Author Topic: First fruiting for Sir Prize cado. Harvest when?  (Read 2283 times)

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
First fruiting for Sir Prize cado. Harvest when?
« on: August 13, 2017, 10:11:03 AM »
Grafted last year, am letting 4 fruit hang on one branch of a Frankencado.  Bloomed in February.  When to harvest, November or when the skin starts turning black?

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
Re: First fruiting for Sir Prize cado. Harvest when?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2017, 12:13:44 PM »
Oh they got quiet a while......earliest is November they get huge some 3lb

Samu

• North Tustin, So. California, Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2017, 01:57:02 PM »
Oh they got quiet a while......earliest is November they get huge some 3lb

Mark, I was so eager to taste my first of 2 Sir Prize fruits, so I harvested mine on Dec 15 2015; I found out they were still too young: the fruits was just bland tasting; (see foto below) so I'll be more patient this time around... :D.

It had no flower in 2016; flowered in Feb 2017 and have some fruits hanging at this time. Does anyone know if SP is an alternate bearing tree? Is there anything we can do to prevent this from happening?
Sam

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2017, 05:47:14 PM »
JF, notes from U.C.R say they turn black when mature.  Is that correct?

Yeah, probably needed more hang time Samu.  Also if a young tree may not have hit its stride regarding fruit quality.

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2017, 05:56:41 PM »

Yeah, probably needed more hang time Samu.  Also if a young tree may not have hit its stride regarding fruit quality.

They do turn black not as much as lamb hass but I was surprised to seing 3 pounders wow!! Sam is right you gotta give them their hang time or you'll have Floridas watercados

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2017, 09:50:04 AM »

They do turn black not as much as lamb hass but I was surprised to seing 3 pounders wow!! Sam is right you gotta give them their hang time or you'll have Floridas watercados

Thanks, will do.  If you guys pick yours around November mine will probably make a nice Xmas gift, for me.

shot

• usa fl bokeelia 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2017, 09:59:28 AM »
Do they have any hope in florida climate for production?

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2017, 10:59:00 PM »
It killed me to do it but had to remove 1/3 or so off my sir prize fruit today.  It was falling over even with 3 stakes on it.  I tied up the branches with fruit on them to lessen the load on the rest of the tree.  Its the only tree that did hardly any self thinning.   :(

Brad Spaugh

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2017, 09:11:19 AM »
It killed me to do it but had to remove 1/3 or so off my sir prize fruit today.  It was falling over even with 3 stakes on it.  I tied up the branches with fruit on them to lessen the load on the rest of the tree.  Its the only tree that did hardly any self thinning.   :(

That's tough but you do what you have to do.  While staking a branch laden with 4 fruit yesterday I found 3 more on it!  Pulled one.  Of the 4 grafts I did, only the Sir Prize is holding 6 fruit and the Holiday is holding one.  All fruit on the Ardith and Pinkerton dropped on their own.

What I don't understand is the massive drop on my Reed.  I once had about 100.  Probably have only 15 left now.  BIG disappointment.

Spaugh, I recommend you thin your tree after fruit set like the peach growers do around here. They remove at least 40% of the fruit at pea size.  Of course that is mainly for marketing and sales.  Makes for bigger, colorful fruit.

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2017, 11:05:22 AM »
Yeah I have a big peach tree and some apple trees and do the same.  Have to remove about 75% of the fruit on those.  I am still learning with avocados.  It seems like only the sir prize and maybe reed need to be thinned here so far.  The Sir Prize probably needs that much more removed.   Definitely would have been better to do it months ago. 

« Last Edit: August 15, 2017, 11:08:16 AM by spaugh »
Brad Spaugh

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2017, 09:08:57 AM »
One of the oldest peach growers in this area gave me some of his Harvester peaches to sample.  Notice the size compared to my homegrown.  Yeah, I know, mine looks like shit but that was due to letting the tree go cause of recent back surgery.  Harvester is a very reliable, productive tree for a 700 - 800 chill hr. area.

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2017, 11:12:43 PM »
Looks ok to me.  Small still tastes good.  Had a coyote actually climbing 6ft up in my peach tree and eating them all this year.  Took me 2 weeks of trying to shoot at it in the middle of the night before I set a snare and caught it.
Brad Spaugh

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2017, 08:13:30 AM »
Looks ok to me.  Small still tastes good.  Had a coyote actually climbing 6ft up in my peach tree and eating them all this year.  Took me 2 weeks of trying to shoot at it in the middle of the night before I set a snare and caught it.

All creatures and that includes birds get desperate under summer droughty conditions.  In spite of very careful tieing of 17' W together under and around the canopies, stakes and vines I've probably killed or let free about 20 birds this season on 200 vines.  Raccoons will grab the netting, swing to the fruiting zone and strip the clusters clean with their hands.