Author Topic: Artocarpus collection and spacing  (Read 3741 times)

Kona fruit farm

• Aloha
    • Big Island; Hawaii. Kona 1700' Elev. Zone 12a
    • View Profile
Artocarpus collection and spacing
« on: April 21, 2018, 01:22:20 AM »
Well friends.  I’ve been working on a project for almost a year now that’s coming to completion!  Backfilling a 200 ft long retaining wall at the bottom of my property.  I am planning out the trees to plant and I will be laying irrigation lines with drip system as well.  So the trees will get some TLC

It’s left me with an area approximately 200 ft long and 60 ft wide.   Here’s what I’m planning on planting in the space:

Artocarpus elasticus (already in the ground.  10’ tall and has been topped)
2 Keledang
Artocarpus chama??   Not sure the real name
2-3 marang
2-3 pedalai
2 artocarpus hirisutus
2 chempedek
Jackfruit

Here’s the question for you experts out there. Do all these trees need equal spacing??  I know the pedalai wants to get huge and the marang too. I am planning on doing some serious top working on all these trees FYI...  and also Am I missing any must have artocarpus??

« Last Edit: April 21, 2018, 06:22:13 AM by Kona fruit farm »
With 3 acres of prime real estate for growing tropicals... why not create my own garden of eden?? Work in progress

sahai1

• NST, THAILAND
    • View Profile
Re: Artocarpus collection and spacing
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2018, 01:44:24 AM »
Artocarpus lacucha - Lakoocha, got two growing now, hoping for good stuff!

Also the Red 'suriya' Jackfruit might be worth planting as well, I got one in the ground, also hoping for good stuff. 

I think a better question is whether all these Artocarpus need sun on the trunk or on the lower branches to be healthy.    I don't know, but you can always do a high production method, plant 4 meters, and cull middle trees to increase spacing to 8-9 meters when they are full grown.  Assuming these all do well where you at Durian would likely do well also...

An understory planting of 'Buuk' https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Konjac would do well in the full shade from these trees, and is a new crop I think rare where you are at.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2018, 02:06:01 AM »
I'd give them all 30 foot spacing, except for the pedalai, marang, and mendi. (Mendi is common name for elsasticus.) These 3 get wider and taller. I'd give them 40 foot spacing. Pedalai could even need 50 feet if you don't keep seriously pruning it.
Keep in mind that on rocky ground the big 3 can put up some serious roots above ground. Also they have heavy leaf litter. So hope you are not planning on mowing under them?
Other good artocarpus i would add are mentawak and kwai muk.
Sounds like a fun project. Good luck with all. You will soon have an artocarpus jungle!

Oscar

Kona fruit farm

• Aloha
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2018, 06:21:11 AM »
That’s right. I forgot to mention I already have a Kwai muk.  From you actually Oscar.  It’s been in the ground 3 years. It’s healthy and strong.  About 10’ tall now.

Do you have mentawak? 

As far as spacing goes I’ve got them at about 30’  right now.  So that’s good.  Are the grafted chempedek trees that wide?  Seems like I remember them not getting so big.   I will take a picture tomorrow morning to show scale. 

With 3 acres of prime real estate for growing tropicals... why not create my own garden of eden?? Work in progress

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2018, 04:42:15 PM »
That’s right. I forgot to mention I already have a Kwai muk.  From you actually Oscar.  It’s been in the ground 3 years. It’s healthy and strong.  About 10’ tall now.

Do you have mentawak? 

As far as spacing goes I’ve got them at about 30’  right now.  So that’s good.  Are the grafted chempedek trees that wide?  Seems like I remember them not getting so big.   I will take a picture tomorrow morning to show scale.
Don't have any mentawak plants right now. Maybe in a few months. Yes the grafting will probably dwarf the chempadek a bit. Where did you get it?
Oscar

Ulfr

• Brisbane Australia
    • View Profile
    • Practical Primate
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2018, 04:59:24 PM »
You mentioned doing serious pruning. Pruning is apparently very effective with jacks but not sure about the others. With consistent pruning Oscar could those spacing be reduced?

My grafted jacks are planted high density and spaced 15-16ft. I am hoping this is doable long term, time will tell.

