Author Topic: Mango Tree concern...HELP PLEASE  (Read 1761 times)

gfaddis

• USA, High Point, NC 27265
    • View Profile
Mango Tree concern...HELP PLEASE
« on: July 13, 2017, 08:08:22 PM »
Thank you very much for reading...I began growing a mango tree from a seed. My tree is now 6 years old. It has always been in a pot since I don't live in a tropical zone. Our winters can be harsh so the tree spends that time indoors and is outdoors in the spring and summer. This spring, as summer just began, the tree is loosing a branch. It is dying. The leaves began turning orangish-green then all orange. That threw the flag.  I have discovered many cracks in the trunk. The growth above the trunk cracks is good and new growth is emerging as normal. Does anyone know what is causing the cracks in the trunk and is there a known remedy?  Thanks for your help in advance.

« Last Edit: July 13, 2017, 09:13:44 PM by gfaddis »

gozp

• West Hills, CA
    • View Profile
Re: Mango Tree--HELP PLEASE
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2017, 08:11:57 PM »
Upload a photo of the tree

gfaddis

• View Profile
Re: Mango Tree--HELP PLEASE
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2017, 08:20:33 PM »
Photos uploaded, thanks!

gfaddis

• View Profile
Re: Mango Tree concern...HELP PLEASE
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2017, 10:37:31 AM »
Still in high hopes to find someone on this forum that has knowledge of what is happening with my mango tree and how to protect it...thanks for any input you may have.

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2017, 12:09:33 PM »
Doing research on this,  this can be caused by extreme fluctuations in hydration,  from being very dry to getting a lot of moisture,  and also from extremes in temperature change.   given the fact you are up north, moving the tree in and out of a protected enviroment,  the tree is could be experiencing that shock,  rapid changes in temps, humidity and watering, even sunlight.   hopefully no disease has penetrated the cracks, and it heals underneath.   only think I can suggest is that you try to ease the transition when you move the tree. 

Only cases I have seen similar cracking,,  is in sun burnt trees here in the tropics.

William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2017, 12:58:37 PM »
I agree with Tropicdude and the cracking can be exacerbated by sudden high fertilizer inputs combined with hot weather causing accelerated growth and cracking.

Simon

gfaddis

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2017, 02:14:59 PM »
Thank you tropicdude, Simon...glad neither of you mentioned Kanker. Would it make be advised to treat the open cracks with something like copper oxychloride and using some sort of sealer or should I let nature takes it course? Would you advise relocating the tree back indoors and get it back to the climate controlled environment is has lived the last 8 months? Thanks again!! You have been most helpful...
« Last Edit: July 15, 2017, 02:39:24 PM by gfaddis »

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2017, 02:30:45 PM »
I don't know much about diseases in Mangos, maybe Har will see this and can chime in. Are you thinking canker caused by something like Ganoderma?

Simon

gfaddis

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2017, 02:47:43 PM »
Thanks Simon...I only mention kanker because the horticulturist at my local nursery suggested I ask about it in this forum. The nursery of 28 years aren't very familiar with tropical plants and trees because they aren't common in this part of the country. The Horticulturist was focusing in on the dark discoloration around the cracks.
You and trpicdude's explanation makes more sense to me. So now I hope to find advise on how to treat the wounds to protect the tree from disease.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2017, 03:16:42 PM by gfaddis »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk