Author Topic: Irma casualties.....Custard apple down, two jackfruit trees on the way down  (Read 2208 times)

mangokothiyan

• Coral Springs, Florida
    • View Profile
It is very,very windy out there, but I couldn't resist walking out to take a look at my backyard. My Fernandez custard apple, which is 2 and a half years old and about 8 feet old, is on the ground, uprooted. Two jackfruit trees (Excalibur Red and Mai 1) planted as a 3 gallon last year, look ready to go down. Anything special that I need to do to get them back on their feet?More importantly, will they survive?   

Orly

• PALM BEACH, FL 10b
    • View Profile
My nanas and papayas getting roughed up too.  Taking a leaning and not sure if or how long they'll hold up.

AnnonaMangoLord45

• LeafyMango
  • I love Mangoes
    • SoCal zone 10b
    • View Profile
I'd reccomend hoisting the bananas and papayas up with steel cable wire hooked to the ground, also, with the jackfruit, I'd reccomend digging it up from the ground, putting it in heavy soil, cutting the leaves back in half, the putting it inside for 3 months. Hope you guys are doing okay! They also will survive, especially the banana and papaya, they will literally root themselves from nothingness. jackfruit might be a gamble, and custard apple probably is a goner. I have dug up mangoes with literally only their taproot and still had them live. Don't worry, plants are a lot tougher than many think!
« Last Edit: September 10, 2017, 03:09:24 PM by AnnonaMangoLord45 »

Orly

• PALM BEACH, FL 10b
    • View Profile
Too late to do anything to my trees now. Winds outside are pretty fierce, gusts near hurricane force.  Hopefully they survive or can at least be lifted and replanted if they go done. 

We are doing pretty good still have power and internet.  Hopefully it stays that way.

Raulglezruiz

• Puerto Vallarta,Mexico. Lat 21.5 Semi Tropical
    • View Profile
It is very,very windy out there, but I couldn't resist walking out to take a look at my backyard. My Fernandez custard apple, which is 2 and a half years old and about 8 feet old, is on the ground, uprooted. Two jackfruit trees (Excalibur Red and Mai 1) planted as a 3 gallon last year, look ready to go down. Anything special that I need to do to get them back on their feet?More importantly, will they survive?   
yes they will mine was completely horrible on the ground last year MIA 1,after a windy storm, tall 20 feet was laying on the ground, my neighbor ask me if he can shop it for wood I said it was fine, he only let the main trunk, few days later a friend told me to put it back up, I never thought of that, so between the two raced back, put some stone and dirt on the broken roots and now is beautiful full of foliage and allready flowers back! 😄
El verde es vida!

Seadation

• USA, Miami, Fl, 33176 Zone 10
    • View Profile

Snapped my Coconut cream mango like a toothpick. Second time this has happened to me with CC. Going to have to plant another variety. Also toppled over my 12 ft Achachairu.

OCchris1

• Old Towne Orange, CA 10B
    • View Profile
If you're worried about the papaya and banana just whack them at shoulder level or so? You guys in Florida have a quick turnaround on growth cycles. Stay safe everyone, Chris
-Chris

sapote

• USA, CA, Burbank, 10a
    • View Profile

Snapped my Coconut cream mango like a toothpick. Second time this has happened to me with CC. Going to have to plant another variety. Also toppled over my 12 ft Achachairu.

Sorry for your lost. I wonder if its leafy branches were chopped off but only the skeleton remained, then the main trunk could survive and grow again.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk