Author Topic: Best tasting Inga?  (Read 2095 times)

barath

• Southern California, USDA Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Best tasting Inga?
« on: July 19, 2017, 11:44:39 AM »
I've been curious what folks think are the best tasting Inga species / varieties.  I've tried a few different types but have never been sure about the differences in flavor between species, especially when grown in California.  And the labeling for this genus seems pretty bad -- most folks who I know who are growing it don't know the species.  Anyone have thoughts on which species produce the best tasting pulp?

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
Re: Best tasting Inga?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2017, 08:25:35 PM »
I am growing the following species of inga, which i think are all correctly labeled:
edulis, vulpina, gauchil, fastuosa, cinnamomea, feuillei, spectabilis. Hope to get a few more to grow and compare. But too soon to tell you which is the "best" tasting. Hope to have a taste report in time to come. Right now i'm kind of especially fond of spectabilis, mostly because it is very large and has lots of good pulp. I just planted a windbreak row with all these different species, 4 of each species.
Oscar

gozp

• West Hills, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2017, 08:48:36 PM »
Was wondering what kind if inga is this??

arvind

• Malaysia
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2017, 09:57:53 PM »
This week i watched weird explorer on you tube.Jared tasted three types of ingas one in Bolivia(inga feullei) and in bogota( spectabilis and an unnamed one).Can anyone help id the unnamed inga which he said has hint of ice cream in the flavor?

barath

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2017, 12:32:59 AM »
I am growing the following species of inga, which i think are all correctly labeled:
edulis, vulpina, gauchil, fastuosa, cinnamomea, feuillei, spectabilis. Hope to get a few more to grow and compare. But too soon to tell you which is the "best" tasting. Hope to have a taste report in time to come. Right now i'm kind of especially fond of spectabilis, mostly because it is very large and has lots of good pulp. I just planted a windbreak row with all these different species, 4 of each species.

Great to hear.  I planted one Inga spectabilis I grew from seed from you -- it survived the winter here with some damage (in a spot that probably hit 30F or so this winter) but is growing well again.

arvind

• Malaysia
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2017, 05:38:31 AM »

Great to hear.  I planted one Inga spectabilis I grew from seed from you -- it survived the winter here with some damage (in a spot that probably hit 30F or so this winter) but is growing well again.
how old and how tall is the tree?

barath

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2017, 06:29:26 AM »

how old and how tall is the tree?

It's maybe 2-3 years old now but I only planted it in the ground about 9 months ago.  It's probably 3.5 feet tall, but it's quite wide -- maybe 5 feet in diameter.  The branches are spreading out.