Author Topic: Robbie's final mango twee  (Read 16104 times)

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Robbie's final mango twee
« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2012, 08:19:45 PM »
Murahilin is right about the sooty mold--- I have never heard of a mango that is resistant to insects that cause sooty mold, such as the new plague around here, spiraling whitefly.
Har

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2012, 09:39:11 PM »
Yah, I can't quite figure out why either. She wanted to plant one in the yard, but I vetoed that one. She ended up planting in in the neighbor's yard.

The other day a vietnamese cowboy came and bought up most of our Lancetillas; seemed like he was quite fond of them. It must be a fruit that appeals to foreigners.

Elsie likes Lancetilla?  :o ???
Jeff  :-)

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2012, 09:43:35 PM »
Nope, but it does seem like some trees are more preferred by scale than others -- perhaps due to lack of vigor? That evil sri lankan weevil sure seems to prefer some mangoes over others. It's quite fond of the lemon zest (I don't blame it :-) and croco cream, but completely ignores the glenn and the carrie in my yard.

Murahilin is right about the sooty mold--- I have never heard of a mango that is resistant to insects that cause sooty mold, such as the new plague around here, spiraling whitefly.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2012, 10:21:14 PM »
Nope, but it does seem like some trees are more preferred by scale than others -- perhaps due to lack of vigor? That evil sri lankan weevil sure seems to prefer some mangoes over others. It's quite fond of the lemon zest (I don't blame it :-) and croco cream, but completely ignores the glenn and the carrie in my yard.

In my yard the pesky weevil nibbles here and there on the mahachanok and very lightly on the Coco Cream almost not noticeable) but absolutely shreds my lorito mamey and has all but destroyed one of my hak ip lychees.  If I don't treat it with you know what I will most likely lose it.  There are almost NO leaves and every new growth flush gets chomped and most die off.  If it keeps up on the mamey, I may have to take action there also...by the same token they don't touch my excalibur mango, mallika, LZ, NDM, frances hargrave, angie and a struggling sweet heart lychee.
- Rob

mangomandan

• When a man is tired of mangos, he is tired of life
    • USA, Lake Worth, Florida, 33461, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 04, 2012, 09:39:31 AM »
So far the weevils have ignored my Maha, maybe because all the leaves are over a year old?

Sometimes they are munching on so many plants that I'm surprised they haven't eaten the whole world.  Other times they don't seem as bad.   I'm still hoping a predator will find them some day.

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 04, 2012, 10:31:14 AM »

In my yard the pesky weevil nibbles here and there on the mahachanok and very lightly on the Coco Cream almost not noticeable) but absolutely shreds my lorito mamey and has all but destroyed one of my hak ip lychees.  If I don't treat it with you know what I will most likely lose it.  There are almost NO leaves and every new growth flush gets chomped and most die off.  If it keeps up on the mamey, I may have to take action there also...by the same token they don't touch my excalibur mango, mallika, LZ, NDM, frances hargrave, angie and a struggling sweet heart lychee.

The weevils go after my Kent mango but not too much on the others. Sometimes I go out at night with a flashlight and kill some. Hold a pan underneath because they like to drop off to evade you. Squish them when they hit the pan. Leaf notchers, weevils Sri Lankan and otherwise, are more visible at night with a flashlight shining on them. On gardenweb I saw some people talking about spraying the tree with rubbing alcohol+ dish washing soap. The alcohol gets into under the weevil's hard shell and dries them out. Probably best done at night when you can see them better

"I've found that a mix of straight alcohol with some Dawn will kill lots of critters, and very few plants are harmed by that strong a mix.... it doesn't bother roses at all...try some on a corner or a single branch.... seems the alcohol dries out the bug and the Dawn holds it on the bug so it works longer....I just mix it up in an old Clorox Clean-up or Windex spray-bottle .... el cheapo... sally"
http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/flgard/msg1213251821765.html?7

zzzz

natsgarden123

« Reply #31 on: September 04, 2012, 10:33:43 AM »

How finicky the weevils are!! ( and we may be confusing the notcher and sri lankan- 2 distinct species that look similar: The notcher supposedly being native )  In my yard, they love Lychee and Lychee only. They  ignore all mangoes , and take an occasional bite out of the others.  From previous posts and ifas, the damage inflicted by these weevils is cosmetic only. ( That's not the case for Diaprepes root weevil, which is really damaging)

On my property, there are natural (? native) trees- some sort of fig species I think , which harbor the weevils- they devour those trees for ? reason. 

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 04, 2012, 12:14:25 PM »

How finicky the weevils are!! ( and we may be confusing the notcher and sri lankan- 2 distinct species that look similar: The notcher supposedly being native )  In my yard, they love Lychee and Lychee only. They  ignore all mangoes , and take an occasional bite out of the others.  From previous posts and ifas, the damage inflicted by these weevils is cosmetic only. ( That's not the case for Diaprepes root weevil, which is really damaging)

On my property, there are natural (? native) trees- some sort of fig species I think , which harbor the weevils- they devour those trees for ? reason.
The Sri Lanken and Diaprepes root weevil look nothing alike (the Sri Lankan and Little Leaf Notcher do look similar however from the images below and what I have seen/captured/ID'd, they are distinguishable.

Diaprepes root weevil  http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/in147

Little Leaf Notcher  http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/cg006

Sri Lankan root weevil  http://lee.ifas.ufl.edu/Hort/UsefulLawnandGardenResources/SriLankaWeevilupdate2008.pdf

What is chowing on my plants (and I suspect most others...as this is an invasive brought in from outside the State/Country there is no natural predator for this weevil whereas the Diaprepes is native to the Caribbean but has been in the State for 50 years so it could now be considered almost native, and my suspicion is that they are less prevalent as most natives DO have some sort of predator) is the Sri Lankan.  From the IFAS report, its main target seems to be citrus as well as ornamental trees and root crops.  IFAS also has the Little Leaf Notcher as a weevil that attacks citrus.  Neither mention anything about the more native weevils attack on mangoes, mamey or lychees.

- Rob

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 04, 2012, 01:47:08 PM »
Though the Evil Sri Lankan Weevil will eat mamey leaves, the insect that shreds the leaves (leaving only leaf skeletons) is actually the cuban may beetle. Fortunately, you can drastically cut down on cuban may beetle damage by simply getting rid of the grass that their grubs feed on. But the Evil Sri Landan Weevil cannot be controlled in this manner :-(.

« Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 01:48:52 PM by Cookie Monster »

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 04, 2012, 01:57:35 PM »
Here's a shot from May of this year of the cuban may beetle devouring my neighbor's tamarind tree. If you look at the full size picture, you can see that there are hundreds of them, and they look almost like a swam of bees, completely covering the branch. They will completely defoliate small to medium sized mamey trees. After wreaking havoc for a few weeks in May, the cuban may beetle returns in September for a few more weeks of carnage. Removing the grass nearly eliminates them from the property.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 04, 2012, 01:58:49 PM »
Though the Evil Sri Lankan Weevil will eat mamey leaves, the insect that shreds the leaves (leaving only leaf skeletons) is actually the cuban may beetle. Fortunately, you can drastically cut down on cuban may beetle damage by simply getting rid of the grass that their grubs feed on. But the Evil Sri Landan Weevil cannot be controlled in this manner :-(.

Unfortunately, for me at least, the critter that is chowing my mamey leaves IS the Sri Lankan weevil as I have observed and squished many.

While the damage COULD be confused, the critter itself can not.

Cuban May Beetle  http://trec.ifas.ufl.edu/mannion/pdfs/May-JuneBeetle.pdf

- Rob

TnTrobbie

• runs with pruners
  • ZonePusher has a spot for that.
    • 10b + 9b FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 04, 2012, 03:18:47 PM »
Point noted about sooty mold. I never had a problem with scale until I brought home the Okrung tree (it had scale). Scale skipped my Julie and had a liking for my NDM that eventually developed sooty mold on the lower canopy. But two winter Volck oil applications took care of that. Since then, I throughly inspect any new tress for insects/pests before bring em to the back yard. My Neelam has mild sooty mold on the stems, but I'm hoping to see if it clear up since my conditions are drier with 7 hrs of full sun exposure. Sri Lankan weevil love my Julie leaves- especially the young, newly emerging/ formed ones. I don't think they've discovered my other trees yet. I forgo the tweezers and crush em two at a time with my finger tips (they are usualy mating in the mornings  ;D ).
The Earth laughs in flowers. And bear gifts through fruits.
No where to plant it ...but at least I got it. ;)
F*ck squirrels and deers

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 04, 2012, 03:57:07 PM »
Sri Lankan weevil does indeed eat mamey leaves; you'll no doubt see them on your mamey. However, the cuban may beetle will the one that does the most damage. Unlike the sri lankan weevil, which is present year-round, the may beetle is only seen for maybe 6 weeks per year (2-3 weeks in may, 2-3 weeks in aug/sept), so you won't necessarily see them all the time. The may beetle seems to favor mamey sapote leaves over just about anything else. If you don't have them, you're quite lucky, as it's probably the most significant mamey pest in this area.

Here's a quick comparison of the two:

Evil Weevil -- minor damage

vs May Beetle -- complete destruction

Unfortunately, for me at least, the critter that is chowing my mamey leaves IS the Sri Lankan weevil as I have observed and squished many.

While the damage COULD be confused, the critter itself can not.

Cuban May Beetle  http://trec.ifas.ufl.edu/mannion/pdfs/May-JuneBeetle.pdf

« Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 04:08:52 PM by Cookie Monster »

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 04, 2012, 04:18:44 PM »
Jeff - I guess I am lucky as mine looks more like the "evil weevil" damage, maybe a bit worse here and there but for all intents and purposes that is it...no total destruction on my mamey...however, my Hak Ip does have more of a total destruction look to it :( ...
- Rob

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 04, 2012, 04:23:06 PM »
OK. I'm jealous :-). We have a major infestation of those cuban may beetles. They are also quite fond of caimito, canistel, and persimmon.

Jeff - I guess I am lucky as mine looks more like the "evil weevil" damage, maybe a bit worse here and there but for all intents and purposes that is it...no total destruction on my mamey...however, my Hak Ip does have more of a total destruction look to it :( ...

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 04, 2012, 05:44:42 PM »
OK. I'm jealous :-). We have a major infestation of those cuban may beetles. They are also quite fond of caimito, canistel, and persimmon.

you wouldn't be if you saw my lychee.
- Rob

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 04, 2012, 10:03:22 PM »
The previous couple of years the Cuban May Beetles ate up my true persimmon, just swarming at late dusk.   This year I didn't see any damage.
Har

natsgarden123

« Reply #42 on: September 06, 2012, 11:49:27 AM »

You haven't given in and sprayed the tree?    I sprayed with seven ( which worked) and I'll probably treat with Imidacloprid. 

Nat

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 06, 2012, 01:33:15 PM »
I tried that many years ago, but it had little to no impact. The best way to control the cuban may beetle (using an insecticide-based approach) is to kill the grubs and/or eggs that reside in the soil. Results will not be immediate, but you should see drastic reduction in population several months out.

I'm very wary of using insecticides, because I don't like to kill the arthropods and earthworms, which are in abundance in my backyard due to copious comopost/mulch. Fortunately in my case, removing the grass (which deprives the grubs of food) did the trick. I get a straggler here and there, but damage is extremely minor.

You haven't given in and sprayed the tree?    I sprayed with seven ( which worked) and I'll probably treat with Imidacloprid. 

Nat

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 06, 2012, 01:37:47 PM »
They are also very fond of canistel. If I remember correctly, your american persimmon is very close to your little patch of grass. Despite their ability to fly, the cuban may beetle (in my yard at least) doesn't seem to travel more than about 15 feet.

The previous couple of years the Cuban May Beetles ate up my true persimmon, just swarming at late dusk.   This year I didn't see any damage.

Patrick

• Administrator
    • USA, Palm Beach, FL 33467, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 06, 2012, 02:07:44 PM »

Nat

I used Imidacloprid on my smaller lychee trees with great success.  I purchase it on Ebay in a 75% concentration that will make about 500 gallons of the again dilutable Bayer equivalent for about $35 shipped.

Look at Bayers concentration http://www.bayeradvanced.com/system/product_variants/label_pdfs/000/000/018/original_Fruit-Citrus-Vegetable-Insect-Control.pdf

and now the eBay 75% form..   http://www.ebay.com/itm/Imidacloprid-75WSB-Insecticide-1-6-4-Oz-Pack-Criterion-75WSP-Merit-75WSP-/390427212039?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5ae7467907

One half teaspoon of the concentrate makes about twenty gallons of useable drench...

While I would not recommend it on fruiting trees, it has all but eliminated the destruction on my smaller trees that are currently on my Olympic Steroid Treatment.  There was some concern that it may hurt honey bees, whether its true or not I dont allow the "contaminated" flowers to feed the bees!

This can still be considered Organic Gardening if you apply like I do...  (I have my wife do the drenches while I am at work!  ;))

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 06, 2012, 10:20:44 PM »

Nat

I used Imidacloprid on my smaller lychee trees with great success.  I purchase it on Ebay in a 75% concentration that will make about 500 gallons of the again dilutable Bayer equivalent for about $35 shipped.

Look at Bayers concentration http://www.bayeradvanced.com/system/product_variants/label_pdfs/000/000/018/original_Fruit-Citrus-Vegetable-Insect-Control.pdf

and now the eBay 75% form..   http://www.ebay.com/itm/Imidacloprid-75WSB-Insecticide-1-6-4-Oz-Pack-Criterion-75WSP-Merit-75WSP-/390427212039?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5ae7467907

One half teaspoon of the concentrate makes about twenty gallons of useable drench...

While I would not recommend it on fruiting trees, it has all but eliminated the destruction on my smaller trees that are currently on my Olympic Steroid Treatment.  There was some concern that it may hurt honey bees, whether its true or not I dont allow the "contaminated" flowers to feed the bees!

This can still be considered Organic Gardening if you apply like I do... (I have my wife do the drenches while I am at work!  ;))
ahhh...no :(

after you drenched, while it would/should kill the grubs, did the weevils still try and eat the leaves?  The existing weevils would not be killed by drench alone, they would have to eat/ingest the systemic "filled" leaves...
- Rob

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 06, 2012, 10:23:56 PM »

Nat
While Sevin MIGHT kill the weevils if the concentration is high enough and you sprayed the actual weevils...however Sevin is not truly an effective pesticide for the Sri Lankan Weevils as it is not a systemic (the grubs would still eat the roots and then hatch into new weevils and the leaves they eat would not be "holding" the pesticide), I fear you may have just gotten lucky with your spraying.
- Rob

Patrick

• Administrator
    • USA, Palm Beach, FL 33467, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 07, 2012, 06:19:21 AM »

Nat

This can still be considered Organic Gardening if you apply like I do... (I have my wife do the drenches while I am at work!  ;))
ahhh...no :(

after you drenched, while it would/should kill the grubs, did the weevils still try and eat the leaves?  The existing weevils would not be killed by drench alone, they would have to eat/ingest the systemic "filled" leaves...

It takes a couple weeks before the drench shows any sign of improvement.  I assume that any part of the drenched tree (roots, stems, leaves) eventually becomes a "killer" meal for an insect or its larvae.  Its actually like night and day once it takes effect, you can almost see the time line on the branch end once the stuff enters the leaves.  Once the trees get large enough to produce fruit I plan to discontinue use at least a year in advance.  Trees large enough can afford to lose some leaves I guess.  In the mean time Its a pretty good thing to have in the garden.  I almost want to find a few non-edibles that they enjoy and load them up with ISD so that they will target and be killed at that source of food and thus thin out their population yard wide.

natsgarden123

« Reply #49 on: September 07, 2012, 12:09:18 PM »
I almost want to let the weevils feast on my Hak Ip and let it be the target- my other trees are almost completely untouched-

With that said- I am going to use the Imidacloprid mainly because the tree is on the front lawn and its a cosmetic thing. The Seven did work partially-there was a lot less damage on the last flush- but they are still there.

I also think my weevils are leaf notchers, which supposedly , are less harmful. 

And the weevils have disappeared in the past,  when it became cold, which will be soon enough.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk