Author Topic: Tasted My Home Grown Tommy and I loved it!!!  (Read 12616 times)

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
Tasted My Home Grown Tommy and I loved it!!!
« on: October 15, 2012, 09:30:33 AM »
Hi Fellow Members,

This thread is dedicated to the Tommy Atkins mango!!!

I ate my mango on Saturday and it was truly amazing!!! Took quite a bit to ripen, though, the fruit turned out great and was well worth the wait to bite into this badboy ;D I finally found my childhood mango, that i ate alot and took to school...such wonderful memories :)

The review on my Tommy Atkins grown in the Pearl of the Atlantic!
I noticed the fruit had tones of citrus, with a mango type flavour, not a full bodied flavour like Palmer and had some complex flavour which couldn't be deciphered...Î also picked up some ginger undertones at the back of my palate!

My climate and rich soil surely did do wonder for the flavor of the mango and I truly loved my first ever home grown mango :) Zands and Chris...you guys nailed it ;D

I once commented with a friend, that I was thinking of topworking the tree...not anymore!!! I know it ain't a Nam Doc Mai or Maha, Though, it's up there! ;) This badboy is here too stay and with my rich native soil...gave it a truly amazing flavour...not like a bland fruit that we get in the supermarket...if I had alot of space, I would pop 10 trees in the ground, without thinking twice!!!

All been said...Tommy Atkins deserves some respect for being one of the leading export mango and for being an old cv! Tommy Atkins that is home grown is truly fantastic and we can harvest the fruit when it's ripe, for a fully developed flavor and sweetness! Tommy Atkins for the export market is harvest under ripe, so that the fruit can last a long time, until it reaches the shelf! Another thing is that Tommy Atkins is consider a tasteless mango...because the exporter don't give a rat's ass if the fruit is ripe or not for the consumer!  That's why Tommy get's such bad reviews :(

Cheers ;)

Time is like a river.
You cannot touch the same water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again.
Enjoy every moment of your life!

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Tasted My Home Grown Tommy and I loved it!!!
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2012, 01:47:37 PM »
If this ghread is dedicated to the TA, it is going to be a very quiet thread.

While i won't doubt that you liked, i will say that it in no way wojld ever compete with the likes of a Mahachanok.
- Rob

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • Pembroke Pines, FL, 33024, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2012, 01:50:01 PM »
It might not be one of the best mango cultivars, but as long as you enjoyed it, that's what counts.  :)  I'm pretty sure a home grown tommy, especially in areas with volcanic soil, will beat the supermarket tommys by a mile.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2012, 01:51:36 PM by Tropicalgrower89 »
Alexi

TnTrobbie

• runs with pruners
  • ZonePusher has a spot for that.
    • 10b + 9b FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2012, 01:50:33 PM »
It certainly has a nice colour. :P
Nice little tree you got there. I love to see trees that size that wants to bear and hold lots of fruit.
I'm all for experiencing and letting my palate decide.
Soil and conditions changes everything. Any mango looks great to me right about now  :( .
The hint of ginger tones in your flavor descriptor is quite interesting.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2012, 01:52:22 PM by TnTrobbie »
The Earth laughs in flowers. And bear gifts through fruits.
No where to plant it ...but at least I got it. ;)
F*ck squirrels and deers

tabbydan

• Washington DC area
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2012, 02:07:10 PM »
I always thought TA was to mangoes what "Red Delicious" is to apples.

I only purchase mangoes if I know they are NOT TA (America's most popular mango to sell).

But as someone else said, if you enjoyed it that's what counts.
What's that got to do with Jose Andres $10 brussel sprouts?

Felipe

• Global Moderator
    • Canary Islands, Spain - 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2012, 02:51:33 PM »
Soil and conditions changes everything.

Also propper rippening at the tree. So cultural and harvest practices makes the difference. I have tasted ripe commertial mangos from the tree which tasted awesome...

Steven, congratullations on your first home grown mango, looks yummi ;)

Pancrazio

• Off Tropic
  • Florence, Italy, USDA 8
    • Growing fruits in Florence, and Pratovecchio, Italy
    • View Profile
    • FruttAma.it
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2012, 02:58:39 PM »
Congratulations!
It is a great satisfaction to grow your own mangoes, it isn't?
That plants seems also crazily productive. For sure, it puts on shame my glenn!
Italian fruit forum

I want to buy/trade central asia apricots. Contact me in PM if interested.

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2012, 04:05:21 PM »
If this ghread is dedicated to the TA, it is going to be a very quiet thread.

While i won't doubt that you liked, i will say that it in no way wojld ever compete with the likes of a Mahachanok.

Hi Roberto,
Dude, there is already a bunch of replies...who said it was going to be a quiet one ???  ;D As long as i share and spread the word about tommy being a great mango...I am happy :)

As i have said; It's ain't a Maha...Though, it's up there and deserves some spotlight ;) I know you are a Gordon Ramsay of them Mangoes...If i only could get you to taste one...maybe, you will think happy thoughts about Tommy, for a change :-)

It might not be one of the best mango cultivars, but as long as you enjoyed it, that's what counts.  :)  I'm pretty sure a home grown tommy, especially in areas with volcanic soil, will beat the supermarket tommys by a mile.

Hi Alexi,
 :) As long as i enjoy the fruit, that's what counts. I agree :) Supermarket Tommy, ain't got nothing on this badboy that has been grown in a rich soil  8)

It certainly has a nice colour. :P
Nice little tree you got there. I love to see trees that size that wants to bear and hold lots of fruit.
I'm all for experiencing and letting my palate decide.
Soil and conditions changes everything. Any mango looks great to me right about now  :( .
The hint of ginger tones in your flavor descriptor is quite interesting.

Hi TnTrobbie,
 :) The tree is quite small and I was scared that the branches would break with the weight of the fruit, so, I added some bamboo poles as support.
When I was tasting, the fruit one cube at a time.  I had a note book beside me and i was wrote the flavors that popped up...truth be told, I was quite intrigued with the ginger undertones...so, I asked my sister and she also caught the ginger...I thought, i was getting loco for a moment ;D

I always thought TA was to mangoes what "Red Delicious" is to apples.
I only purchase mangoes if I know they are NOT TA (America's most popular mango to sell).
But as someone else said, if you enjoyed it that's what counts.

Hi Dan,
hehe they are truly are the 'Red delicious' of them mangos ;D
I also tend to stay away from supermarket tommies and head towards them Palmers ;)
 :)

Soil and conditions changes everything.

Also propper rippening at the tree. So cultural and harvest practices makes the difference. I have tasted ripe commertial mangos from the tree which tasted awesome...

Steven, congratullations on your first home grown mango, looks yummi ;)

Hola Felipe,
Without a shadow of a doubt, Tree ripenned mangoes are truly the best 8) I left the others on the tree to get fully ripe :)

Thanks, Felipe! Hopefully, next year, I will take care of the tree and control the powdery mildew, to get fruit set from the first blooms...and have ripe fruit by July to August :)

Congratulations!
It is a great satisfaction to grow your own mangoes, it isn't?
That plants seems also crazily productive. For sure, it puts on shame my glenn!

Hi Pan,
Truly, is a great satisfaction to grow and eat our own mangoes :)
The past three years , I alway's removed them small fruits and promote growth flushes. Early next year, I will get the tree running with proper fert and abundant water...to get the tree to flush and flower early :) Pan, you should do the same and get your Glenn running and Hopefully, you will get some Fiorentini mangos 8)

« Last Edit: October 15, 2012, 04:12:02 PM by Jackfruitwhisperer69 »
Time is like a river.
You cannot touch the same water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2012, 05:19:24 PM »
Steven, i have tried many home grown TAs and i can think of 50 - 100 better varieties.

Again, this is my constructive opinion and not meant to burst your bubble.  As you should know me by now, i am not one to just post "congratulations" just for the sake of making a post.  A better way of putting it...if you liked the TA then there will be a whole world of mangoes out there that you will most likely like better.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2012, 06:25:20 AM by bsbullie »
- Rob

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2012, 05:34:28 PM »
Steven, i have tried many home grown TAs and i can think of 50 - 100 better varieties.

Again, tbis is my constructive opinion and not meant to burst your bubble.  As you should know me by now, i am not one to just post "congratulations" just for the sake of making a post.  A better way of putting it...if you liked tv hat Ft A then there will be a whole world of manvoes out there that you will most likely like better.

Just pulling your leg.  :P  ;) I guess you were typing extremely fast without proof reading.  ;D   :)
Alexi

samuelforest

• Montreal (5b) COLD!
  • Mangoes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2012, 05:43:06 PM »
I'm glad you liked it. I'm not sure if I would have, but if you like it that's what counts!

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2012, 06:26:16 AM »

Again, tbis is my constructive opinion and not meant to burst your bubble.  As you should know me by now, i am not one to just post "congratulations" just for the sake of making a post.  A better way of putting it...if you liked tv hat Ft A then there will be a whole world of manvoes out there that you will most likely like better.

Just pulling your leg.  :P  ;) I guess you were typing extremely fast without proof reading.  ;D   :)
Thanks...I have corrected my post...damn smart phones  :(
- Rob

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2012, 06:42:52 AM »
Is there a mid-Atlantic island where we can hold a Tommy Atkins showdown? This would be between a dead ripe TA from Dr Campbell's yard  (I hear he has one) versus Steve's hot little number from the hot volcanic soil of Madiera island. My Tommy Atkins bet is his volcanic is Titanic..........and will win

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2012, 07:18:11 AM »

Again, this is my constructive opinion and not meant to burst your bubble.  As you should know me by now, i am not one to just post "congratulations" just for the sake of making a post.  A better way of putting it...if you liked the TA then there will be a whole world of mangoes out there that you will most likely like better.

Hi Rob,
Tommy Atkins is a stepping stone for me...I only have 4 years of experience growing Mangoes. So, I choose this var. because the tree has excellent disease resistance, productivity and them fruits are delish. With time, I will head onto more challanging cultivars and trial them here, to see if they will adapt to my climate. I'm a person that prefer a full bodied mango, that gives a nice kick of flavours. I do acknowledge that there are far superior mangoes out there. though, my first mango was really great and I'm happy to have Tommy, in my Orchard :)

Your constructive opinions are always welcome ;)
Time is like a river.

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2012, 07:19:54 AM »
I'm glad you liked it. I'm not sure if I would have, but if you like it that's what counts!

Hi Samuel,
Merci beaucoup :)
Time is like a river.

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2012, 07:27:37 AM »
Is there a mid-Atlantic island where we can hold a Tommy Atkins showdown? This would be between a dead ripe TA from Dr Campbell's yard  (I hear he has one) versus Steve's hot little number from the hot volcanic soil of Madiera island. My Tommy Atkins bet is his volcanic is Titanic..........and will win

Hi Zands,
The only Island near me that grows Mangoes, is the Canary Islands. Felipe's soil is also volcanic in origin. I'm quite amazed to hear that Dr Campbell has a Tommy in his yard :o I guess his also a Tommy luva ;D Thanks for sharing :)
Time is like a river.

Adacaosky

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2012, 09:59:29 AM »
Wow, sweet success!!  ;D  8)  ;D

I think you've unlocked those hidden genes within the Tommy Atkins and allowed it to shine at its very best. Good job on ya! I'm almost positive that it's due to the rich soils along with your climate, which twisted those mango arms into submission and put out quality fruits. LOL!

The flawless skin, color, and productivity are well known traits, but to add along a taste you enjoy is icing on the cake.  8) 8) Ginger on the back of your palate? How very interesting! Sounds delish! I was munching on candied ginger earlier today. That's my zesty, zingy guilty pleasure.

Outstanding results out there on Madeira!! Now, I wonder if the remaining fruits will showcase other flavors and nuances???? Sometimes, there is variance in flavors on fruits from the same tree. How exciting! Please let us know how that goes.

Now you have fresh seeds which you can grow out for rootstocks! You'll have 10 other trees in no time if you save every single seed and graft them with scions from the mother tree.
Now that's how you get from one mango tree to ten in one year!

Enjoy your delicious mango harvest!!!  8) 8) 8) 8)

Chris
✌🏽

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2012, 01:55:45 PM »
Jeff  :-)

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2012, 02:42:33 PM »
 :) Thanks. I get them from here: http://alltheragefaces.com/
Alexi

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2012, 02:59:46 PM »
And here i was giving you "credit" for drawing them...
- Rob

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2012, 04:15:43 PM »
And here i was giving you "credit" for drawing them...

I didn't know anybody was crediting me for making the drawing itself... They are drawings, but I didn't make them. They've been around for awhile.

This is the only one I made. Technically, it was a photo shop I did and not a drawing. I used a free photoshop program.

« Last Edit: October 16, 2012, 04:21:46 PM by Tropicalgrower89 »
Alexi

Pancrazio

• Off Tropic
  • Florence, Italy, USDA 8
    • Growing fruits in Florence, and Pratovecchio, Italy
    • View Profile
    • FruttAma.it
« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2012, 04:40:47 PM »
Hey Steven,
Just a question: do you remember the day you took the second picture? I'd love to try to make some calculations.
Italian fruit forum

I want to buy/trade central asia apricots. Contact me in PM if interested.

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2012, 05:36:24 PM »
Wow, sweet success!!  ;D  8)  ;D
 I think you've unlocked those hidden genes within the Tommy Atkins and allowed it to shine at its very best. Good job on ya! I'm almost positive that it's due to the rich soils along with your climate, which twisted those mango arms into submission and put out quality fruits. LOL!
The flawless skin, color, and productivity are well known traits, but to add along a taste you enjoy is icing on the cake.  8) 8) Ginger on the back of your palate? How very interesting! Sounds delish! I was munching on candied ginger earlier today. That's my zesty, zingy guilty pleasure.
Outstanding results out there on Madeira!! Now, I wonder if the remaining fruits will showcase other flavors and nuances???? Sometimes, there is variance in flavors on fruits from the same tree. How exciting! Please let us know how that goes.
Now you have fresh seeds which you can grow out for rootstocks! You'll have 10 other trees in no time if you save every single seed and graft them with scions from the mother tree.
Now that's how you get from one mango tree to ten in one year!
Enjoy your delicious mango harvest!!!  8) 8) 8) 8)
Chris

Howdy Chris ;D
 ;D ;D ;D Your funny ;D I done my best and the fruit actually turned out great 8) As I have said above...this one was the cv. i took to school...and my uniform always get's showered with the juice and get a moustache and goatee of mango pulp ;D I always peeled the mango with my hands and teeth...no knifes are allowed ;) One day, I was working my way to the seed...all of a sudden, a freak'n huge weevil, pop out of the husk and I freak'd out....It took me a few weeks to bite a mango again :o I couldn't resist them ;D

I also have a weakness for them ginger sweets 8)...I find them excellent for a sore throat ;) I agree with you...there must be variation between them fruit on the same tree...will give an update. I am letting the other to fully ripen on the tree...i reckon the flavor, will improve 8)

I did plant the seed from this fruit ;D The seed was very healthy with a nice ivory colour...I never plant mango seeds with a gray type colour, which has a funky type smell ;)  I am definitely going this seedling as a rootstock :)

Thanks so much, Chris :)

Hey Steven,
Just a question: do you remember the day you took the second picture? I'd love to try to make some calculations.

Hi Pan,
Now you got me curious ;D I will check them dates on the pics ;)Now, the only problem, is that I don't know if the 2nd pic is from the first bloom or the 2nd :-\
Time is like a river.

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2012, 07:33:51 AM »
Hey Steven,

Hi Pan,

My pics have no dates...So, I remembered that i posted a pic on Nancy's thread;

http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=1255.msg21624#msg21624

Don't think this is accurate...It doesn't take 4 months for a mango to ripen!

How long does a mango from bloom to harvest take? 6 months?
Time is like a river.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2012, 07:59:11 AM »
Hey Steven,

Hi Pan,

My pics have no dates...So, I remembered that i posted a pic on Nancy's thread;

http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=1255.msg21624#msg21624

Don't think this is accurate...It doesn't take 4 months for a mango to ripen!

How long does a mango from bloom to harvest take? 6 months?
that is within the ball park, depending on the variety, give or take
- Rob

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk