Temperate Fruit & Orchards > Temperate Fruit Discussion

Anyone growing olives?

(1/3) > >>

A.T. Hagan:
I'm in the n/c Florida area and after reading several articles about a nascent olive industry slowly coming into being in my state it has piqued my interest.

I have recently acquired the four varieties showing the most promise (thus far) for the northern half of the state.  They're all fairly small so I'm going to grow them out in containers for a while until they're larger then will plant them out.

I'm also looking to pick up some Mission, Sevillano, and Ascalano trees for table olives.

Anyone else growing olives?  What varieties did you choose?  How are they growing for you?

Isaac-1:
I too am in a similar situation and climate to you on the 8b/9a line in Louisiana and have been giving thoughts to olives, and can't wait to see if someone posts some useful comments.

LaCasaVerde:
Growing mission and arbequina here. Outside unprotected. No issues disease wise, though recommend planting on a mound or higher area as ive lost both mission and arbequina  to damp soil conditions. Definitley do not do well in low wet areas.  My largest arbequina is now  6x6 but yet to produce. 3 years old now..

A.T. Hagan:
Yes, everything I've read indicates olives really don't like wet feet! 

Fortunately I'm on the sand ridge so that won't be a problem.

Anyone else trying their hand?

manfromyard:
There is a very popular olive oil company in southern GA. One of their websites is below:

http://georgiaolivefarms.com/gof/products-services/

I think they grow mostly Arbequina.

I also saw some fruiting at the Savannah Bamboo Gardens...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version