Author Topic: Hang on tight and stay safe - Texas members  (Read 6391 times)

WGphil

• Winter Garden Florida 9B
    • View Profile
Re: Hang on tight and stay safe - Texas members
« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2017, 01:07:31 PM »
When will they ever learn to release all inland water possible, before it gets there.

Good luck as I know its just begun.

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2017, 01:25:38 PM »
I hope everyone rides out Harvey safely.

On a different note. I was thinking about the major pest for all of us Southern states: Argentinean ants (and others like fire ant). On this kind of major flood -- in volume and duration -- I wonder are these ants  being exterminated?

Saw some articles showing massive floating armies of ants.  They are not going anywhere, they band together and gloat around during floods.
Brad Spaugh

forumfool

• Canton, GA 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2017, 02:59:14 PM »
This is a once in a lifetime chance -- they all concentrated in one big immobilized mass. I wanted to paddle out with a bucket of detergent...

Or... Do fried fire ants taste good? They look plump.

"People searching for fire ants on Google are also likely to search for how to kill them, it turns out, so here's the lowdown - squeeze some detergent on them, and the surface tension will be broken and they'll drown."

It would probably be satisfying for the residents plagued by these ants to do that. However even if you killed all the floating ants there are many colonies nearby in non flooded areas and the ants will just spread again once things dry out.

boxturtle

• usa, ca. garden grove Orange County
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2017, 10:41:44 PM »
if you or know somebody that lost their trees let us know maybe members can send you/them some replacement trees once everything settles down....what you think everybody?

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 02, 2017, 08:48:56 AM »
if you or know somebody that lost their trees let us know maybe members can send you/them some replacement trees once everything settles down....what you think everybody?

I think most trees will survive, even those subjected to wet feet for weeks.  There is a group that has already started the effort though.  The amount of support during this 1,000 yr. event has been phenomenal.  Now they're rescuing pets that were left behind.   Shelters are also taking pets.
http://www.treefolks.org/nw/

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 02, 2017, 02:37:44 PM »
Glad things appear to be improving.
Don't exhale just yet though, the wind may be over and the rain stopped but the event is still ongoing.Stagnant water, loss or drinking water supply, ...many things to deal with still so hang in there.  We are rooting for Texas, unless of course they play Florida  :)

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 03, 2017, 09:32:59 AM »
Glad things appear to be improving.
Don't exhale just yet though, the wind may be over and the rain stopped but the event is still ongoing.Stagnant water, loss or drinking water supply, ...many things to deal with still so hang in there.  We are rooting for Texas, unless of course they play Florida  :)

....and then there was Irma headed your way.  Hope not!
« Last Edit: September 04, 2017, 10:43:50 AM by Mark in Texas »

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 04, 2017, 10:42:46 AM »
Animal rescue in Houston, Tx.  Armadillo found on top of a car at Bear Creek.

Only in Texas!   ;D