Author Topic: HELP! Sick trees!  (Read 1512 times)

Fruity777

• USA. California. Simi Valley
    • View Profile
HELP! Sick trees!
« on: August 31, 2017, 10:34:19 PM »
I have 2 Valencia orange and 2 navel orange trees I planted almost a year ago. They all are making nice fruit but the leaves of the new froth look all crinkly and grarled. I have included 2 photos. Does any one know what is wrong and how to treat it without making the fruit inedible. I promised my little boy I would make him a glass of orange juice with the first oranges. Thank you in advance. - Mark

countryboy1981

• 8B Alabama
    • View Profile
Re: HELP! Sick trees!
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2017, 10:36:30 PM »
Those are citrus leafminers.  Nothing to worry about unless it is a young seedling.

Fruity777

• USA. California. Simi Valley
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2017, 11:17:44 PM »
It seems to be hurting the new growth. The trees are about 2-3 yrs old. Will this just go away on its own or need to be treated? Harmless to the tree?

countryboy1981

• 8B Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2017, 08:35:59 AM »
Leafminers come back every year here but dont become active until May or June.  All growth next year until the leafminers appear will not have the damage to the leaves (citrus leafminers for the most part only attack the new growth).  You can get soil drench pesticides to kill them or just let them be.

Susanne42

• Michigan Zone 5/6
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2017, 09:21:56 AM »
Just be aware that if you use "soil drench" or systemic pesticide, that this will be in the fruits too. For trees this small you can put a fine netting up to prevent the LM moth laying eggs on the new flush.

mrtexas

• USA, Sugarland,TX 9B
    • View Profile
    • MrTexasCitrus
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2017, 08:45:44 PM »
Just be aware that if you use "soil drench" or systemic pesticide, that this will be in the fruits too. For trees this small you can put a fine netting up to prevent the LM moth laying eggs on the new flush.

Not if label directions are followed. Systemics are used on lots of vegetables in the grocery. https://sites.google.com/site/mrtexascitrus/home/leafminers