Author Topic: "100% Pure" Orange Juice Is Not Pure Test Shows.  (Read 2567 times)

brettay

• View Profile
    • My Little Piece of Marin
Re: "100% Pure" Orange Juice Is Not Pure Test Shows.
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2017, 11:21:20 PM »
Not surprising at all.  It seems this glyphosate is in everything these days (e.g. Ben & Jerry's ice cream).  I wonder what level of neonicotinoids are in orange juice?

-Brett

Isaac-1

• western Louisiana zone 8b/9a line
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2017, 12:12:35 AM »
Can anyone here imagine only eating 3 pounds of fresh oranges per year?

Susanne42

• Michigan Zone 5/6
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2017, 07:44:18 AM »
This is really sad.
Three pounds is not a lot indeed. I think I ate at least 20 pounds so far and year is not over yet.

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2017, 05:40:46 PM »
They found 4 to 26 parts per billion in orange juices. But not to worry, mice forced to consume 500 milligrams /kilogram body weight of glyphosate daily were protected from many of the harmful effects of the herbicide by being forced to drink orange juice.
 http://www.jocpr.com/articles/the-protective-effect-of-orange-juice-on-glyphosate-toxicity-in-adult-male-mice.pdf

I loved this part, "all subjects gave their informed consent prior to entering this study.", how the hell did they convince the mice to do that?

Susanne42

• Michigan Zone 5/6
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2017, 07:47:41 PM »
Using mice as a test object is not really great. I doubt the results have any value as they just don't live as long anyways and their metabolism is so very different.

BajaJohn

• Mexico, Baja California Sur, Loreto, Hot Desert
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2017, 07:35:01 PM »
I guess that is a part of the motivation for growing our own.
I'm not a fan of glyphosate, or Monsanto but there seems an element of alternative truth in the article.
If glyphosate is the only impurity, worst case scenario is that the OJ is 99.9999974%  pure.
Europe has the more conservative Allowable Daily Intake of glyphosate at 0.3 mg per day. The EPA permits more than 5 times that dose. Three pounds of oranges would have about 40 micrograms of glyphospate at the higher contamination levels. That is less than one tenth of the ADI. A large glass (2 cups) of OJ would have about a third of that - 12 mg max. It is hard to figure why the article baulks at those kinds of doses per year.
I think there is a real cause to be concerned about glyphospate based more on its pervasiveness, growing use in many crops and potential contamination of water supplies. Loads of food crops are treated with glyphosate and there is a growing trend to use it in crops such as wheat simply to make harvesting easier. Individual foods may be within acceptable contamination levels but contamination of multiple food sources may take daily intake above acceptable level. There is also concern that current acceptable daily intake levels are way too high, based on research since those levels were set.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2017, 09:09:04 PM »
Glyphosate  in orange juice, probably not true.  MAM's claims look shaky

http://citrusindustry.net/2017/10/25/addressing-claims-herbicide-orange-juice/