Author Topic: fruit fly and jaboticaba?  (Read 2403 times)

huertasurbanas

• Junín, Argentina, zone 9b/9a
    • View Profile
    • huertasurbanas
fruit fly and jaboticaba?
« on: March 25, 2018, 09:09:58 AM »
Hi, some months ago Adam S. wrote that jaboticabas are not affected by fruit fly because of the thick skin

So I planted many of them (I would did it anyway! I love the plants and the taste of the fruits) thinking I will eat any fruit without worms in the future

So I ask another jaboticaba growers here: did you ever saw a worm into a jaboticaba fruit?

for sure different species or varieties will be more or less resistant...

look at this

https://books.google.com.ar/books?id=u3lwAgAAQBAJ&pg=PA265&lpg=PA265&dq=ceratitis+capitata+jaboticaba&source=bl&ots=lebJzLJ7f1&sig=wxE1RKyCq8fA60XUi8xLIuiEcv8&hl=es&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiD_raSxIfaAhUMgZAKHdxYDccQ6AEIRzAD#v=onepage&q=ceratitis%20capitata%20jaboticaba&f=false

huertasurbanas

• View Profile
    • huertasurbanas
Re: fruit fly and jaboticaba?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2018, 09:58:48 AM »
Here it seems to say that the infestation is very low on jaboticabas

http://www.scielo.br/scielo.php?script=sci_arttext&pid=S0103-84782002000600014

but maybe because they prefer to infect other  species near jaboticabas

"A ausência de infestação de mosca-das-frutas nos frutos de jabuticaba foi um fato inesperado no presente estudo e talvez seja reflexo da frutificação fora de época desta frutífera. Supõe-se, neste caso, que as moscas-das-frutas, uma vez concentradas em determinados hospedeiros em frutificação, não teriam necessidade de migrar para explorar outros; e em princípio, este é o fundamento da proposição da cultura armadilha (ALUJA et al., 1997)."

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2018, 02:23:51 PM »
They can get fruit fly, but it's uncommon here, and mostly the thin skinned types, Red Jabo mainly, never cabeluda, or blue Jabo
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2018, 05:44:05 PM »
We have practically every fruit fly known to man here, and jaboticabas here do not get fruit flies, unless the skin is cracked.
Oscar

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2018, 08:23:06 PM »
Last time I harvest I had a few large in side.
However those jabos were open.
Don't know if the larve did it or if a bird pecked it and allowed the flies to get in.
Red jabos BTW

WGphil

• Winter Garden Florida 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2018, 10:54:55 AM »
Have a bearing tree for about 14 years and in that time have removed the loquat and guava due to wormy fruit.  I have moved the Jabo to build a porch and recently  topped it without any bug problems.  Not a single worm, knock on wood.

Impossible to get a loquat or guava in the area due to fruit flys without poisons or labor intensive methods.

Jabo is a tasty choice without all that.

huertasurbanas

• View Profile
    • huertasurbanas
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2018, 09:38:03 PM »
Have a bearing tree for about 14 years and in that time have removed the loquat and guava due to wormy fruit.  I have moved the Jabo to build a porch and recently  topped it without any bug problems.  Not a single worm, knock on wood.

Impossible to get a loquat or guava in the area due to fruit flys without poisons or labor intensive methods.

Jabo is a tasty choice without all that.

Thanks to all of you, I planted many jaboticabas under the other fruit trees and, If I cant stop the fruit fly 100% using traps, spinosad (to try this year) and so on, I will have mostly jaboticabas in the garden...

The traps worked very good this season (3 or 4 for every tree), for instance the strawberry guava was full infected but, thanks to the traps, I didnt got any worm on eugenia repanda, sete capotes and others. Now I ate the first fruit fly free guavas and I hope I can still be eating more clean fruit in the next weeks...

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2018, 04:03:38 PM »
There are many species of fruit flies and some areas may have a dozen or so native and foreign ones.There are a variety of fruit preferences.The worst 5 or 6 get into a wide variety of fruits.None of the local species here or introduced ones like Q fly and med fly attack jabs. Maybe there is a few localised flies in Sth America that do but most areas are probably the same as here and leave the jabs alone.The genus Dacus has a few bad ass flies.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2018, 09:28:03 PM »
There are many species of fruit flies and some areas may have a dozen or so native and foreign ones.There are a variety of fruit preferences.The worst 5 or 6 get into a wide variety of fruits.None of the local species here or introduced ones like Q fly and med fly attack jabs. Maybe there is a few localised flies in Sth America that do but most areas are probably the same as here and leave the jabs alone.The genus Dacus has a few bad ass flies.
Don't think there are any special fruit flies in Brazil that attack jaboticaba, but will find out.
Oscar

strkpr00

• USA, Florida, Davie zone10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2018, 08:20:32 AM »
I had a few last year, maybe 2/3 of the crop. It is also planted near to the Grumichama which gets worms.

nelesedulis

• I want to increase my collection of fruit trees!
    • Carangola, Minas Gerais Brazil
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2018, 09:31:04 AM »
It really is rare for the fruit fly to attack jabuticabas, it happens more rarely, usually those who damage the jabuticabas here are the birds and the ants, eventually when very mature other insects can cause damage.
Facebook
Alexandre Neles
Seeking information and new techniques, friendships are always welcome!

WGphil

• Winter Garden Florida 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2018, 11:34:06 AM »
I had a cardinal get drunk on fruit that had turned.

Couldn’t hardly stand and balance at same time. 

The tougher skin eliminates some  pest types in the same way a nectarine is less buggy than peaches.