Author Topic: Luc's Mexican Garcinia  (Read 6354 times)

Jessg333

• Honolulu, Hi
    • View Profile
Luc's Mexican Garcinia
« on: August 21, 2017, 09:41:23 PM »
Can anyone explain the difference in taste between the Achacha and Luc's Mexican Garcinia. Which one is sweeter and has better flavor? I finally got my hands on a couple Achacha plants and then heard about Lucangosteen and am wondering if I should try plant those as well or instead of the Achacha. I have a small back yard in Honolulu but am trying to fill it up with tropical fruit trees. I'm not a great gardener but I'm trying to learn :)

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
Re: Luc's Mexican Garcinia
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2017, 10:00:41 PM »
I've only had achachairu, but am growing both. There are probably all of 3 people on the planet that have had both fruits side by side. Anyway, the achachairu is a top notch fruit, and according to all of the 3 lucky ones, the Mexican fruit is bigger and better. So i would recommend planting both if you can.
BTW, most or all? of the Mexican garcinia is growing in the wild. So it's not really known how quality would be affected when cultivated? My guess is that it would be even better when the soil is fertilized?
Oscar

dwfl

• Bokeelia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2017, 10:26:46 PM »
I've been lucky enough to taste them both, both are very good but very different. Luc's mexican garcinia has more acidity and "bite" (hence a common name limoncillo) than achachairu. The flavors are very different. Luc's yellow colored flesh, Achachairu white. The mexican garcinia is a bigger fruit, has bigger seeds, more edible flesh, thinner skin. I'd plant both! Maybe Raul and/or Luc will answer further as I believe they did an actual side by side tasting of both fruits while I tasted them separately and months apart (more reason to plant both! They don't fruit at same time).

Raulglezruiz

• Puerto Vallarta,Mexico. Lat 21.5 Semi Tropical
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2017, 10:42:09 PM »
I have tried both side by side several times, sometimes I prefer one over the other, I remember after the second harvest of my Achachairu I thought of getting rid of if because fruit was too acid, for some reason reasons I didn't do it and next year wow! Fruit was sweet! Achachairu is sweet /tart as Mexican Garcinia, the flavor and texture are different, Achachairu is like Spicy while MG has more of a lemony citrus flavor maybe is the reason that locals call it "limoncillo" about texture Achachairu is kind of cottony flesh like the mangosteen while MG is more like soft and creamy like an Ice cream,
I would say the balance between sweet /tart would be the same, Achachairu rind is thick and not edible out of hand while MG is thin like tomato, as far as size you can see the picture,
I would plant both if I were you..
El verde es vida!

Guayaba

• USA, California, San Diego, 10b Sunset 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2017, 10:58:55 PM »
Okay you guys have convinced me to plant both.  They both sound like top notch fruit....and really good.  Now I just need to find a place to plant them.....and the patience to wait for them to fruit!  8)
Bob

Jessg333

• Honolulu, Hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2017, 03:49:00 AM »
Thanks dwfl and Raul for the explanation. Sounds like they both are excellent fruit. Oscar are you going to get the seeds back in stock?

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2017, 05:42:16 AM »
Thanks dwfl and Raul for the explanation. Sounds like they both are excellent fruit. Oscar are you going to get the seeds back in stock?
Yes, but will not be available again till next March-April. I do have some plants, and can mail to Honolulu, if interested, then PM me.
Oscar

Finca La Isla

• Costa Rica, Southern Caribbean coast
    • View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2017, 10:49:32 AM »
Achachacharu is anfairly steady grower that can produce in five years from a seed for us.  Luc's garcinia is decidedly slow. 
Some questions:
Are the trees in the wild in shade or sun?
How large are they when they begin production, height, and trunk diameter?
Thanks, Peter

BestDay

• Long Beach, CA 10B 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2017, 05:31:24 PM »
Peter if you don't mind I would like to know at what size the Achachairu start to fruit at. Also do you notice any difference in production or fruit quality of sun versus shade grown Achachairu trees?

Thanks
Bill

Finca La Isla

• Costa Rica, Southern Caribbean coast
    • View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2017, 06:18:28 PM »
For me achacharu is a tree that is about as wide as it is tall.  4m tall with a trunk diameter of 10cm, 4" is about when they will flower.  I think they tolerate shade pretty well and the fruit is the same. There should. be some part of the day when they get direct, or almost direct sun.
Peter

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk