Author Topic: How to open a mango seed. . . .  (Read 4390 times)

TheWaterbug

• Palos Verdes, CA, Sunset 23/USDA 11a, Elev. 783'
    • View Profile
How to open a mango seed. . . .
« on: October 20, 2017, 07:58:44 PM »
I've watched some videos and read some sites recommending that people use scissors, or a knife, or even a screwdriver. <shudder>

I use a spoon. Easy and safe:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cP9CPO5o5ww
Sunset 23/USDA 11a, Elev. 783', Frost free since 8,000 BC. Plagued by squirrels, gophers, and peafowl, but coming to terms with it!

Seanny

• Garden Grove, Orange County, California, 10B
    • View Profile
Re: How to open a mango seed. . . .
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2017, 08:31:18 PM »
That looks easy.

I used a pruner to remove the edges.

FrankDrebinOfFruits

• Kauai, HI 12A
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2017, 08:34:15 PM »
I usually clean the flesh off the seed with a butter knife and let them dry on the counter for a day or two (or a week). One quick snip on the corner with a pair of shears, and they just crack open with your bare hands.

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2017, 10:29:49 PM »
After the clippers, an oyster knife sometimes is handy.
Har

jbaqai

• JoJi
    • Northern California, Bay Area, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2017, 11:32:22 PM »
I usually clean the flesh off the seed with a butter knife and let them dry on the counter for a day or two (or a week). One quick snip on the corner with a pair of shears, and they just crack open with your bare hands.

That’s the key for me
Much easier after drying it
Then most of the time I open it with bear hands , I prefer this way to protect any roots developments inside the seed

OCchris1

• Old Towne Orange, CA 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2017, 01:31:32 AM »
I subscribe to Jbaqai's method most of the time. Chris
-Chris

TheWaterbug

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2017, 04:46:00 PM »
Then most of the time I open it with bear hands , I prefer this way to protect any roots developments inside the seed

Sorry, but I couldn't resist the visuals.

Sunset 23/USDA 11a, Elev. 783', Frost free since 8,000 BC. Plagued by squirrels, gophers, and peafowl, but coming to terms with it!

TheWaterbug

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2017, 04:48:20 PM »

Do the seeds need/want/like to be dried before planting? Or are they better if they're "fresher?" I know some seeds need a period of cold, or dry, or passing through an animal's gut to induce germination, but I don't know about mango seeds. Since I often find mango seeds already germinated inside their husks I assumed that humidity was a good thing.

Seanny

• Garden Grove, Orange County, California, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2017, 05:01:34 PM »
1. Eat mango.
2. Remove husk.
3. Put seed in pot, with 1/4 of seed above soil.

Maybe 5 minutes? No need to dry.

The exposed part starts photosynthesis, turning green in a few days.

jbaqai

• JoJi
    • Northern California, Bay Area, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2017, 09:42:18 PM »

Sorry, but I couldn't resist the visuals.

Lol

arc310

• arcadia/glendora, ca 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2017, 01:08:11 AM »
dang. newbie here. i thought the husk was a seed and just tossed it into a pot. didn't know the seed was inside! just ate a mango so i just snip off a tiny bit of the husk and just snipped the edges till i could pry it open. maybe this will make it grow faster now without the husk!

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2017, 09:44:44 PM »
I've watched some videos and read some sites recommending that people use scissors, or a knife, or even a screwdriver. <shudder>

I use a spoon. Easy and safe:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cP9CPO5o5ww
Seeds vary in their easiness of opening.   Walter Zill showed me a selection he called EZ, named because a fresh seed easily opened by hand.  I doubt thie spoon method will work for smaller seeds and certain tough to open varieties.  Drying works best for me.  Even dried some small ones take work.  I have had more than a few ripped fingernails.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2017, 09:58:44 PM »

Do the seeds need/want/like to be dried before planting? Or are they better if they're "fresher?" I know some seeds need a period of cold, or dry, or passing through an animal's gut to induce germination, but I don't know about mango seeds. Since I often find mango seeds already germinated inside their husks I assumed that humidity was a good thing.
You don't want the seed to dry out. So don't open the husk until you are ready to plant. Otherwise you can store the seed in a moist medium until planting.
The purpose of the husk in nature is to protect the seed and keep it moist inside until conditions are good for germination.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2017, 10:14:51 PM by fruitlovers »
Oscar

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2017, 10:05:08 PM »
dang. newbie here. i thought the husk was a seed and just tossed it into a pot. didn't know the seed was inside! just ate a mango so i just snip off a tiny bit of the husk and just snipped the edges till i could pry it open. maybe this will make it grow faster now without the husk!
Yes opening the husk to expose the seed speeds up germination. I let the seed dry for a few days and then use sharp pair of pruning shears to cut around the pointed edge.
I remember Chapman field, USDA experimental station, in Homestead also used a special prying tool to ease opening. It was kind of like a needle nose pliers in reverse. Instead of tightening the ends would pry open when squeezed. They opened a lot of seeds so this tool really came in handy. When planting a lot of mango seeds for rootstock opening the husks also makes them all germinate more uniformly, rather than spread out germination.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2017, 10:11:50 PM by fruitlovers »
Oscar

JoeP450

• Mahaha Chinook
    • Palm City FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2017, 11:52:19 PM »
I have had too many close calls to realize that fresh slippery seeds do not jive with sharp objects... and the biggest risk to injury was my own patience. After eating the mango take steel wool or a brillo pad (which ever is closest to kitchen sink at the time) and scrub the slippery flesh residue off the husk. This gives a nice clean seed husk, then place on a small plate on countertop and let sit for 3-4 days. The husk dries out (the embryo inside is fine) and gets somewhat crispy, at that point trip the thinnest edges of seed husk with kitchen shears and easily open with fingers. To germinate wrap embryo in paper towel, wet with water and place in semi-sealed ziplock bag for 2-3 weeks, should see a distinct root by then and can transplant to a small pot.

-JoeP450

TheWaterbug

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2017, 12:46:18 PM »
I remember Chapman field, USDA experimental station, in Homestead also used a special prying tool to ease opening. It was kind of like a needle nose pliers in reverse. Instead of tightening the ends would pry open when squeezed. They opened a lot of seeds so this tool really came in handy. When planting a lot of mango seeds for rootstock opening the husks also makes them all germinate more uniformly, rather than spread out germination.

Opening pliers. Yes, these would work very well, especially if you had to do this a lot.

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2017, 05:20:44 PM »
There are certain varieties of mango seeds that are extremely difficult to open, I believe Fairchild was one of the most difficult to open for me. There is no partial opening like their is in many other varieties. I ended up using power tools and it was very dangerous!

Simon

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2017, 11:47:01 PM »

Opening pliers. Yes, these would work very well, especially if you had to do this a lot.
The ones i saw looked somewhat like the ring opening pliers.
Oscar