Author Topic: Which Mango is Better--Carrie or Angie?  (Read 15862 times)

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
Which Mango is Better--Carrie or Angie?
« on: June 10, 2017, 10:52:13 AM »
Is it true that Carrie and Angie are very similar in flavor?  If so, which one is superior and has less issues?  And if you consider them not similar, how are they different, and which one do you prefer?
« Last Edit: July 13, 2018, 12:41:29 PM by johnb51 »
John

savemejebus

• Coral Springs, FL
    • View Profile
Re: Which Mango is Better--Carrie or Angie?
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2017, 11:17:40 AM »
To me the difference is night and day. Carrie is a mushy, disgusting mess. I removed a Carrie tree from the yard because the flavor was extremely offensive to me. I don't get any of that with Angie. It's a relatively compact tree and I find the fruit to be excellent. I try to eat them ripe but a little firm, and that results in a chalky/tartness that is very agreeable. Angie was my wife's favorite mango last year. I don't put it up there with ST, LZ, Edgar, etc., but it held its own.

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2017, 11:18:46 AM »
Very similar. Both have the same sap flavor. However, angie is firmer. There are other differences in flavor, but I can't really describe them... I like both equally, but not everyone can say that :-). Carrie is tricky to judge for ripening and has a short window in which the flesh is suitable for eating. Angie is more productive. Carrie trees are cleaner.
Jeff  :-)

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2017, 11:22:37 AM »
The mushy, disgusting mess is only when it's overripe. I think most folks expect to eat the carrie when the skin is yellow, but it's actually way overripe at that point.

To me the difference is night and day. Carrie is a mushy, disgusting mess. I removed a Carrie tree from the yard because the flavor was extremely offensive to me. I don't get any of that with Angie. It's a relatively compact tree and I find the fruit to be excellent. I try to eat them ripe but a little firm, and that results in a chalky/tartness that is very agreeable. Angie was my wife's favorite mango last year. I don't put it up there with ST, LZ, Edgar, etc., but it held its own.

sidney

• Port St Lucie Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2017, 12:53:06 PM »
I have a Carrie and agree with Cookie, they are edible when the stem end shows yellow, if you wait past that then the tip end (bottom) gets mushy, but still delightful. You can eat  Carrie with a spoon like a sorbet, seed is small too and absolutely no fiber. No coconut taste though if you like that.theskin is very thin.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2017, 01:09:16 PM »
No place for either in my yard.. and not cause I don't have the space.  Yes, tastes are very simar between the two.  Oh, if you like the taste of Carrie and Angie, you will most likely like Ugly Betty alao.

Me no like any of them...
« Last Edit: June 10, 2017, 03:53:57 PM by bsbullie »
- Rob

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • Pembroke Pines, FL, 33024, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2017, 02:01:04 PM »
The mushy, disgusting mess is only when it's overripe. I think most folks expect to eat the carrie when the skin is yellow, but it's actually way overripe at that point.

Carrie is a mushy disgusting deliciousness.  8)
Alexi

palmcity

• Martin County, Fl zone10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2017, 04:32:35 PM »
http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=23935.msg283846#msg283846

Carrie is  fiberless, very sweet, very very flavorful to the point of being too strong for most if the main resinous flavor is not diluted by cutting off green especially around the stem, rinsing with water off the resin before putting in mouth. also start eating from the bottom of the fruit not the top stem area where most of the extreme flavor is located.

If it is still too strong, cut into many smaller pieces and rinse with water again. Now taste and see if it is still too strong flavored or ok. Continue cutting into smaller pieces and rinsing until it is not too strong for your tastes. Amazingly, this mango even in small pieces still has sweetness and flavor beyond most any top tier whole mango. Keep working at learning how to eat this mango, I like it from slightly yellow to full yellow as long as I cut the full yellow into smaller pieces as it is more flavorful at the full yellow stage and I still prefer diluting the flavor by smaller cutting pieces and rinsing with water.

One of my top mangos that I have eaten since I have learned how to alter the preparation of this intensely flavorful mango at varying ripeness to suit my personal tastes. Very few mangos are this intense to allow personal taste preferences from super strong to fairly mild by diluting via proper preparation prior to inserting in mouth.

My Carries have all been dependable as tasting like a Carrie with none being flat tasting at my house. Apparently Tropicdude in lower post says it is possible to find Carries in Florida with "washed out taste" .... I have not tried as I have them at my house.

Carrie has good fruit set and production per tree at my house with little fruit drop like many of the other supposedly top tier mangos.

Carrie grows in most all areas in South Florida where many of the other top tier mangos struggle severely.

« Last Edit: June 14, 2017, 11:54:45 AM by palmcity »

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2017, 05:00:53 PM »
I like both Angie is an overall better mango along he line of sunrise, neelkarin and puneet.

Vernmented

• Starry Nursery/Plant Hoarder/Zone Pusher/Biochar Enthusiast
    • USA, Florida, Sarasota, 9B/10A
    • View Profile
    • Starry Nursery Instagram
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2017, 05:08:15 PM »
Myself and another grower here in Sarasota have had horrible luck growing Angie. Fungal, scab, bud deformations and whatnot. I never tracked down the definitive answer and neither one of us sprayed but I am ripping mine out soon anyway. I thought the Angies were tasty but not in my top picks.
-Josh

Donkeys4hire

• B & B's Tropical Paradise
    • Western PSL, Florida, zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2017, 05:38:52 PM »
Not sure why all the hate on Carrie's, great flavor, no fiber. They are one of my favorites, have one in my yard.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2017, 05:51:33 PM »
Its the flavor (and maybe a bit of the texture but mainly the flavor), not the strength or resin I don't like.  I actually prefer stronger tasting mangoes and many have the "strength" of a Carrie. There are many mangoes I am not a fan of that others like, and vice versa.  Doubt there is anyone who likes every mango.  Its not a matter of right or wrong,  is what it is.  I may make jokes about it but its all in good humor.
- Rob

ericalynne

• United States of America, Florida, Venus, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2017, 07:46:57 PM »
I love Carrie mangoes the most. It is my favorite. I do not think it is strong tasting at all, so clearly there are taste differences. I do not like resin flavor in mangoes. You have to pick it off the tree when it is green, but a gentle squeeze is yielding. Eat it when it is fragrant, but not mushy. It is barely firm and totally fiberless. It melts in  your mouth.

I also have and Angie and it is a good tasting mango also. I have had no disease problems at all with either the Carrie or the Angie and that would be west of Lake O in 9b. The "highlands" of Florida.

Erica

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2017, 09:40:22 PM »
This week I took a box of just picked Carries to a family reunion out of state. They were very 'full' and I judged them ready to pick.
Each day I selected those which yielded to pressure even though they had green skin. The people who ate them were only familiar with store bought Tommy Atkins type mangoes from Mexico, very unsophisticated people, but without exception they found them to be the best they had ever tasted. One person happened to buy a package of pre-cut TA mangoes from Publix supermarket and got to compare the pale yellow tasteless stuff to the real thing. They really had no idea what a real mango could taste like. Now they know.

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2017, 01:19:38 AM »
I have sampled Carrie in the DR and fell in love with them.   I am currently in Florida, and purchased a few Carrie from 3 different sources, and well, quality was varied,  and none were as good as I have had in the past.  washed out, off taste,  only one came a little close to what I remembered, and that was on the top half of the fruit.   maybe its the rain, or how they were picked.   Imagine if these were the first Carrie's I ever sampled,  I would be in the "hate" group for sure.   not sure if I would want to plant such a temperamental fruit in my yard though.  one that is good some times, and only if picked and eaten in such a narrow window of opportunity, if I had room for dozens of trees maybe, but I do not.
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2017, 10:38:20 AM »
I love Carrie and have a number of the trees, but I no longer recommend it for planting. The trees were once very disease resistant but are susceptible to newer strains of anthracnose in the western communities. They also have responded poorly to the winters of the last several years, producing excessive numbers of male flowers and resulting in poor fruit set, despite blooming multiple times. At one point I had over 40 Carrie trees under cultivation so this isn't just one tree we're talking about, and I've made these observations with Carries grown by others as well. On top of these newer issues are the problems it's always had: supernsoft flesh, short shelf life and window period for harvesting and consumption.

Angie on the other hand does taste quite similar to Carrie...some days essentially identical actually. But the advantages over Carrie are numerous.

- more anthracnose resistance, even to newer strains
- much firmer fruit than Carrie
- longer window period for harvesting
- longer shelf life
- flavor tends to be more appealing to American palates
- better, more consistent producer

Angie's major drawback is it's foliar scab problem, particular in interior areas. This can range from moderate to severe enough that the tree literally can't grow or flower right if it isn't controlled.

Both trees have very similar growth habits. Compact, spreading, not terribly vigorous.

« Last Edit: June 11, 2017, 10:45:13 AM by Squam256 »

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2017, 02:43:04 PM »
Interesting. Thanks.

I love Carrie and have a number of the trees, but I no longer recommend it for planting. The trees were once very disease resistant but are susceptible to newer strains of anthracnose in the western communities. They also have responded poorly to the winters of the last several years, producing excessive numbers of male flowers and resulting in poor fruit set, despite blooming multiple times. At one point I had over 40 Carrie trees under cultivation so this isn't just one tree we're talking about, and I've made these observations with Carries grown by others as well. On top of these newer issues are the problems it's always had: supernsoft flesh, short shelf life and window period for harvesting and consumption.

Angie on the other hand does taste quite similar to Carrie...some days essentially identical actually. But the advantages over Carrie are numerous.

- more anthracnose resistance, even to newer strains
- much firmer fruit than Carrie
- longer window period for harvesting
- longer shelf life
- flavor tends to be more appealing to American palates
- better, more consistent producer

Angie's major drawback is it's foliar scab problem, particular in interior areas. This can range from moderate to severe enough that the tree literally can't grow or flower right if it isn't controlled.

Both trees have very similar growth habits. Compact, spreading, not terribly vigorous.

Hana321

• la quinta, ca, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2017, 05:30:13 PM »
I have not personally tried the Angie mango, but I have a Carrie mango tree for like 6 years, and i have always found it to be consistant, wonderful mango. We do not suffer the fungus issues of Florida though.  Have also never had issue with the sappy resinous taste, but i always wash my mangoes before i eat them so maybe that is why. Carrie mango is exceptionally juicy, and has a wonderful spicy undertone that is completely missing from your common commercial varities

FRUITBOXHERO

• Coral Springs Fl
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2017, 06:50:01 PM »
I have not personally tried the Angie mango, but I have a Carrie mango tree for like 6 years, and i have always found it to be consistant, wonderful mango. We do not suffer the fungus issues of Florida though.  Have also never had issue with the sappy resinous taste, but i always wash my mangoes before i eat them so maybe that is why. Carrie mango is exceptionally juicy, and has a wonderful spicy undertone that is completely missing from your common commercial varities

I think that "spicy" undertone might be cat urine 
Joe

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2017, 11:11:52 PM »
I did buy an Angie tree a few years ago,  that died in the "transition"  which I no longer do, for that reason.   anyway decided to put in a Cotton Candy, this year,  I still have not even tried an Angie,  I purchased that tree from recommendations,  sadly she died, a slow death.  bare rooting was just to stressful for such a small tree.
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2017, 11:07:32 AM »
If you bare root, make sure to do it during the growing season (May - Aug) for best results.

I did buy an Angie tree a few years ago,  that died in the "transition"  which I no longer do, for that reason.   anyway decided to put in a Cotton Candy, this year,  I still have not even tried an Angie,  I purchased that tree from recommendations,  sadly she died, a slow death.  bare rooting was just to stressful for such a small tree.

mangomongo

• MERRITT ISLAND
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2017, 11:07:33 AM »

Carrie is doing well in Merritt island. These came from a tree that received no care what so ever. However, It is a full grown tree that took an off year last year.

WGphil

• Winter Garden Florida 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2017, 11:39:19 AM »
Not a fan of carrie because of the texture.  Edgar is closer to my tastes with firmer flesh.

I moved my carrie to a friends house and its his first mango and he is happy. 

A fruit punch sits in its old spot and I am happy

I dont like Ugly Betty either but like the Angie more than the UB and carrie

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2017, 12:28:06 PM »
The persistent intensity of very ripe Carrie makes it ideal for processed foods:  ice-cream, sorbet, fruit breads.

For out of hand eating, I prefer them still firm, with some tartness to balance the flavor.  It is one of my favorites.

Angie, I only got to taste once.  It was good.

I have no mango trees of my own--- wife is allergic.
Har

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2017, 06:09:26 PM »
Yep. I agree with both of those statements. Carrie is a good one to freeze for use in smoothies.

The persistent intensity of very ripe Carrie makes it ideal for processed foods:  ice-cream, sorbet, fruit breads.

For out of hand eating, I prefer them still firm, with some tartness to balance the flavor.  It is one of my favorites.