Author Topic: Best Jaboticaba for Southern California?  (Read 5095 times)

barath

• Southern California, USDA Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Best Jaboticaba for Southern California?
« on: August 21, 2017, 10:12:45 PM »
What might be the best Jaboticaba varieties and/or cultivars for Southern California?  The main criteria for me, in order from most important to least important, are: productivity, flavor, fruit size, some drought tolerance, alkaline soil tolerance.

John Travis

• Winter Park FL 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Best Jaboticaba for Southern California?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2017, 10:57:56 PM »
Based on your conditions you might want a grimal. They seem more drought tolerant than other varieties, have large fruit with small seeds and you get two crops per year. You might still need to amend the soil a bit, but it's a great fruit!
John

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2017, 11:49:28 PM »
I live in Florida and I have 3 red jabos that flower about every 30-45 days for over a year now,
Very thin skin and delicious. I have them in 15 gallon pots now. I put a smaller one in the ground
and had to dig it back up and it still hasn't recovered a year later. I notice the leave's tips are brown on the
end and all the plant's leaves were starting to turn yellow and I stashed them under a tree to cut down on direct
sun but the bottom line for me is they flower every 30-45 days for over a year. I was wondering if the
trees are happy or stressed to cause the constant flowering and I don't know for sure. I am not sure what
will work in Southern CA. you may try several and see for your area.

Alekhan

• US, FL, Clearwater, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2017, 12:00:17 AM »
I have a red jabo too. This variety fruit early (3-4 years). I would suggest growing in a container also, in addition put a big pan on the bottom of the container so there always be water soaking. Put on the south west side of the house to avoid the Santa winds.

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2017, 12:16:48 AM »
Definitely red jabo they are precocious and will flower and fruit all year long in our climate. Grimal and Sabara take a while to flower but are also excellent fruits.

wayne23

• San Gabriel, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2017, 02:13:03 AM »

I am growing a Mycriaria Grimal in 15gal container.  It has a tag from Pine Island Nursery.  The fruit I tasted from another more mature tree was delicious.  Hopefully my will produce fruits soon.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2017, 06:36:34 AM »

I am growing a Mycriaria Grimal in 15gal container.  It has a tag from Pine Island Nursery.  The fruit I tasted from another more mature tree was delicious.  Hopefully my will produce fruits soon.

Good luck with yhe hope of "soon"..
- Rob

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2017, 09:38:30 AM »
I have Fruited Red Hybrid, Sabara and Grimal and they all taste delicious. The red hybrid is definitely the most precious with a bit of blueberry yogurt flavor. The red hybrid is well adapted to our alkaline soil but it suckers like crazy and I believe this is why Adam(Flyingfoxfruits) doesn't like to use it as a rootstock.

Sabaras are very sweet but ungrafted trees take a while to fruit. The flavor is very sweet and it has less depth of flavor to my palate. It has less acidity and is therefore less complex in flavor profile.

My only Grimal is a grafted tree from Adam and the fruit can get pretty big considering my tree was only about 12-16 inches tall and had a trunk about the thickness of a sharpie when it first fruited. I can remember the flavor profile of this variety but I do remember it was really good. I'm sure I posted pictures and a flavor description somewhere on this forum.

A grafted tree can get you fruit sooner if Grafted with mature fruiting scions. A multigrafted tree may be something to consider if you are short on space. Jabs grow great in containers.

Simon

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2017, 09:41:08 AM »
I found the thread. The Grimal also has a hint of blueberry flavor to my palate.
http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=21427.0

Simon

barath

• Southern California, USDA Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2017, 01:09:49 AM »
Thanks everyone for the feedback.  I have a few Grimals I started from seed a few years ago in containers, and some other Jabos whose tags are missing.  I remember Red Jabo grew slowly when I had a small plant, but maybe I need to try again.

Seanny

• Garden Grove, Orange County, California, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2017, 01:55:43 AM »
Where can we get these red seeds?

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2017, 08:19:03 AM »
I got my seeds from Oscar. http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=84

I just gave two fruit of the red hybrid to my friend to sample and he said it reminded him of mangosteen.

Simon

wayne23

• San Gabriel, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2017, 11:58:18 AM »
Simon, how long did it take from seed to the point where the tree can bear fruits?  thanks

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2017, 12:34:07 AM »
I forget. I neglected my tree and I think it was approximately 4 years but can't confirm it. I would think you can get it to fruit in about three years if taken are of properly.

Simon

wayne23

• San Gabriel, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2017, 01:48:51 PM »
ok.  thanks.

Does anyone know where I can find a red variety in Southern Cal?  thanks

John Travis

• Winter Park FL 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2017, 04:39:06 PM »

I"m no expert, but I don't think this is a grimal. The leaf shape and color seem a little off. I have several grimal trees and I have never seen and pink/red in the new growth. It looks a lot more like a sabara to me. In any case I hope you get fruit soon!
John

wayne23

• San Gabriel, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2017, 06:17:41 PM »

I"m no expert, but I don't think this is a grimal. The leaf shape and color seem a little off. I have several grimal trees and I have never seen and pink/red in the new growth. It looks a lot more like a sabara to me. In any case I hope you get fruit soon!

Maybe my mistake.  This is my first jabo.  If someone can kindly help me identify it that would appreciated.

luak

• U.S, Arkansas, Eureka Springs,Z7.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2017, 07:55:14 PM »
If it grow in Arkansas it will certainly grow in California. I bought a red jabo from Adam and it is doing pretty good to say the least.

OCchris1

• Old Towne Orange, CA 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2017, 02:04:20 AM »
Wayne, that's a 'Sabara' jaboticaba. Chris
-Chris