Author Topic: Whah happened to this mango seedling?  (Read 1487 times)

AnnonaMangoLord45

• LeafyMango
  • I love Mangoes
    • SoCal zone 10b
    • View Profile
Whah happened to this mango seedling?
« on: February 05, 2018, 09:45:14 PM »
Hello, half my mango seedling’s leaves look burned, crispy and all, why is it happening? Is it because of the Santa Ana winds?

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Whah happened to this mango seedling?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2018, 06:55:11 PM »
Potential issues with the roots leading to dying leaves. How cold has it been at your place?

Too much organic amendments in the soil combined with overwatering and cold temperatures can open young mango trees up to infection by root rot and a multitude of fungal issues.

If that cover is over your plant in the daytime, it will not have much sunlight available to warm up, dry out and to photosynthesize.

Simon

AnnonaMangoLord45

• LeafyMango
  • I love Mangoes
    • SoCal zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2018, 11:24:16 PM »
Its in Sandy Loam(Pure), 50+ degrees at night, 80 degrees during daytime, and it started happening when the Santa Ana Winds starting hitting us, it was 90+ degrees, 30-40 mph consistent winds, and humidity in the single digits. the reason why I covered it with shade cloth is because of those santa anas.

AnnonaMangoLord45

• LeafyMango
  • I love Mangoes
    • SoCal zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2018, 11:27:22 PM »
I also recently raised the soil, as it was planted too low

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2018, 08:20:24 AM »
I’m sure transplant shock also has something to do with it. When a tree is moved, roots are often disturbed and root tips are broken off. This leads to an imbalance between the trees roots and shoots. After transplanting, some people remove branches or leaves or cut leaves in half. Trees are very sensitive after transplanting and I usually keep them in the shade(potted) if possible. Your tree is in the ground so you did the best you could. Next time just remember to take into account settling of the soil when you plant your trees.

Simon