Author Topic: 2017 King Of Mango  (Read 8608 times)

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
Re: 2017 King Of Mango
« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2017, 01:56:10 PM »
Thanks for the info Squam. According to Rob all Florida mangos this season were a wash. He was tossing boxes of mangos because they were inedible

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2017, 04:52:31 PM »
Thanks for the info Squam. According to Rob all Florida mangos this season were a wash. He was tossing boxes of mangos because they were inedible

Well definitely not for us in West Palm Beach. Mangos from the Western communities in Palm Beach county were often lacking, but those I had from here were terrific outside of a one week or so period at the very beginning of June when we had received excessive rainfall. We got terrific feedback and brix test results were strong as well, so it wasn't just my tastebuds fooling me.

I did get less rain than other areas of south Florida.

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2017, 06:22:06 PM »

Few disappointments this year though:
Kathy (from Zills, washed out, tried and different times of ripeness, I'll try again next season)
Fruit Punch (I like it but not as much as i though i would)

Kathy was a big disappointment this year.

Fruit Punch is decent but always been overhyped imo. Not in the same league as some of the Better "new" ones.

The first year I had fruit punch, it actually tasted like it and was better than the hype. Every year since, no fruit punch flavour...

TheWaterbug

• Palos Verdes, CA, Sunset 23/USDA 11a, Elev. 783'
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 10, 2017, 07:26:59 PM »
One of the Sweet starts that AZ sent home with me after the Mango tasting was one of the best mangos I’ve ever had but I still give the edge to Lemon Zest. I think it’s just personal preference and I’m really partial to the citrusy taste of Lemon Zest.

Lemon Zest and Sweet Tart are two of the top favorite mangos in my book but I really like to mix things up to cleanse the palate because these two heavyweights have a knock out punch of sweetness and intense flavor that can overwhelm taste buds. Kesar would be a great palate cleanser in between these two heavyweights and it would hold its own in a top ten list, especially if there are Indian resin flavored Mango lovers on the tasting panel.

The three varieties listed above would make up the Trinity and you can get the four horseman of the apocalypse if you throw in a Coconut flavored Mango such as E4 or Coconut Cream.
I read stuff like this, and I get depressed. Where can a mere mortal go to taste such mangos in Los Angeles?

How can one acquire budwood?

I feel like I've been left out of the club!
Sunset 23/USDA 11a, Elev. 783', Frost free since 8,000 BC. Plagued by squirrels, gophers, and peafowl, but coming to terms with it!

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #29 on: October 10, 2017, 07:57:20 PM »
Plenty of people on this forum sell Budwood. Lots would even be open to trade. No harm in asking.
I know I'll be looking for the Fairchild hybrids next year, if there disease resistant as advertised they'll have a place on my canal bank.

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 10, 2017, 09:37:39 PM »
Usually you have to be very active on the forum and contribute to the community. If you’re interested in Mangos, you probably have several varieties growing already and can offer someone else a trade. Squam and Dongeorgio sell scions of most available varieties.

Simon

Samu

• North Tustin, So. California, Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 11, 2017, 12:10:59 AM »

I read stuff like this, and I get depressed. Where can a mere mortal go to taste such mangos in Los Angeles?

How can one acquire budwood?

I feel like I've been left out of the club!

I am like you, never tasted all these delicious mango varieties described above..., but my time will come as my trees mature...2 brand new varieties -for me- I tasted this year, and many more in a year or two as my trees/scions mature, including LZ and Sweet Tart!
Sam

igrowmangos

• USA, East Central Florida, Plant Zone 9B
    • View Profile
    • Mango Tree Growers Of America (Facebook Page Admin)
« Reply #32 on: October 11, 2017, 09:24:08 AM »
Any one reporting on the M-4 this year? Is this being supplied to Pine Island or anywhere online yet?
“When life gives you lemons, throw it back & say, “I said I wanted a MANGO!”

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #33 on: October 11, 2017, 09:36:28 AM »
Any one reporting on the M-4 this year? Is this being supplied to Pine Island or anywhere online yet?

I think this was only available on a limited basis to the public this year.
It will probably be a few years until we know how it is. Same with Phoenix, Cotton Candy etc.

WGphil

• Winter Garden Florida 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 11, 2017, 01:21:46 PM »
There aren't any m-4s ready for sale yet

They had some at Excalibur but went fast

Waiting on private grafters and time to get up to size

We will find out at same time as I am waiting also

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #35 on: October 11, 2017, 04:55:54 PM »

The original tree had an obscene amount of fruit on it this year. But it's been an alternate bearer.

wslau

• La Palma, CA, USA, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 11, 2017, 08:00:07 PM »

The original tree had an obscene amount of fruit on it this year. But it's been an alternate bearer.

At least 4 of us in California received small 3 gallon M-4 trees.  M-4 has been an extremely slow grower in CA for us, compared to the other newer Zill's varieties Delores, Phoenix, Seacrest, and Ambrosia.
Warren

gozp

• West Hills, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 11, 2017, 08:15:32 PM »

At least 4 of us in California received small 3 gallon M-4 trees.  M-4 has been an extremely slow grower in CA for us, compared to the other newer Zill's varieties Delores, Phoenix, Seacrest, and Ambrosia.

Hey warren, How many flushes have u had on your m4 since u received it?

So far i got 2, 3rd flush is pending.

wslau

• La Palma, CA, USA, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 11, 2017, 09:07:08 PM »

Hey warren, How many flushes have u had on your m4 since u received it?

So far i got 2, 3rd flush is pending.
1 leaf growth, 1 flower growth which I removed.
Warren

gozp

• West Hills, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 11, 2017, 09:37:43 PM »
« Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 09:41:06 PM by gozp »