Author Topic: Selling: "the real king of fruit?" Cempedak (Artocarpus integer)  (Read 2773 times)

manouk

• Australia, Queensland, Cairns, Tropical
    • View Profile
We will be travelling to Thailand on June 9 and will be able to send seeds from June 12. If interested, you can contact me from now on for pre-orders.

Update: as many people don't agree with my description of chempedak I deciced to add this note:
I am not lying when I'm calling chempedak "the real king of fruit". In my opinion it has a shared first place together with durian. The smell is extremely intense, I would describe it as smelling like gasoline. I don't personally find the smell offensive though, and the taste of a good chempedak is like pure heaven to me. I love the juicy, but very dense structure of the flesh. It's creamy in a way, but much more fibrous than durian. Like with durian, there is a huge difference between different chempedaks. From small to big, with very little pods to very many pods, from pale white-coloured flesh to deep orange-coloured flesh. Taste can also vary hugely, from custardy to chocolaty to very fruity. It's hard to describe.

Considered by many to be one of the best tasting fruits in the world, the Cempedak has a creamy consistency and caramel toffee taste with many subtle flavour undertones that are almost indescribable to those who haven't tasted it. Durian has a contender for the title, King of the Fruits.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artocarpus_integer

Price: 6$ + shipping costs
« Last Edit: June 14, 2017, 12:02:48 AM by manouk »

shaneatwell

• California, San Diego, sunset 23 and 18
    • View Profile
Re: Selling: "the real king of fruit?" Cempedak (Artocarpus integer)
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2017, 09:36:26 PM »
I'll bite
Shane

DurianLover

• Bali, Indonesia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2017, 02:59:45 AM »

Considered by many to be one of the best tasting fruits in the world, the Cempedak has a creamy consistency and caramel toffee taste with many subtle flavour undertones that are almost indescribable to those who haven't tasted it. Durian has a contender for the title, King of the Fruits.

I had maybe 40 of them in my life from various sources. None of them match this description. Depending of personal preferences, generally there are three contenders for the king title (durian, mango and cherimoya). While cempedak is outstanding, in my opinion it does not challenge any of those three for the title.

Hana321

• la quinta, ca, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2017, 07:33:20 PM »
Interested. Let us know how it goes

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2017, 09:14:32 PM »

I had maybe 40 of them in my life from various sources. None of them match this description. Depending of personal preferences, generally there are three contenders for the king title (durian, mango and cherimoya). While cempedak is outstanding, in my opinion it does not challenge any of those three for the title.

I agree. This post should be deleted for the incorrect description which is clearly an attempt to make the fruit sound better to increase his sales.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2017, 10:41:46 PM »

I agree. This post should be deleted for the incorrect description which is clearly an attempt to make the fruit sound better to increase his sales,

Now if we could only find a moderator to delete it...
- Rob

Droshi

• Raleigh NC - USDA Zone 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2017, 12:46:35 AM »

I could describe it for you....smell a little more offensive than durian. Taste? Maybe caramel undertone, but dirty sock is the major overtone for me. Similar consistency to durian.

Durian reins supreme to my taste buds as king of fruits, besides this king can be put on a pike and used as a morning star. Smells like hell, tastes like heaven...durian. Though I will concede it's not for everyone (hence king). Queen (mangosteen) is more universally liked I would think.

I've also never heard anyone call chempedak as the king of fruits.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2017, 03:59:40 AM »
There are good and bad varieties and I have sampled around 15 to 20 types and there is a huge difference between the best and worst.The finest ones such as twisted. honey, durian and zappalas orange cant challenge good durians but they are nice fruit.They are not luscious like a mango and you cant eat as much as say pulasan or lychees but they are very good. They rival the best jacks or Artocarpus and there is nothing wrong with a little bravado within reason. The poorer types can give this species a bad name and there are some that are very ordinary indeed.

manouk

• Australia, Queensland, Cairns, Tropical
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2017, 11:52:57 PM »
I have tried many chempedaks and much more durian, and as much as I love durian (I ate only durian for about 6 weeks once), I would put chempedak and durian on a shared first place of my favourite fruits. I think when chempedak is not REALLY good it's really not worth it, whereas a durian that's not really good is often still quite edible. But when I get an really awesome chempedak it might win it from durian..

BUT, this is just my opinion and I will add that in the post. Thanks for your feedback!
« Last Edit: June 14, 2017, 01:44:27 AM by manouk »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk