Author Topic: Is it possible to fruit a Valentime pummelo in Canada?  (Read 3583 times)

Mtlgirl

• Canada
    • View Profile
Is it possible to fruit a Valentime pummelo in Canada?
« on: July 14, 2017, 05:34:03 PM »
Hi all,
I read Millet's wonderful review on the Valentine review and I am very tempted to acquire one. Woul it be possible to fruit this variery considering that I live on the east coast of Canada and don't have a greenhouse? It will be in a container and bring inside for winter.
Thank you for helping me

Citradia

• USA/NC/Old Fort/6B
    • View Profile
Re: Is it possible to fruit a Valentime pummelo in Canada?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2017, 09:16:50 PM »
I don't know if you'd get enough heat units annually to get good fruit in Canada, especially poor pummelo or grapefruit, but I do know citrus in pots in house in winter equals spider mite infestation; the trees should be taken outside when not below freezing and blasted with water hose and/or sprayed with a dormant oil periodically to help control spider mites. Spider mites don't like humidity and it's very dry inside homes in winter. I don't get a lot of heat units here in western NC and my satsumas fruit well, but grapefruit take too long to mature and they don't turn pink inside and are bitter.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2017, 11:00:59 PM »
Is it possible - yes.  Is it probable - probably not.  If you can provide the light, and keep the temperatures around 83 or so then  maybe.  Eventually, you would need a rather large container.

Susanne42

• Michigan Zone 5/6
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2017, 01:02:59 PM »
This brings me to the question if the valentine, (or any other citrus for that matter) does not need a break from active growing?
I always thought temps around 60 to 70 would be enough for winter months.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2017, 05:12:59 PM »
Any temperature  above the absolute 54.5-F would be enough to keep the tree growing.  Pummelos, such as the variety Valentine, require high heat requirements to mature. The heat units from temperatures such a 60 to 70 would take the fruit a very very long time to mature, and at those temperatures the fruit would produce very little soluble solids (sugars), and if it ever turned a mature coloration, the fruit would probably be very bitter (sour).
« Last Edit: July 15, 2017, 09:33:30 PM by Millet »

Citradia

• USA/NC/Old Fort/6B
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2017, 08:42:09 PM »
Yep. I can attest to that. I've not seen 90 degrees here this summer. Highs today in mid 80's, low in 50's. My Meiwa kumquat is just now starting to show little white flower buds; fruit won't be ripe until April.

Citradia

• USA/NC/Old Fort/6B
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2017, 08:52:38 PM »

This is my Croxton grapefruit from January 23. Note it is not very pink and was not very sweet. This year's Croxtons are between the size of dark green golf balls or tennis balls. I bet grapefruit are already more mature in warmer climes.

SoCal2warm

• zone 10 and zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2017, 09:43:00 PM »
You will need a heated environment during the winter and be able to maintain a fair level of humidity. And it will still need lots of light during this time.
Just treating it like a normal house plant and setting it by the window isn't going to work. And if conditions are not optimal, it may take a very long time before you ever see any fruit.
(Why is it not going to work? The inside of your home gets colder, dryer, and has less light exposure than most people trying to grow plants inside realize.)
« Last Edit: July 15, 2017, 09:50:59 PM by SoCal2warm »

Mtlgirl

• Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2017, 11:41:46 PM »
Thank you so much everyone for your answer! I will skip this variety and everything related to pummelos and also grapefruit.

Susanne42

• Michigan Zone 5/6
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2017, 08:28:32 AM »
This is very interesting. We are talking about year round temperatures or just in summer? Is it only for the oranges and grapefruits that require those temps?
I have not had fruits on my oranges yet but my tangelos were very sweet, some fruits on my Trovita and sure would love them to get sweet.

