Author Topic: Pomelo pruning  (Read 1830 times)

Lory

• Cebu-Philippines 10° N
    • View Profile
Pomelo pruning
« on: June 08, 2018, 05:53:28 AM »
My 2 grafted pomelos are both about 3 years old.
In general they look quite healthy but i'm a bit worried because the branches are spreading and have a "dropping"  ruffled look as if the top the new growth were too heavy
Should i prune them? And if yes, severely? Or this is the normal shape of their canopy?
To be noticed that (unfortunately)  they never flowered/fruited  yet....  :(
Thanks for any advice!

Lorenzo

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
Re: Pomelo pruning
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2018, 08:32:27 PM »
My advise  would be leave them be, no pruning.  As they grow they will develop a nice round shape.

Lory

• Cebu-Philippines 10° N
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2018, 08:53:00 PM »
Ok I will let them grow freely then.
How many years could it take for them to bear fruit according to your experience?
Thanks !
Lorenzo

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2018, 10:27:20 PM »
You say they are grafted trees.  If they were grafted with a mature pummelo scion, they should fruit at any time.  I'm a little surprised that they have not already set some blooms.

Lory

• Cebu-Philippines 10° N
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2018, 11:55:48 PM »
I'm surprised as well.
They come from a reputable nursery in Davao City should be reliable.
Maybe the trees need just to get a little bit tougher in order to bear those cannonball-size fruits.
I hope soon!
Lorenzo

chickenfreak

• NSB, FL zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2018, 02:08:00 PM »
My Pink Pomelo has been in the ground in central FL for 2 years.  It was spindly when I planted it.  It survived a major hurricane both years.  It survived 2 light freezes and 1 hard one this winter.  This Spring it had a great growth flush, produced flowers for the first time, and now has 7 large fruits on it.
Maybe all you need to do is abuse your tree and it will flower?   ;)

Lory

• Cebu-Philippines 10° N
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2018, 12:54:04 AM »
Your post sounds like a joke but...there is some truth in it!
As i noticed for my experience (and not only for citruses but in general for all fruit trees) there are 2 conditions that "force" a tree to flower and bear early:

A- the tree is growing in an IDEAL environment with perfect combination of soil/water/climatic conditions/fertilizing etc...in this case tree will thrive and will reach quite quickly an adequate dimension to bear fruits

B- The tree is experience a strong STRESS condition (may it be water deficiency or persts attack or too hot/cold temperatures) something really putting so much pressure on it and undermining even its own existence.
Well in many of these cases the tree will be more prone to flower and bear fruits, it's like an evolutionist urgency to reproduce before the worst might happen.  :D

Well I think your pomelo experienced this kind of B condition while mine is growing in a confortable condition that's why it has no urgency to reproduce now since it can still grow easily :-)

Lorenzo