Author Topic: Zills is Grafting Mahachanok  (Read 29355 times)

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
Re: Zills is Grafting Mahachanok
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2013, 01:47:46 PM »
Or look at the Edward, which produces poorly for pine island nursery and performs fairly well here in my area of Broward.

On this issue...there's some evidence that Edward produces better when planted next to certain cultivars over others.

One of its biggest problems seems to be that it has a tendency to produce too many male flowers.

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2013, 04:23:05 PM »
My guess is that you're talking about Hispanics born and raised in the US and therefore steeped in American culture. I meant Hispanic as a cultural distinction -- those who were born and raised abroad and who immigrated to the US.

Seeing as how you're not fluent in Spanish, my guess is that your pop was not the first immigrant to the US in your family line. It takes a couple of generations before the offspring lose their fore fathers' native tongue.

In California, we referred to the US born Hispanics as Chicanos. The university where I did my undergrad offered classes on Chicano studies to meet the general education req's. Being raised in an immigrant community, I always knew the distinction, but I was taken aback at how few Americans (ie, gringos) understood the difference.

But, yah, I've never had much luck convincing my English speaking friends that there is actually another group of individuals whose taste preferences are different from the standard American palate. Everytime I bring this up on the forum, it's as if I'm talking about the loch ness monster or big foot :-). The concept is quite simple though -- different cultures exist and different cultures have different preferences. Doesn't seem like it's that controversial of a statement ...

Next time I head down to El Salvador, I need to bring some mangoes for an official taste test -- Edward vs Okrung!

It doesn't surprise me that Haitians like Edward; they are quite fond of the Haden.

That hasn't been my experience with Edward at all. The Hispanics I sell to LOVE Edward! So do the Haitians. I've even turned some Jamaican customers to it, normally very partial to their home mangos. And not for nothing but my father was hispanic and it was his favorite mango.

And I don't really identify my 'taste' as being aligned with any particular ethnic or racial group. I love a wide variety of flavors in mangoes.

Guess different strokes for different folks. Its really not worth quibbling over though.  :)
Jeff  :-)

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2013, 04:29:12 PM »
If you travel or get to know the immigrants that live right here in SoFL, you'll quickly realize that your 'taste' is a product of your upbringing.

And I don't really identify my 'taste' as being aligned with any particular ethnic or racial group. I love a wide variety of flavors in mangoes.

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2013, 06:09:43 PM »
The Pizza Cognition Theory states that "the first slice of pizza a child sees and tastes ... becomes, for him, pizza."

Maybe the same applies to mangoes. Maybe the first mangoes you eat from that same backyard tree imprint on you and are what you use to judge all mangoes to come

natsgarden123

« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2013, 06:22:12 PM »
The Pizza Cognition Theory states that "the first slice of pizza a child sees and tastes ... becomes, for him, pizza."

Maybe the same applies to mangoes. Maybe the first mangoes you eat from that same backyard tree imprint on you and are what you use to judge all mangoes to come

excellent point  :)

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2013, 06:29:03 PM »
:-) It's deeper than that. Notice that a large portion of the North American candies are laden with citric acid. Back when I was a tot, I used the proceeds of my paper route to purchase egregious quantities of sour candies such as SweetTart, DinoSour eggs, and myriad other really sour candies. As I got into my teens, they started producing candies with enough citrus acid to make holes in your teeth under names like 'Super Sourz' and the like.

Contrast this to Latin American countries, where the candies are predominantly sweet, with very little citric acid.

Also, North American fruits are often acidic. Think of apples, cranberries, pears, etc. Where the fruits of choice in Latin American countries are sweet with little to no acidity (eg, bananas, sapodillas, mamey sapote, etc). The sour fuits are never consumed fresh; they are mixed with copious amounts of sugar and made into beverages or sweets.

Our parents also cooked meals and sweets in accordance with cultural norms.

So, we've grown up eating and appreciating the tastes valued by our particular culture.

« Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 06:30:53 PM by Cookie Monster »

Mr. Clean

• FLMangos.com
    • US, FL, West Palm Beach, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
    • Florida's Finest Mangos
« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2013, 08:12:55 PM »
Wow, my thread got hijacked to iphones and a study of Latin cultural differences.  As for iphones, I have an android kyocera hydro (water resistant phone) that cost $99 without a contract.  I get unlimited voice, text, and data for $40 per month from boostmobile.  The android phones backs up your contacts in google email, that alone is worth the cost of the phone.

I grew up eating White Perry Mangos in Hawaii, but I am relatively new to planting my own mango trees.  I have been one of the ones to buy many of the new varieties.  My theory is that if I didn't like it, I could plant another tree (I had the space).  Now, as I'm looking at my yard, certain mango trees have lots of flowers and others look dormant.  As a fruit tree hobbiest, I want trees that are easy to grow (disease resistant) and produce lots of fruit with almost no work and taste good.  My understanding is that Mahachanok has a strong track record of meeting those three criteria. 

www.FLMangos.com

110+ fruit trees/plants; 60+ mango trees; 9 jackfruit; 6 avocado; 3 persimmon; longan; and a dog that keeps raccoons and squirrels away.

Squam256

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2013, 08:48:29 PM »

Seeing as how you're not fluent in Spanish, my guess is that your pop was not the first immigrant to the US in your family line.

He was born and raised in Colombia.

I guess what it boils down to is I disagree with this implied notion that Edward is a mango hispanics fundamentally won't like because of some ingrained flavor preference and that Lancetilla is. Haden is plenty popular with hispanics as well actually. Further, there are lots of different hispanics....from south America, Central America, Mexico, the Caribbean. I think its difficult to place them all under one umbrella for what mango flavor they all prefer.

Noel is really fond of Cogshall. Does Cogshall make the list of mangos hispanics are supposed to like?
« Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 09:02:58 PM by Squam256 »

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 22, 2013, 10:15:17 PM »
I've been around long enough to realize that there is no hard and fast rule to anything. To say that the Edward is a mango that all Hispanics dislike would be as ridiculous as saying that everybody ranks Edward as better than Lancetilla.

On the contrary, I'm trying to point out that the converse is true -- that not everyone thinks that Edward is great and that Lancetilla is mediocre. To reiterate my previous post -- Lancetilla was selected in Honduras for a reason, namely that it appeals to the Hispanic palate.

So, in conclusion just because Alex and his acquaintances think that Edward beats Lancetilla doesn't mean that the other 4 to 6 million folks in south florida agree.

I do know a Mexican who rates Cogshall as his favorite mango. I'm particularly fond of it when it doesn't have internal breakdown. Can't remember what my wife thinks of it. But the cogshall has less of a tart component that the Edward, so my guess is that it would appeal to the non-american palate. It's more of a 'sweet' mango.

Seeing as how you're not fluent in Spanish, my guess is that your pop was not the first immigrant to the US in your family line.

I guess what it boils down to is I disagree with this implied notion that Edward is a mango hispanics fundamentally won't like because of some ingrained flavor preference and that Lancetilla is. Haden is plenty popular with hispanics as well actually. Further, there are lots of different hispanics....from south America, Central America, Mexico, the Caribbean. I think its difficult to place them all under one umbrella for what mango flavor they all prefer.

Noel is really fond of Cogshall. Does Cogshall make the list of mangos hispanics are supposed to like?
« Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 10:29:52 PM by Cookie Monster »

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 22, 2013, 10:23:12 PM »
HAHAHAHA oops :-)

Wow, my thread got hijacked to iphones and a study of Latin cultural differences.  As for iphones, I have an android kyocera hydro (water resistant phone) that cost $99 without a contract.  I get unlimited voice, text, and data for $40 per month from boostmobile.  The android phones backs up your contacts in google email, that alone is worth the cost of the phone.

I grew up eating White Perry Mangos in Hawaii, but I am relatively new to planting my own mango trees.  I have been one of the ones to buy many of the new varieties.  My theory is that if I didn't like it, I could plant another tree (I had the space).  Now, as I'm looking at my yard, certain mango trees have lots of flowers and others look dormant.  As a fruit tree hobbiest, I want trees that are easy to grow (disease resistant) and produce lots of fruit with almost no work and taste good.  My understanding is that Mahachanok has a strong track record of meeting those three criteria.

Squam256

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 22, 2013, 10:41:39 PM »
I've been around long enough to realize that there is no hard and fast rule to anything. To say that the Edward is a mango that all Hispanics dislike would be as ridiculous as saying that everybody ranks Edward as better than Lancetilla.

On the contrary, I'm trying to point out that the converse is true -- that not everyone thinks that Edward is great and that Lancetilla is mediocre. To reiterate my previous post -- Lancetilla was selected in Honduras for a reason, namely that it appeals to the Hispanic palate.

So, in conclusion just because Alex and his acquaintances think that Edward beats Lancetilla doesn't mean that the other 4 to 6 million folks in south florida agree.

I do know a Mexican who rates Cogshall as his favorite mango. I'm particularly fond of it when it doesn't have internal breakdown. Can't remember what my wife thinks of it.

Alright Jeff, let's trace this to where this hispanic taste thing really started:

However, a person of Latin American descent (eg, my wife) would rate the Lancetilla near the top and Edward near the bottom.

This statement assumes that because someone is of Latin American descent, they would rate Lancetilla near the top and Edward near the bottom. That certainly sounds like a 'hard and fast rule' the way its stated.

I think Edward would beat Lancetilla in taste trials by just about any ethnic group, including hispanics. I'm even willing to test that hypothesis out (however un-scientific that would be). but that is neither here nor there.

The crux of this argument though is that the cultivars that are so called has beens have some major flaws that logically might make them 'has beens'. I consider Lancetilla an average flavored mango, and would bet that most people would regardless of their ethnicity should they get to compare it to other mangos. But even if you were to believe that Lancetilla appeals to a very large subset of people because of its flavor (I don't), it doesn't eliminate its other poor qualities (production and splitting).  You argued that not including Lancetilla in the selection of mangos at garden centers would appease people like me, but deny hispanics a mango that appeals to them. I say that is silly, because there are plenty of other mangos out there that will appeal to plenty of unique palates while not having the flaws Lancetilla has.

And that I believe is ultimately why Lancetilla flopped.

Squam256

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 22, 2013, 10:50:20 PM »
To reiterate my previous post -- Lancetilla was selected in Honduras for a reason, namely that it appeals to the Hispanic palate.

I believe it was selected in Honduras because it appealed to Wilson Popenoe's palate, and he happened to select it at the horticulture station in  Lancetilla,Honduras. I don't believe it was widely propagated (in central America or the US) until after the Campbells brought it here and started giving it attention. But maybe I'm mistaken on that. Is Lancetilla widely grown in Honduras? Because I've asked Hondurans about it before and none had ever heard of it.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 22, 2013, 10:55:09 PM »
What was the topic of this thread about again??

Oh, by the way, both Carrie and Lancetilla SUCK!!  So there...  ;) ;D :P
- Rob

Squam256

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 22, 2013, 10:57:18 PM »

Squam256

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 22, 2013, 11:02:52 PM »
Ok ok I've got it. We'll have a taste off among board hispanics and their friends to determine whether Edward or Lancetilla is preferred . I'll supply the mangos. Jeff picks the Hispanics to weed out the Squams.

//JUST KIDDING JEFF! 8) don't hate me forever

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 22, 2013, 11:06:16 PM »
Hey! You guys are both dissin on one of my wife's favorite mangoes :-)

Ironically, just this last weekend, I was talking to my wife about how I was going to plant an Edward, and she griped about how she didn't like the Edward and wanted me to plant a Lancetilla instead. So we had a little tussle about which mango tree was going to get planted out :-). She's already got one in the neighbor's yard...

Lancetilla SUCKS!!  So there...  ;) ;D :P

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 22, 2013, 11:07:47 PM »
HAHAHAHAH I honestly am considering bringing some mangoes to El Salvador for taste tests -- Edward v Okrung. Any bets on who wins?

Ok ok I've got it. We'll have a taste off among board hispanics and their friends to determine whether Edward or Lancetilla is preferred . I'll supply the mangos. Jeff picks the Hispanics to weed out the Squams.

//JUST KIDDING JEFF! 8) don't hate me forever

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 22, 2013, 11:09:44 PM »
I honestly don't know. I just figured that it was selected among the seedlings at popenoe's residence by the locals.

To reiterate my previous post -- Lancetilla was selected in Honduras for a reason, namely that it appeals to the Hispanic palate.

I believe it was selected in Honduras because it appealed to Wilson Popenoe's palate, and he happened to select it at the horticulture station in  Lancetilla,Honduras. I don't believe it was widely propagated (in central America or the US) until after the Campbells brought it here and started giving it attention. But maybe I'm mistaken on that. Is Lancetilla widely grown in Honduras? Because I've asked Hondurans about it before and none had ever heard of it.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 23, 2013, 12:18:40 AM »
Hey! You guys are both dissin on one of my wife's favorite mangoes :-)

Ironically, just this last weekend, I was talking to my wife about how I was going to plant an Edward, and she griped about how she didn't like the Edward and wanted me to plant a Lancetilla instead. So we had a little tussle about which mango tree was going to get planted out :-). She's already got one in the neighbor's yard...

Lancetilla SUCKS!!  So there...  ;) ;D :P
Did you get a new wife?   ;) ;D  What did you do with Elsie??  Her tastes were much better than that of someone who would say she liked a Lancetilla.  She must be confusing it with something else...
- Rob

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 23, 2013, 12:36:50 AM »
My wife is also Hispanic, and so far, her favorite mango that she has tried, was a Glenn.  and she tried it before I did, so there was no influence on my part.  of course she also chose me, so she has good taste  ;)
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 23, 2013, 02:36:09 AM »
@cookie monster
Also, North American fruits are often acidic. Think of apples, cranberries, pears, etc. Where the fruits of choice in Latin American countries are sweet with little to no acidity (eg, bananas, sapodillas, mamey sapote, etc). The sour fuits are never consumed fresh; they are mixed with copious amounts of sugar and made into beverages or sweets.

Our parents also cooked meals and sweets in accordance with cultural norms.

Northern fruits are variable. Apricots, pears and cherries can be pure sweetness. Apples can be 70% sweet but have a tart component. Best peaches (hard to find) are sweet but definitely have an acid component. Plums can be mostly sweet but are usually picked too unripe so have an acid taste

Not so much these days..... But the classic apple and cherry pies were made with tart apples and tart cherries. Sugar and other sweeteners added to work with that tartness. The original version of most northern fruits were tart the way a crab apple is tart. Sweet versions come from generations of breeding. My guess is the older tart varieties are stronger trees and more disease resistant. Citrus fruits are sweet today but the original ones were small and sour. Humans breed (select) fruits to be larger and sweeter

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 23, 2013, 11:37:14 AM »
Yah, I see where you got that. But no, the inclusion of 'all' Hispanics was definitely not the intended meaning. In sum -- based on my experience, I have noted that a lot of ethnic groups prefer fruit without acidity. That's not to say that they would reject Edward, but if given the choice between Edward and something sweeter (eg, your favorite -- the okrung), I'd be rather surprised if they picked the former.

To cut to the chase -- I don't think that Lancetilla flopped because of flavor or production issues. It flopped because of word of mouth within the fruit tree hoarder community. When 2 or 3 or 4 'fruit experts' say that Lancetilla sucks, everyone assumes that it's a fact and drops it from their list of desired cultivars -- which I think is a total shame.

If you take a minute to think about it, how many people actually have a Lancetilla tree planted in their backyard long enough to have received a crop to taste and observe production habits? I'd be surprised if even 5% of the members of this forum fall into that group. Truly, we have a case where everything is based on the opinions of a couple of 'experts'. The problem with this phenomenon is that this presupposes that 0) everybody has the same likes and dislikes, and 1) everybody has the same growing conditions. However, this is a giant fallacy, because south florida is as diverse in culture as it is in growing environments.

The same thing goes for Jean Ellen. How many people on this forum have actually tried the fruit? I know I haven't. But, the tree fell into demise just because 1 or 2 people on this forum said that it's not a good fruit. That's akin to saying that I don''t like red, therefore it's a bad color, and then sitting back and watching as the rest of the populous decides that they will no longer purchase anything red. It's herd mentality which leads to price bubbles and monoculture.

The one person I know whom I would consider being a mango 'connoisseur' and whose taste preferences generally include a wide audience of people would be Dr Richard Campbell, as he's traveled extensively and has a fairly strong understanding of cultural differences in taste. And, he's the very individual promoting the mangoes that eventually flop due to word of mouth.

Alright Jeff, let's trace this to where this hispanic taste thing really started:

However, a person of Latin American descent (eg, my wife) would rate the Lancetilla near the top and Edward near the bottom.

This statement assumes that because someone is of Latin American descent, they would rate Lancetilla near the top and Edward near the bottom. That certainly sounds like a 'hard and fast rule' the way its stated.

I think Edward would beat Lancetilla in taste trials by just about any ethnic group, including hispanics. I'm even willing to test that hypothesis out (however un-scientific that would be). but that is neither here nor there.

The crux of this argument though is that the cultivars that are so called has beens have some major flaws that logically might make them 'has beens'. I consider Lancetilla an average flavored mango, and would bet that most people would regardless of their ethnicity should they get to compare it to other mangos. But even if you were to believe that Lancetilla appeals to a very large subset of people because of its flavor (I don't), it doesn't eliminate its other poor qualities (production and splitting).  You argued that not including Lancetilla in the selection of mangos at garden centers would appease people like me, but deny hispanics a mango that appeals to them. I say that is silly, because there are plenty of other mangos out there that will appeal to plenty of unique palates while not having the flaws Lancetilla has.

And that I believe is ultimately why Lancetilla flopped.

Patrick

• Administrator
    • USA, Palm Beach, FL 33467, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 23, 2013, 11:44:30 AM »
You guys are the best.  I dont think I have checked the forum this much in months! Could either of you suggest the best cultivar for a 2nd Generation Irishmen like myself?

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 23, 2013, 11:52:00 AM »
Jeff, this is why I have not removed the lancetilla, I want to try them first, I may love them. I hope that the sulfur sprays help control the powdery mildew issue I have with it, otherwise its a nice looking tree, the biggest one I have in container. and hope it will flower this year.  I have only done 1 sulfur application , so I think it will do ok eventually,  it got that way last year then cleaned up pretty much on its own during the summer, all I used was Neem.   

William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #49 on: January 23, 2013, 11:57:15 AM »
You guys are the best.  I dont think I have checked the forum this much in months! Could either of you suggest the best cultivar for a 2nd Generation Irishmen like myself?

the new cross between Coconut Cream and Baileys marvel...

baileys creme marvel .
 ;D
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk