Author Topic: Should I train my cambuca?  (Read 1029 times)

Daintree

• Boise, Idaho - zone 6, with a zone 12 greenhouse...
    • View Profile
Should I train my cambuca?
« on: May 20, 2018, 10:50:21 AM »
I have two cambuca trees that are 5 years old.  They seem happy and healthy, but they have a very low, spreading habit.  They are only about 1 ft high, but 3 ft wide.  Very leafy and healthy looking. They are in pots in my greenhouse.
Should I be training them to a more upright position, or just let them go as they are? Some of the branches actually hang lower than the edge of the 10 gallon pots they are in.

Thanks!
Carolyn

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
Re: Should I train my cambuca?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2018, 08:52:10 PM »
I have two cambuca trees that are 5 years old.  They seem happy and healthy, but they have a very low, spreading habit.  They are only about 1 ft high, but 3 ft wide.  Very leafy and healthy looking. They are in pots in my greenhouse.
Should I be training them to a more upright position, or just let them go as they are? Some of the branches actually hang lower than the edge of the 10 gallon pots they are in.

Thanks!
Carolyn
They grow and look a lot like guava, just a lot slower growing. It all depends on what you want as final product? Personally at that stage i would let them be, you want max phytosynthesis due to slow growth. I would start pruning them when 3-4 foot tall.
Oscar

00christian00

• Italy, Zone 9a
    • View Profile
Re: Should I train my cambuca?
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2018, 01:58:55 AM »
When I don't want to cut I always train the branches with wires to open/close the canopy an guide a branch in a specific direction.
I see no reason to let it grow freely if you got the time do do it