I guess you also have the problem that stuff grows more quickly there and so would require higher spacing.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2018, 05:03:43 PM by Ulfr »

Finca La Isla

• Costa Rica, Southern Caribbean coast
    • View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2018, 05:41:31 PM »
I would add a champajak.  I think that the Jakfruit is a lot easier to keep small than a marang or pedalai.  We are being way more vigilant now with artocarpus pruning than in the past.  Certainly the jak, champ, and champ/jak can be managed in a 25-30’ spacing.  The marang is responding to the pruning and I am hoping I can keep it nicely shaped in a space that is 25’ X 35’.  Pedalai is something else, it just seems to need room.  It’s a fun project!
Peter

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2018, 06:39:39 PM »
You mentioned doing serious pruning. Pruning is apparently very effective with jacks but not sure about the others. With consistent pruning Oscar could those spacing be reduced?

My grafted jacks are planted high density and spaced 15-16ft. I am hoping this is doable long term, time will tell.

I guess you also have the problem that stuff grows more quickly there and so would require higher spacing.
Pruning is effective on all. The only question is, will you really do it consistently? Moxt people lax off after the trees get big, and then they get out of control.
Oscar

Ulfr

• Brisbane Australia
    • View Profile
    • Practical Primate
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2018, 06:48:02 PM »

Pruning is effective on all. The only question is, will you really do it consistently? Moxt people lax off after the trees get big, and then they get out of control.

I will (can’t speak for op). I use the same spacing for mangoes currently and only have a half acre to play with. Doable at my spacing you reckon?

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2018, 09:45:02 PM »

I will (can’t speak for op). I use the same spacing for mangoes currently and only have a half acre to play with. Doable at my spacing you reckon?
Yes doable. BTW i think that is the spacing used when jacks are used as windbreak row.
Oscar

cbss_daviefl

• USA, Southwest Ranches,FL 33331, 10B
    • View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2018, 07:21:38 AM »
There is a commercial jackfruit grower here with the trees at 8 x 15 spacing. He claimed to get 100lbs per tree.  My jackfruit trees are mostly planted at 15 x 15. My trees are only 5 years in the ground but I don't think this will be an issue with a once a year pruning.

Brandon

Kona fruit farm

• Aloha
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2018, 01:06:31 PM »
Do any of my Hawaii friends out there have lakoocha tree(s)?   Or metawak?  Or pingan? Or chempedek? I need all these for my planting collection. 

Kona fruit farm

• Aloha
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2018, 02:22:22 PM »

Bush2Beach

• Santa Cruz, California Sunset Zone 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2018, 11:07:14 PM »
Wowza! Your place is looking awesome! Job well done.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2018, 11:58:45 PM »
Do any of my Hawaii friends out there have lakoocha tree(s)?   Or metawak?  Or pingan? Or chempedek? I need all these for my planting collection.
Have lakoocha, probably some chempadeks also.
Oscar

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2018, 12:00:10 AM »
Is that soil you trucked in? Place looking nice. You'll have to give me a tour some day.
Oscar

Kona fruit farm

• Aloha
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2018, 02:07:30 AM »
Yes Oscar.  Trucking in dirt would be an understatement...  here’s a photo after the wall was built and as the excavator was working to spread the fill/rocks.  Trucked in over 50 loads!    Whole project took over a year but I turned a huge are of unusable space into a super legit area.   Now it’s artocarpus time!   

But yes I’ll stop by soon and grab that lakoocha from you and possibly some
Chempedek.  🤙🏼

Finished product is real nice tho
« Last Edit: April 23, 2018, 02:12:16 AM by Kona fruit farm »

DurianLover

• Bali, Indonesia
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2018, 05:04:53 PM »

Finished product is real nice tho

Amazing view. Must be around 2400 feet elevation I guess??? 

This is my favorite marang video. Most beautiful and amazing tree. Can give you an idea about eventual size. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPCen9uIofI

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2018, 05:18:51 PM »
50 truck loads of soil? Ouch. That must have set you back? Good investment though!
Oscar

Ethan

• Central California Z9/9
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2018, 12:00:04 AM »
Wow, some serious work but will be so worth it, good luck!

Kona fruit farm

• Aloha
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2018, 03:20:16 AM »
i'm at 1600 ft elevation over here.   so not too bad.

oscar luckily almost all of those loads were just "fill" with rocks and boulders...  i had a guy doing it for $150/load..   still all in i think i spent about $7000 on filling the wall   another $5000 on the excavation work that was done....  crazy the lengths i'm going to landscape this yard of mine.  All worth it in the end to me.