Author Topic: Rootstock for mango tree  (Read 3771 times)

swapnil.tailor

• san jose, ca
    • View Profile
Rootstock for mango tree
« on: June 29, 2017, 01:59:25 PM »
Hello,

I am looking for rootstock for mango tree which i can grow in North california. Any suggestion from where i can buy them online/local? I do have one of my local nursery selling grafted mango tree for $60, but feel it's little expensive for the root stock and would prefer some cheaper option if available.

TIA,
Swapnil

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
    • LED Bulbs for Landscape Lighting
Re: Rootstock for mango tree
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2017, 04:19:10 PM »
buy from home depot with multiple branches, usually they sell for $29 or so, then graft multiple varieties on it.

swapnil.tailor

• san jose, ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2017, 04:58:42 PM »
I haven't seen my local (bay area) home depot selling Mango trees. Are you aware of any that do sell it? Can't find it online which trees available to them.

boxturtle

• usa, ca. garden grove Orange County
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2017, 05:14:36 PM »
I haven't seen my local (bay area) home depot selling Mango trees. Are you aware of any that do sell it? Can't find it online which trees available to them.

you can call them and special order they usually get their supply from la verne...you can also go on la verne to see what they have available at the moment also.   I had my reed ordered a lil over a month ago luckily they had a couple :)

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2017, 08:03:28 PM »
If you are not in a rush, you can buy a box of mangos, eat the fruit and then plant the seeds. That way you have lots of seedlings to work with. The Lavern Manilla from Home Depot and other nurseries make an excellent rootstock in SoCal hopefully it will work equally well for you at your location. You may want. O hold off on grafting your tree until it gets larger and fully established in order to prevent premature flowering and fruit bearing.

Simon

swapnil.tailor

• san jose, ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2017, 09:41:33 PM »
I already did that couple of weeks back for kesar mango bought from grocery store. But it seems taking long to even sprout. So want to see all alternative possible. It seems my homegrown may not be ready till next year for grafting.

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
    • LED Bulbs for Landscape Lighting
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2017, 04:16:27 PM »
if you sowed store bought kesar, it wont take due to USDA quarantine process that kills the seeds. I have had no success. However, Ataulfo mango seeds are most vigorous growing.

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2017, 05:23:11 PM »
I agree with Behl, try Ataulfo, Manilla or even Kent, Haden or Tommy Atkins.

Simon

swapnil.tailor

• san jose, ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2017, 01:23:25 PM »
Thanks for the reply. Now i won't wait forever for my seeds to grow. :). Will try kent as we bought it from store recently.

swapnil.tailor

• san jose, ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2017, 01:42:53 AM »
Quick question: I believe, i have kent mango bought from grocery store. It's a product of Mexico and the box has mango.org on it. Does the seed of those mangoes have potential to grow or they are also been quarantine through USDA?

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2017, 11:06:21 AM »
Most of the Kent, Haden and Tommy Atkins sold commercially in California are grown in Me ico and are hot water treated so the seeds are viable. The varieties grown in India are Irradiated so they may not be viable.

I recommend growing a bunch of different Polyembryonic (Manilla, Ataulfo, Champaigne) and Monoembryonic varieties to get a wider spectrum of genetics in the hopes that a few seedlings will adapt better for your particular environment. I do the same and some seedlings just seem to thrive and others grow very slowly.

Simon

swapnil.tailor

• san jose, ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2017, 01:14:00 PM »
Thanks for the response. I will try different variety as i buy more from grocery stores. I started with kent, will post updates as i see any positives out of them.

swapnil.tailor

• san jose, ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2017, 02:23:50 AM »
Update: Finally i started seeing roots coming out of the seed for the kent mango. I tried 2 seeds and both of them have sprouted. They are like 1-2 inch long. Should i wait longer before putting them in pot or this is right time to re-seed them in to the pot? I have sprouted it by wrapping them in wet paper towel and putting in a plastic bag.

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2017, 09:42:28 AM »
Plant them now. If you wait too long, the tap root can grow awkward. If you are going to eventually plant the seedling into the ground, you may as well plant the seed into the ground now so you don't have to transplant later.

Simon

swapnil.tailor

• san jose, ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2017, 12:52:54 PM »
Will plant them this week to the pot. Can't do it in the ground as during winter may need to bring them in due to cold.

swapnil.tailor

• san jose, ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2017, 11:47:39 AM »
Ended up planting the seeds in small container. One of the seed had a root system grew in a little awkward state where the actual plant and the root system grew in the same direction. But the main plant grew longer than the root system. Hope the root will find it's way down post growing further.

swapnil.tailor

• san jose, ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2017, 02:19:50 AM »
Ended planting seeds in the pot and they did well. Glen mango seed grew 1-2 inch. Honey mango seed grew really fast and grew 3-4 inches. Unfortunately, i kept them in sun for few days and went on vacation and some of them dead. For some, the leafs were eaten by some creature.

Now moved those back in to shade, hope they can grew back normal. Any suggestion on keeping them in shade and watering? I am watering it in every 2-3 days.

Also bought Grafted Kesar mango from tropicalus on ebay and keeping in shade, hope it do well.