Tropical Fruit > Tropical Fruit Discussion

Overmulching?

(1/4) > >>

ExpertPruning.com:
I am in San Diego, and I have planted peach, cherimoya, mamey sapote, canistel, mango, avocado, guava, citrus.

I have been looking for a big mulch drop for months. I walk outside today and see that all of the trees on my street are being uprooted and replaced.

They have the wood chipper on site, and are feeding whole trees into it, leaving behind those beautiful mulch nuggets.

I asked and was able to secure a large load of mulch and spent the day applying it to my trees. I now have at least 3 inches covering every speck of dirt in my yard.

Is it too much? The guy says theyre going to have another truckload ready tomorrow if i want it. I would add it, but is there any risk of 'overmulching' my trees?

Lory:
Apart from citrus (ask Millet in citrus forum i've no sure information) i think all other species you mentioned will love your mulching project :-)

Frog Valley Farm:
🗯

zands:
I have over mulched in soggy Florida. Really over doing will cut off O2 here. I have not done this so far but I do see thinner/minor tree roots growing upward into the mulch layer after many years.

In your dry climate it will be very difficult to deprive tree roots and soil of O2 via too much mulch. So get as much tree chips as you can. ALSO away from your trees, You can also pile it up and let it rot for a while like a compost pile.

pineislander:
If the soil is very dry and you apply heavy mulch light rains will not penetrate deep enough to get to the soil and you may have to irrigate. Eventually rain will get down through and the soil will stay moist much longer than without mulch. 3" isn't so much. In a dry climate that is about right. Tree trimming mulches get better as they age so just store what they propose to give you.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version