plant a Lavern Manilla along with several random mango seeds from store bought fruit and don't graft anything until the trees are mature. See my thread on growing mangos in SoCal for more details. Seedlings with tap roots seem to be more adaptable to adverse conditions.

Simon

gnappi

• South East Florida (U.S.A) Zone 10A
    • View Profile
Re: Planting another mango tree where one died
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2017, 04:18:25 AM »
Rot in the soil? Do you mean the roots? If so, I leave them where they are, I don't think they hurt the soil, long term it likely helps.

I saw a site years ago where they threw logs into an open pit with soil for long term soil enrichment. I figured leaving roots in the ground was not much different than whole logs, but roots are likely less dense and should decompose faster.

When I moved here, I had 9 queen palms and 9 robellini palms removed and the first 12" of roots ground up. I left the roots and root chips there, and pretty much followed the hugelkultur thoughts by following up with top soil and planting over it.

Since then I did the same with a large avo and a carambola and everything around them seems happy :-)

I dug around and found it.

https://permaculturenews.org/2012/01/04/hugelkultur-composting-whole-trees-with-ease/

« Last Edit: April 28, 2017, 04:20:38 AM by gnappi »
Regards,

Gary