Ilya11

• France, Paris region, Vaux le Penil, middle of Northern z8
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2017, 10:02:46 AM »
Thank you so much everyone for your answer! I will skip this variety and everything related to pummelos and also grapefruit.
Please do not listen to these   "negative" opinions; I suspect many od them they are not coming from  genuine experience  but are  kind of post-truth.
In Paris region, that is more to the North than Montreal the sun light is sufficient to ripen Valentine in less than one year. In each climate it is worth to make your own experience, the citruses are hiding many surprises and are very rewarding.
Best regards,
                       Ilya

Susanne42

• Michigan Zone 5/6
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2017, 02:14:33 PM »
Thank you Ilya11, this is helpful information. I have recently bought two valentines and it would be sad not to get them ripening because of temperature or sunshine. May I ask how you keep your valentine in winter? I'm bringing them all in with artificial light and temps between low 60's at night and depending of sunshine ( one east and one south window in that room) temp can go to 78 or so. If I would need it to go 83 or higher, I would need to put either a heater in that room or get the trees in the kitchen where it will be warmer during the day.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2017, 03:27:41 PM »
A day time temperature of 78, and a night temperature of 60 should be sufficient for Valentine.

Ilya11

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2017, 04:04:05 PM »
Thank you Ilya11, this is helpful information. I have recently bought two valentines and it would be sad not to get them ripening because of temperature or sunshine. May I ask how you keep your valentine in winter? I'm bringing them all in with artificial light and temps between low 60's at night and depending of sunshine ( one east and one south window in that room) temp can go to 78 or so. If I would need it to go 83 or higher, I would need to put either a heater in that room or get the trees in the kitchen where it will be warmer during the day.
I am trying to keep it as much as I can outside. In the winter it is close to the door of my garage and unheated frame backing the South side of the house. It is mounted on the small cart and I am moving it inside only when night temperatures descend to -4C. Inside the garage in the dark it can be kept for around two weeks at temperatures around 8C.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 04:06:36 PM by Ilya11 »
Best regards,
                       Ilya

Susanne42

• Michigan Zone 5/6
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2017, 04:30:59 PM »
Thank you Millet. So that means when the fruit needs to ripen or just year round?

Susanne42

• Michigan Zone 5/6
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2017, 04:37:14 PM »
Code: [Select]
I am trying to keep it as much as I can outside. In the winter it is close to the door of my garage and unheated frame backing the South side of the house. It is mounted on the small cart and I am moving it inside only when night temperatures descend to -4C. Inside the garage in the dark it can be kept for around two weeks at temperatures around 8C.Ilya it sounds like your temps are not getting as low as here in MI or in Canada. Here is can get to -20C and with arctic wind chills even lower. I assume the tree does not has any fruits when you keep it in the cold dark? Or do they go in resting mode and ripen as soon as it gets warmer at your place?

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2017, 04:39:58 PM »
Ilya11  I'm really surprised that the Valentine pummelo developed by the University of California at Riverside has already been released to Europe. 
« Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 04:44:44 PM by Millet »

Citradia

• USA/NC/Old Fort/6B
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2017, 06:39:10 PM »
Latitude in Europe doesn't compare to latitude in America. We get severe low temps here in USA and Canada despite being further south of the arctic circle than Paris because we don't have the warm Atlantic Ocean to modulate freezing temps coming from north west in winter. I learned that at a southeastern citrus expo one year. My citrus are outside and I protect them in winter with plastic sheeting and space heaters. However, my point of negativity about quality of grapefruit specifically that I've learned from experience and from others on this forum is that I don't have enough heat in summer or a long enough growing season in my climate to fully mature heat-needing citrus. I used to think if I could focus on their survival in winter the fruit would mature like any other. I was wrong. I still keep my grapefruit trees and will protect them in winter as long as I can because I love plants, they're beautiful, and I don't want them to die. Best wishes to all, and that's for all the valuable info. Citrus in cold climes has been an exciting learning experience.

Ilya11

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2017, 07:41:59 AM »
My point was than despite quite moderate temperatures during growing season here at latitude 48°51' pomelos and their hybrids are able to ripen and accumulate enough sugar.
My average yearly minimum is -8.9C and soil could be frozen for up to two weeks without snow and with  strong winds. Every 5 years we have winters with one - two nights of -12.5C and every 30 years there is an extreme cold of -18C. It is possible to keep citruses in the dark with the fruits if temperatures are not exceeding +10C. For my "cold hardy " hybrids I prefer in arctic episodes to keep them either in the dark in poly-foam cover or to use hessian cover with ventilation. It keeps soil unfrozen and prevents sun beats in the day time.
Best regards,
                       Ilya