Author Topic: Star Apple seeds not germinating  (Read 2222 times)

AnnonaMangoLord45

• LeafyMango
  • I love Mangoes
    • SoCal zone 10b
    • View Profile
Star Apple seeds not germinating
« on: September 17, 2017, 05:31:08 PM »
Hello, I got 10 green star apple seeds in the garage right now, and they haven't germinated for 3 months. When I cracked one open, it was sort of firm/soft like a ripe cherimoya. Is that normal? What is the usual sprouting time for star apple? Thanks, Matt

koundog

• U.S FL,Vero Beach 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Star Apple seeds not germinating
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2017, 09:49:09 PM »
A few weeks is what I have seen. not impossible they won't germinate but becoming less likely

AnnonaMangoLord45

• LeafyMango
  • I love Mangoes
    • SoCal zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2017, 01:05:17 PM »
Sorry, actually it's only been 2 months, anyways, all i did was sow the seeds at the start of July in my garage, in some peat moss and pumice. Anyways, how long would achachairu take to germinate? And how long would jaboticaba aureana take to germinate

Tropicaliste

• Washington D.C. Area, US 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2017, 11:33:20 PM »
This is a hard species to sprout as the seeds have to be super fresh. I've only had success once and that was seeds from Oscar. The same species I waited an extra day or two after arriving, and no sprouts, so you need to plant immediately. The seeds that did only took about a week or two. It sounds like your seeds are not viable anymore.

Domnik

• 7A Poland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2017, 01:36:21 AM »
Hi all. The freshness of the seed you wrote is of course the basis, but there is another matter.

AnnonaMangoLord45, another issue is where you wanted to grow the seeds. It is worth doing on the windowsill at home, or in a special greenhouse. The garage is best for repairing or keeping your car and other things, rather than for sowing seeds.

Quite often people cultivate seeds in places that are not as fit as the bathroom, cellar or garage. There, for example, you will not see the thermal light pulse, which is the seeds needed for proper development.

Regards
Dominik
Patience is a gardener's virtue

AnnonaMangoLord45

• LeafyMango
  • I love Mangoes
    • SoCal zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2017, 01:46:44 AM »
I had Junglesop, rollinia, soursop, mamey, durian, cacao, tamarillo, mangos, garcinias, etc. germinate in that garage. I have some grow lights installed there, and theres some sunlight that come through the window. I set up the lights on a timer from 8pm to 6 pm. Would that give off thermal light pulse? It seems like there is a thermal light pulse there. the light I used was a 100 watt heat lamp amplified LED grow light, with all the spectrums covered. I unfortunately do not have the luxury of a greenhouse, but I am building one soon. I put them under a seedling heating mat for them to see what they will do. I am waiting for pitagatuba(2 months), jaboticaba aureana(less than 1 month), jaboticaba vextator(less than 1 month), Pindaiba, Star apple, duguetia peruviana, and Isan Indigo sugar apple seeds. I'm just confused as I've had things germinate all the time in there, although I do remember it took my Madruno forever to germinate, then suddenly came out of the ground.

Thanks

Domnik

• 7A Poland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2017, 02:49:34 AM »
Some people set pots with seeds in dark and cool rooms thinking it was enough. I was afraid that such conditions you have in the garage. If you have some underfloor heating (if you need it in your area) and 100W LED backlighting is fine, these conditions are sufficient for germination. This is where other seeds with similar requirements came in. This means that the conditions are good. Probably as the predecessors wrote, the carambola seeds were old and therefore did not rise.
Patience is a gardener's virtue

AnnonaMangoLord45

• LeafyMango
  • I love Mangoes
    • SoCal zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2017, 09:52:18 AM »
They were crysophyllum cainito seeds, and they were as fresh as could be. I'm just bamboozled. I will see if they do anything with the heating Mat I installed a week ago. I think it was too cool

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk