Author Topic: planting out a cherimoya, special circumstances  (Read 979 times)

Zafra

• tropical, around 2700ft elevation
    • View Profile
    • Casa Abya Yala
planting out a cherimoya, special circumstances
« on: August 08, 2017, 06:53:34 PM »
I've got a cherimoya carrying it's first fruit, and its nursery bag is disintegrating. Oops. I wonder if planting it out at this point will be any more traumatic than giving it a new bag? Is there any way I could expect to save the fruit, or will I lose it because of the transplant? I was so looking forward to trying this fruit!
Second question, will cherimoya do ok on a mountainside where it gets morning sun but will have to get a bit taller to reach the afternoon sun? Or does it really need all day full sun to grow well?
Thanks for any input!

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
    • LED Bulbs for Landscape Lighting
Re: planting out a cherimoya, special circumstances
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2017, 07:00:43 PM »
you are stunting the plant by thinking you can enjoy that fruit. I would remove the fruit, put tree into the ground and let it establish and pray for fruits next year.

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2017, 07:20:11 PM »
I agree with Behl that the fruit should be removed. You can probably plant it into the ground and if the roots are not damaged much, the fruit may hold. Even if the fruit holds, the quality may not be good because it is a small, unestablished tree. It will be fine with partial shade until it gets older.

Simon

Zafra

• tropical, around 2700ft elevation
    • View Profile
    • Casa Abya Yala
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2017, 07:52:09 PM »
 :'(
Ok ok I'll remove the fruit. I had hoped since it's a seedling I could let it do its thing. sigh.
Thanks I think I've got it's spot then!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk