Author Topic: Hang on tight and stay safe - Texas members  (Read 6390 times)

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
Hang on tight and stay safe - Texas members
« on: August 26, 2017, 10:36:45 AM »
So I know there is nothing about tropical fruits on my subject but I wanted to let all our Texas based members that our thoughts are with you and hope you fair well through Harvey.

.. hope your trees make it through safely - there stuck something in about plants.

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Hang on tight and stay safe - Texas members
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2017, 10:47:02 AM »
Indeed folks in Texas are in for a load of rain for sure stay save y'all Mark,Ed and others!!

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
    • LED Bulbs for Landscape Lighting
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2017, 11:57:06 AM »
Send some rain our way (no winds) in So Cal, more than welcome here

knlim000

• redwood city,ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2017, 12:35:49 PM »
yeah, we'll trade earthquake for the typhoon.

AnnonaMangoLord45

• LeafyMango
  • I love Mangoes
    • SoCal zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2017, 12:44:17 PM »
Ditto, I would love a hurricane in SoCal

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2017, 01:07:34 PM »
Dumbest comments I have heard on this forum (and there have been many)...you obviously dont know what it is like to take a direct hit from a Cat 1, 2 or 3 (forget 4 and 5) hurricane.   Maybe some dont care cause they look at it as "no school" but I guarantee if you OWNED your home, were responsible for the care of your home and paying bills you wouldn't say you want a hurricane...maybe ask your parents if they want one.  A hurricane is not just beneficial rain.  Oh, to ckarify, we dont get typhoons in this hemisphere.

God soeed to those who were or will be in the path of Harvey ir his effects....
- Rob

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2017, 01:12:54 PM »
Thanks Orkine!

Rode out the worst in Corpus Christi, like Celia and luckily Corpus was spared.  Wife's sister lives there alone, came thru it really well.  Eye went over NE of there at Port Aransas where 62 of 65 shrimp boats sunk, major damage, etc.  Rockport just up the road really got hammered with law enforcement not able to communicate because of downed cell towers, buildings destroyed, trees uprooted etc.  Mayor of Rockport warned the residents yesterday "if you choose to stay write your name and Social Security number on your arm".  That was after a mandatory evacuation was issued.  Victoria and area is getting hammered with rains and winds.

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2017, 01:55:04 PM »
Best of luck to all the Texans out there. Stay safe, trees can always be replanted.

Simon

shinzo

• High Density Urban Cultivator
    • Tunis (Tunisia) - 10 b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2017, 07:52:35 PM »
Best of luck to all the Texans out there. Stay safe, trees can always be replanted.

Simon
Well said, stay safe guys!

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2017, 09:06:25 AM »
Many areas around Texas reporting 13" and more just in the last 24 hours.  Bastrop and Houston are just getting hammered as the system sits over central to east Texas and just dumps.  :-[  One fatality in Rockport, town is pretty much blown away.

FRUITBOXHERO

• Coral Springs Fl
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2017, 11:53:19 AM »
WTF who would ask for a hurricane? My sister is in Texas her house is flooded her roof caved in got 18 inches of rain and it's still raining... in fact I pray a cat 5 slams just your house while your home!
To all others in Texas be safe! A lot more rain on the way!!
Joe

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2017, 11:53:50 AM »
Poor Houston, I hope you didn't suffer any property damage be safe.

Mikey

• San Diego, ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2017, 07:49:26 PM »
Prayers to everyone affected by the storm.  I don't think anyone want to trade a natural disasters for another.  We can only offer our supports and friendship in their time of needs.  I wish all is well for those affected.

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2017, 08:54:59 PM »
Hang in there everyone in Texas and pull together. We are all wishing you well!

Jose Spain

• Marbella, Spain. Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2017, 06:31:58 PM »
Hope you all are safe guys, wishing you the best from this side of the ocean.

Daintree

• Boise, Idaho - zone 6, with a zone 12 greenhouse...
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2017, 06:55:29 PM »
Dumbest comments I have heard on this forum (and there have been many)...you obviously dont know what it is like to take a direct hit from a Cat 1, 2 or 3 (forget 4 and 5) hurricane.   Maybe some dont care cause they look at it as "no school" but I guarantee if you OWNED your home, were responsible for the care of your home and paying bills you wouldn't say you want a hurricane...maybe ask your parents if they want one.  A hurricane is not just beneficial rain.  Oh, to ckarify, we dont get typhoons in this hemisphere.

God soeed to those who were or will be in the path of Harvey ir his effects....

Come on guys. Lighten up on AnnonaMangoLord45 and our other California friends.  Of course they weren't making light of a hurricane.  They are watching the news like everyone else and know what's up.  But like everyone else in a drought-stricken area, they were just trying to say "some rain here would sure be nice".   

The whole country is praying for all those affected by the storm.

Carolyn

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2017, 07:09:35 PM »
Best to everyone in Texas riding out this storm. My question is where does all this water in the flooded areas go? These Houston areas might be flooded for 10 days or more as they wait for the water to seep downward. I don't see any other escape for the water except some evaporation.

andrewq

• USA, Texas, Houston, 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2017, 11:41:28 PM »
Best to everyone in Texas riding out this storm. My question is where does all this water in the flooded areas go? These Houston areas might be flooded for 10 days or more as they wait for the water to seep downward. I don't see any other escape for the water except some evaporation.

the flooded water will eventually get drained into the large waterways (i.e. "bayous") which are basically gigantic canals. the bayous will hold the water and slowly drain off to Galveston Bay and the gulf. ideally people need to keep the drain grates clear of debris, but flooded areas will be nearly impossible to do.

we've had bad flooding and the bayous got widened to hold more water. last years rain didn't flood as bad as it could have because of the bayou expansion. the fact that the bayou had increase capacity and it still flooded so much is testament to how much rainfall occurred in such a short time span.

edit: btw, CERTAIN highways in Houston are also designed to hold water (i.e. flood) to protect the highways used for evacuation and homes. the media keeps showing photos of places that are designed to flood which isn't a big deal.  the more worrisome pictures are highways and areas that aren't supposed to hold water that got flooded
« Last Edit: August 28, 2017, 11:45:22 PM by andrewq »

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2017, 07:13:42 AM »

the flooded water will eventually get drained into the large waterways (i.e. "bayous") which are basically gigantic canals. the bayous will hold the water and slowly drain off to Galveston Bay and the gulf. ideally people need to keep the drain grates clear of debris, but flooded areas will be nearly impossible to do.

we've had bad flooding and the bayous got widened to hold more water. last years rain didn't flood as bad as it could have because of the bayou expansion. the fact that the bayou had increase capacity and it still flooded so much is testament to how much rainfall occurred in such a short time span.

edit: btw, CERTAIN highways in Houston are also designed to hold water (i.e. flood) to protect the highways used for evacuation and homes. the media keeps showing photos of places that are designed to flood which isn't a big deal.  the more worrisome pictures are highways and areas that aren't supposed to hold water that got flooded

That makes sense. There are two dams above the bayous that are so full that they are going to have to release water. This will fill the bayous making drainage from Houston more difficult. Better unclog all storm drains in Houston  as best can be done even with divers and equipment.

andrewq

• USA, Texas, Houston, 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2017, 08:23:45 AM »
they released water from two reservoirs last night and the prior night to have controlled release so the dams wouldn't blow. the bayou levels didn't rise as much as estimate

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2017, 09:35:06 AM »
they released water from two reservoirs last night and the prior night to have controlled release so the dams wouldn't blow. the bayou levels didn't rise as much as estimate

Turn on FOX news.  Been releasing water for days but the flooding pressure was too much.  Both levees breached (overflowed) causing massive flooding to area subdivisions.  Rainfall is now 50+ inches.

Wanna help?

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2017/08/28/546745827/looking-to-help-those-affected-by-harvey-here-s-a-list

sapote

• USA, CA, Burbank, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2017, 02:11:01 PM »
I hope everyone rides out Harvey safely.

On a different note. I was thinking about the major pest for all of us Southern states: Argentinean ants (and others like fire ant). On this kind of major flood -- in volume and duration -- I wonder are these ants  being exterminated?

greenman62

• CharlesitaveNB
    • [url=https://vgruk.com/]vgr uk[/url]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2017, 03:48:28 PM »

I went through Katrina in New Orleans, so yeah, this is serious.
Luckily, i only had 1 inch of water in my house
just enough to ruin flooring and furniture .

living with no electricity in 98F temps is no fun.
sleeping with the windows closed is not an option
open windows invited mosquitoes by the hordes.
i slept on my roof more than 1 night.

safe drinking water is a top priority
i sure hope FEMA is able to get them that at least.
millions of people are displaced, and might be for weeks if not months.
thats a lot of bottles of Dasani.

forumfool

• Canton, GA 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2017, 05:01:29 PM »
I hope everyone rides out Harvey safely.

On a different note. I was thinking about the major pest for all of us Southern states: Argentinean ants (and others like fire ant). On this kind of major flood -- in volume and duration -- I wonder are these ants  being exterminated?

Unfortunately they float and form "ant rafts" until the flooding goes away.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-41093596

sapote

• USA, CA, Burbank, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2017, 05:14:25 PM »
This is a once in a lifetime chance -- they all concentrated in one big immobilized mass. I wanted to paddle out with a bucket of detergent...

Or... Do fried fire ants taste good? They look plump.

"People searching for fire ants on Google are also likely to search for how to kill them, it turns out, so here's the lowdown - squeeze some detergent on them, and the surface tension will be broken and they'll drown."