Author Topic: Bilimbi ....not acid ..  (Read 1269 times)

luc

• Mexico , Puerto Vallarta , Jalisco . 20 degr. North
    • View Profile
Bilimbi ....not acid ..
« on: July 08, 2017, 08:43:17 PM »
Finally got to taste my own bilimbi , fruits were only about 10 cm long ( no idea how large they get in their natural habitat ) Found a few fruits on the ground and was prepared to have my tong burned ( was also eager to use the fruit to clean the blade of an antique Malaysian Kris ( dagger / sword ) I read somewhere that's what they use the fruit for besides in cooking ) Surprise ....I am not gonna say it was sweet like a mango but for sure a lot sweeter than some of my Eugenia pyriformis . First I just licked the fruit ( cut in half ) almost no acidity so I took a good bite 1/2 of the fruit . I didn't have to run to the pharmacy for anti acid pills at all , was actually a pleasant flavor . Now the question is : did I end up with one of those kinda rare sweet ones ( thanks to my Indian friend who send me the seeds )
Luc Vleeracker
Puerto Vallarta
Mexico , Pacific coast.
20 degrees north

Ethan

• Central California Z9/9
    • View Profile
Re: Bilimbi ....not acid ..
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2017, 02:12:01 AM »
Wow Luc, that is a great find! Hopefully it'll clean your blade still?

joehewitt

• Hilo, Hawaii
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2017, 02:49:06 AM »
Interesting! Maybe they're just picked green traditionally and nobody is eating tree ripened bilimbi off the ground.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2017, 05:18:23 AM »
Interesting! Maybe they're just picked green traditionally and nobody is eating tree ripened bilimbi off the ground.
Even picked fully ripe they are quite acid. Either Luc got a different type of bilimbi, or his acid tongue receptors re not properly functioning.  ;D Did you by chance eat a miracle fruit before trying that bilimbi?
Oscar

gozp

• West Hills, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2017, 09:28:05 PM »
Post pix of ur bilimbi

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk