Author Topic: Haden Mango Tree. To Keep or Pull out.  (Read 2078 times)

igrowmangos

• USA, East Central Florida, Plant Zone 9B
    • View Profile
    • Mango Tree Growers Of America (Facebook Page Admin)
Haden Mango Tree. To Keep or Pull out.
« on: July 28, 2017, 12:36:31 PM »
Well, I finally ran out of space in my yard for any more trees. I want to space out two trees but in order to do so I must remove one tree. I am torn because I have a Haden and I like the fruit and it was my first fruiting mango tree. However, I have better varieties but, I am going to ask for you opinions. So, for the Haden, should I keep it or pull it. Thanks!
“When life gives you lemons, throw it back & say, “I said I wanted a MANGO!”

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Haden Mango Tree. To Keep or Pull out.
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2017, 02:09:44 PM »
Top work it and keep a small branch. Graft multiple varieties with the san growth habit.

Simon

igrowmangos

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2017, 03:23:50 PM »
Use it as rootstock or zion?

TheDom

• Fort Myers, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2017, 03:56:33 PM »
Use it as rootstock or zion?

Rootstock, and graft scions of the other varieties you want on top of it. Search the forum for topworking mango and I'm sure you'll get some good posts, but the basic idea is you cut it back to the main scaffold limbs you want and graft new varieties on to those limbs. Be sure to put tags on so you remember what is what.
Dom

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2017, 04:14:35 PM »
My recommendation,  for what its worth as I am just a straw biting townhouse know-nothing hillbilly, is to limit the topworking to two varieties.
- Rob

igrowmangos

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2017, 04:26:56 PM »
Thanks everyone.. sounds like a great idea. I will definitely look in to it. I don't graft but this could be my first ride. I like the idea...is it a good time to graft? If so, when is not a good time to graft...

TheDom

• Fort Myers, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2017, 04:32:16 PM »
My recommendation,  for what its worth as I am just a straw biting townhouse know-nothing hillbilly, is to limit the topworking to two varieties.

Don't be modest now Rob, you deserve at least another 3 or 4 adjectives there.  ;D

Yes, now is a good time to graft, when mangos are growing vigorously. Try to get budwood that has swollen buds but isn't already pushing. Bark grafting is pretty straight forward and easy enough to do 3 or 4 scions per limb so you have good odds of getting at least one to take.

Dom

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2017, 04:39:27 PM »
If you are uncomfortable top working your tree, you may be able to hire a professional like Har to do it for you.

Here's part 1 of a video that describes top working a mango tree. There are other videos out there.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LyDpXouUAiU

I agree with Rob, keeping the number of varieties you graft onto your tree around 2-3 will make it easier to maintain each variety. Having tons of varieties grafted onto a tree is awesome but better left to professionals that can maintain the tree.

Simon

igrowmangos

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2017, 04:54:31 PM »
So does anyone know if I should relocate the Haden and them top work and then graft? Will the grafts take place while the tree is getting used to it's new home?

TheDom

• Fort Myers, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2017, 06:15:19 PM »
So does anyone know if I should relocate the Haden and them top work and then graft? Will the grafts take place while the tree is getting used to it's new home?

No, leave the tree in place if you're going to topwork it. The whole point of topworking is that you're getting the benefit of some already firmly established roots to grow your new varieties on. Growing roots takes time, and if this is a tree that's already well established your new grafts will grow more quickly than they would if they had to grow from a totally new planting. Digging it out pretty much ruins any point of topworking. If you're really set on digging it out and putting it in a new spot, I'd just go ahead and buy another better mango for the other spot you're looking at moving it to.
Dom

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk