Author Topic: Start melon seeds in autumn  (Read 1333 times)

Siyu98

• Italy, Zone 8
    • View Profile
Start melon seeds in autumn
« on: August 13, 2017, 01:19:13 PM »
I have a question:
Since I will be away from home for many months during the year, I have not much time to sow my melon/watermelon/cucumber seeds in spring. So, I'm planning to plant them in september (a week before leaving) inside some little containers. I will tell my sister to give water and to bring them indoors during winter. When I will be back at the end of may, I will finally plant them in my garden and take care of them.
Do you think I will be successful doing this? Will the plants be alive?
« Last Edit: August 13, 2017, 01:21:36 PM by Siyu98 »

Daintree

• Boise, Idaho - zone 6, with a zone 12 greenhouse...
    • View Profile
Re: Start melon seeds in autumn
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2017, 11:33:30 PM »
I have grown a lot of melons in my greenhouse, and they grow really well but don't like to bloom and fruit in the winter without extra light.  So when you get back in the spring, they may have taken over your house...

Carolyn

Siyu98

• Italy, Zone 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2017, 04:35:22 AM »
I plan to use ordinary yogurt containers to grow them. And temperatures are chilly in my house during winter. I don't think they would grow much

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2017, 11:04:04 AM »
Wouldnt it be easier to just start them in spring?  Or have your family start them then if you are not there.
Brad Spaugh

Siyu98

• Italy, Zone 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2017, 04:16:47 AM »
It is just an hypothesis. Just asking for opinions

Daintree

• Boise, Idaho - zone 6, with a zone 12 greenhouse...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2017, 10:54:11 AM »
I would put them in bigger containers, so they can develop more root mass over the winter. That would be the advantage of starting them so early.  Then when you put them out in the spring they would have a good head-start.  I do that with my tomatoes and such, and people are always saying "holy cow, how did you get ripe fruit in May?!?!?" We usually can't plant tomatoes and melons until mid-May, and the ones I start inside in the fall are all blooming and ready to fruit the second I put them out.  Makes me a hero with the neighborhood bees for about a month...

Carolyn

WaterFowler

• Coachella Valley
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2017, 12:41:53 PM »
I don't know about starting in autumn and growing them indoors (hope they have lots of light) but I know a farmer who starts his Korean melons in the winter inside his greenhouse so they are ready for his 20 acres in the spring. It gives him a head start over his competition who direct sow. Even if he gains only 2 weeks, that can mean the difference between  $40/box and $15/box.