Author Topic: Uncovering seeds to check on them - can I do that?  (Read 1905 times)

Maybeamel

• AU
    • View Profile
Uncovering seeds to check on them - can I do that?
« on: September 20, 2017, 09:20:49 AM »
Hey guys,

I'm trying to grow some annona seeds which take a month or so to germinate. Just wondering if I can uncover them to check on their progress and see if they're germinating? Is that okay to do before the root comes out?

Sorry, just new to gardening and a tad impatient! Thanks :)

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
Re: Uncovering seeds to check on them - can I do that?
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2017, 09:39:17 AM »
Hey guys,

I'm trying to grow some annona seeds which take a month or so to germinate. Just wondering if I can uncover them to check on their progress and see if they're germinating? Is that okay to do before the root comes out?

Sorry, just new to gardening and a tad impatient! Thanks :)

I rarely use the wet paper towel in the baggie drill but recently did with cherimoya seeds.  I don't like to handle them which might break the root radicle if I'm not careful.

Just potted them up, they all germinated within about 2 weeks at temps of 76F, dark cabinet.

Few tricks:

1. Using large toe nail clippers clip around the thin edge about 3x removing about an 1/8" piece.  This will allow water in.  I did this which revealed the embryo too.

2.  Soak in 3% H2O2 overnight.  Good seeds will sink (they contain an embryo, which you hope is viable),  "bad" seeds will remain floating.  They contain air.

3. Fold seeds into a barely damp paper towel stuffed into a baggie.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2017, 09:41:01 AM by Mark in Texas »

Maybeamel

• AU
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2017, 10:06:34 AM »
Hey Mark,

Yeah, I tried the baggie method. I tried just soaked in water seeds and 45 min soaked in Hydrogen Peroxide 3%. The water soaked seeds developed mould in bags after 3 days but the Hydrogen Peroxide ones seemed fine, I panicked and potted them all along with a new batch which I briefly soaked in Hydrogen Peroxide too.

Does soaking overnight get rid of this mould problem completely using the baggie method?

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2017, 10:17:20 AM »
Hey Mark,

Yeah, I tried the baggie method. I tried just soaked in water seeds and 45 min soaked in Hydrogen Peroxide 3%. The water soaked seeds developed mould in bags after 3 days but the Hydrogen Peroxide ones seemed fine, I panicked and potted them all along with a new batch which I briefly soaked in Hydrogen Peroxide too.

Does soaking overnight get rid of this mould problem completely using the baggie method?

I guess.  Never had the problem.  You could always scrub the seeds with the peroxide or let them float until they sink.

Maybeamel

• AU
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2017, 10:31:32 AM »
Cool, thanks! I noticed some of the seeds are starting to split where the tap roots come out. Does this mean they're viable or can they still do this even if they're no good?

Chandramohan

• India, Kerala, Wynad
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2017, 11:01:38 AM »
Instead of moist tissue, you can use moist vermiculite, you will not have mold problem.

stuartdaly88

• Phytomaniac
  • Zone 9b/10a
    • South Africa, Gauteng
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2017, 02:36:45 PM »
Too often I have checked on buried seeds only to find them terminated but I just broke the root checking! :P
Patience is bitter, but its fruit is sweet.
-Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2017, 10:10:28 AM »
Cool, thanks! I noticed some of the seeds are starting to split where the tap roots come out. Does this mean they're viable or can they still do this even if they're no good?

Yep, time to get them in a pot.  If you're unsure where the root radical will appear, lay them on their side.  Gravitropism will get them in the right position.  Firmly tamp soil about an inch over them.  They need it so the seedcoat sloughs off as it pushes thru the soil.

OCchris1

• Old Towne Orange, CA 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2017, 02:06:30 AM »
You could also try the age old method of placing them flat in some dirt, add a bit of water and sunshine, and grow them that way? Cherimoya are one of the easiest annonas to start from seed. IMO. The nicking of the seed coat isn't a bad idea. Ive done it. Chris
-Chris

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2017, 10:22:02 AM »
You could also try the age old method of placing them flat in some dirt, add a bit of water and sunshine, and grow them that way? Cherimoya are one of the easiest annonas to start from seed. IMO. The nicking of the seed coat isn't a bad idea. Ive done it. Chris

Tried twice with atemoya, never germed.