Author Topic: Please help ID this avocado  (Read 1670 times)

CA Hockey

• Orange, CA 10a
    • View Profile
Please help ID this avocado
« on: January 08, 2018, 12:37:55 AM »
At a recent crfg meeting, I received budwood from an avocado seedling tree that reportedly makes excellent large avocados in Riverside. I have quite a few (albeit junior) trees and wasn't looking to experiment but figured what the heck. As a bonus, the person who brought the wood also gave me an avocado from said tree. Attached is a picture. I'll update the post when it ripens and I try it but does anyone have an idea of what variety it is or may have come from? The donor told me it came from a seedling tree on an avocado farm. He didn't know too much else about it but there are fuerte trees on that farm (this is obviously not a fuerte avocado).

Any help is appreciated!

K

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
Re: Please help ID this avocado
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2018, 11:23:44 AM »
Looks pretty similar to bacon and fuerte.  Awfully shinny though.  May need more time on the tree.
Brad Spaugh

CA Hockey

• Orange, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2018, 11:36:38 AM »
Seemed to me it was much heftier, longer, and wider in the belly than fuerte and overall bigger than bacon. Maybe the pictures for size comparison aren't that great but I tried to show that it is nearly as long as a banana and more than twice as big as a store-bought haas avocado (the little black one on the side). Seemed much bigger than a large haas or lamb. About as wide around as a large reed but taller than a Pinkerton.

K

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2018, 11:46:58 AM »
I can see it is a large fruit.  Bacons do get that large.  I pulled several bacons and fuertes that size off my trees last month.

The shape and skin look like a large bacon.  If you have photos of the tree it could help also.  Bacon trees make really big clusters of flowers.  And very aggressive avocado weed tree.

I would guess bacon genetics but of course it could be anything if its a seedling. 
« Last Edit: January 08, 2018, 12:18:05 PM by spaugh »
Brad Spaugh

EJO8

• Orange County, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2018, 01:39:21 PM »
If it is a seedling then it is its own variety so it would not be possible to ID

CA Hockey

• Orange, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2018, 04:13:51 PM »
I realize the seedling could be anything but trying to figure out rough heritage. 😀 Didn't know bacon could get large.

K

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2018, 05:02:26 PM »
It looks almost exactly like the bacons I picked.  Yes they do get very large.  Most you see at the farmers market are quite small.  Minte were about 1.5  - 2lbs.  And well, they were Bacon avocados.  Not great but not bad.

I regret not taking photos of the ones that came off my tree.  They are all gone now but the tree is blooming and there should be more for next year. 
Brad Spaugh

CA Hockey

• Orange, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2018, 04:04:52 AM »
Well. we tried it today. It's definitely Bacon or bacon-ish (if truly a seedling). Sadly not one of varieties that we (large family of 9) enjoy, so that's a resounding no on whether or not to graft it.

Looking forward to the crfg scion exchanges coming up this weekend. San Diego and OC.

-K

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk