Author Topic: Should I dig Up my Pickering Mango?  (Read 1959 times)

AnnonaMangoLord45

• LeafyMango
  • I love Mangoes
    • SoCal zone 10b
    • View Profile
Should I dig Up my Pickering Mango?
« on: May 28, 2017, 10:25:46 AM »
Hello, my Pickering mango is on a Turpentine Rootstock, and It seems to be suffering from some minor dieback, but is inching back some new growth. Should I replace it with a Seedling Polyembryonic Mango or a Maha Chanok on a Atualfo Rootstock?

Thanks, Matt

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Should I dig Up my Pickering Mango?
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2017, 10:49:29 AM »
There are 14,000 posts about the problems with mangies on turpentine rootstock in California.   That should answer your question right there...

Unless you are experimenting (which in your case I dont recommend), why would you want to plant a seed if not to graft?  I highly suggest searching out the variety you want on Manilla rootstock  (it doesn't have to be Mahachanok unless thats what you want).  I believe your Cali cohorts in crime would agree...
- Rob

00christian00

• Italy, Zone 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2017, 11:47:19 AM »
Hello, my Pickering mango is on a Turpentine Rootstock, and It seems to be suffering from some minor dieback, but is inching back some new growth. Should I replace it with a Seedling Polyembryonic Mango or a Maha Chanok on a Atualfo Rootstock?

Thanks, Matt

Before trashing it, why don't you try sowing a seed below it and try inarching it to create a multirootstock tree?

AnnonaMangoLord45

• LeafyMango
  • I love Mangoes
    • SoCal zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2017, 12:16:09 PM »
Sorry, To rephrase to Post, I was planning on putting the mango in A large pot, and I'm planning on growing a Coconut Cream mango from Seed, as through digging around this forum, I found that CC mangoes are poly. Grafting Mangoes has been so far unsuccessful with me, and I have some Maha Chanoks In my garage under grow lights, if I were to plant a Mango in the same spot, how deep and wide should I dig?

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2017, 03:29:46 PM »
Maybe it will come back. If I were in your position, I would plant a Lavern Manilla or random seedling next to that tree and let it establish before grafting.
http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=23124.0

Simon

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2017, 05:09:52 PM »
Sorry, To rephrase to Post, I was planning on putting the mango in A large pot, and I'm planning on growing a Coconut Cream mango from Seed, as through digging around this forum, I found that CC mangoes are poly. Grafting Mangoes has been so far unsuccessful with me, and I have some Maha Chanoks In my garage under grow lights, if I were to plant a Mango in the same spot, how deep and wide should I dig?

Why do you have mangoes under grow lights in late May?  Again, just cause you llant a coconut cream seed does not mean thats what you will get, poly or not.  As stated earlier, why are you messing with planting seeds?
- Rob

AnnonaMangoLord45

• LeafyMango
  • I love Mangoes
    • SoCal zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2017, 05:43:12 PM »
Sorry, I just want to do some testing

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2017, 03:25:25 PM »
I had similar problem,  In the DR,  I just grafted to local varieties,   so you could just pop a Manila or whatever they recommend in your area, then graft onto that from your original tree.    In-arching on the original tree is also an option as mentioned.
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk