Author Topic: Achacha seeds source in US/Hawaii?  (Read 1625 times)

palologrower

• Honolulu, HI, US, Zone 12B
    • View Profile
Achacha seeds source in US/Hawaii?
« on: April 17, 2018, 03:51:25 AM »
topic came up in htfg re: the source of the achacha plants that are fruiting in hawaii.  sounds like it came from just a couple of places. 

I was wondering if the genetic diversity of the seeds in the US is really that limited. If that is the case, I immediately thought of that achacha festival in santa cruz, bolivia.  anyone ever sourced seeds from that festival or know someone that would grab some and send?  Or is that not a possibility? Just thinking out loud.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
Re: Achacha seeds source in US/Hawaii?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2018, 04:18:19 AM »
Seems like all the seeds in Hawaii are from Puerto Rico. The USDA in PR had it in their collection, incorrectly labelled for a long time as Rheedia brasilensis. I am guessing that they must have originally sourced it directly or indierectly from Bolivia.
Oscar

barath

• Southern California, USDA Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2018, 12:05:45 PM »
Did folks get some from Sadhu in PR?  Because he supposedly had selected some of the better Bolivian types.  And now, sadly, his farm and collection is all destroyed and he has to start over.

HIfarm

• Paukaa, HI, USA zone 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2018, 01:53:11 PM »
My trees are still small but mine were sourced from a couple of our friends "downunder" from fruit commercially available there.  Not sure if their source was significantly different from those already here in HI.  We'll see when they eventually start to bear.

Getting some more diversity as you suggest Lance is probably not a bad idea.  I think a lot of fruits get branded as "good" or "bad" based upon one particular strain that happened to be imported by someone.

John

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2018, 10:47:56 PM »
I don't know, but from what i've heard it seems that achachairu is like Luc's garcinia in that it has variation in shape and size, but taste is pretty much the same, not much variation in taste.
But i egree still that it's good to try to get from different sources and have diversity.
Oscar

palologrower

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2018, 05:21:45 AM »
@HiFarm and fruitlovers....

That's why I like go Bolivia for that festival in Santa Cruz while see the salt flats and maybe altiplano while I'm at it!

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2018, 06:33:53 AM »
@HiFarm and fruitlovers....

That's why I like go Bolivia for that festival in Santa Cruz while see the salt flats and maybe altiplano while I'm at it!
Sure, i'd love to go there myself. Too many great places to go to and things to do.
Oscar

palologrower

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2018, 03:27:36 PM »
@fruitlovers.  one day i'll have to make it there!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk