Author Topic: Jaboticabaholics Anonymous  (Read 390778 times)

marklee

• Chula Vista, California Zone 24 or 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Jaboticabaholics Anonymous
« Reply #1200 on: July 17, 2016, 01:03:26 PM »
Spent a bit of time at Leo Manuel's place pruning his Sabara Jaboticaba. It is in a shaded area, and I suggested if we "open it up" a bit, he would get a lot more fruit. The tree is one of the tallest I have seen in California, I suppose it is maybe 15 feet plus. Leo figured it is at least 20 years old.
Anyway, here are some before and after photos of the tree.

Great pic of Leo's BIG Jabo, very nice prune job Mark, so do you know how much fruit he get's? looks like it would be fruitful but I know Jack swords has a big tree (for California) and he hasn't been getting much fruit!
Adam, what would help big trees fruit / Sabara ?

Leo's tree has produced fruit, but it has been shaded and with it's size it should have been getting tons. It would fruit all the time, but the fruit were sparsely distributed because of the amount of shade and small branches,

nelesedulis

• I want to increase my collection of fruit trees!
    • Carangola, Minas Gerais Brazil
    • View Profile
« Reply #1201 on: July 20, 2016, 06:47:12 PM »
Plinia Oblongata, red pulp jabuticaba, very tasty, flavor similar to grumixama.

Facebook
Alexandre Neles
Seeking information and new techniques, friendships are always welcome!

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #1202 on: July 20, 2016, 07:25:06 PM »
Spent a bit of time at Leo Manuel's place pruning his Sabara Jaboticaba. It is in a shaded area, and I suggested if we "open it up" a bit, he would get a lot more fruit. The tree is one of the tallest I have seen in California, I suppose it is maybe 15 feet plus. Leo figured it is at least 20 years old.
Anyway, here are some before and after photos of the tree.

Great pic of Leo's BIG Jabo, very nice prune job Mark, so do you know how much fruit he get's? looks like it would be fruitful but I know Jack swords has a big tree (for California) and he hasn't been getting much fruit!
Adam, what would help big trees fruit / Sabara ?

Leo's tree has produced fruit, but it has been shaded and with it's size it should have been getting tons. It would fruit all the time, but the fruit were sparsely distributed because of the amount of shade and small branches,

Great job Mark! I stopped by Leos place yesterday and his tree has completely opened up. I suspect he will get much more fruit for his next fruiting cycle.

Simon

Caesar

• PR
    • View Profile
« Reply #1203 on: September 04, 2016, 03:22:45 AM »
Checking in on the designated Jabo thread. I was thinking recently on how some Coffee growers take the skins of the coffee beans (which would otherwise be composted) and use them to make tea. Which got me thinking: Could the same be done with Jaboticaba? Could we take skins from the different Jabo species (as well as other thick-skinned Myrtles), dry them and use them for tea? Would it have any benefits? Would it at least be palatable? They'd otherwise go to waste anyway, especially if the Jabos are being processed. Has anyone thought to try it?

Ataman

• I'm fruit lover. I try to grow every type of fruit
    • Hungary, Zone 6b
    • View Profile
« Reply #1204 on: September 04, 2016, 04:43:25 AM »
Checking in on the designated Jabo thread. I was thinking recently on how some Coffee growers take the skins of the coffee beans (which would otherwise be composted) and use them to make tea. Which got me thinking: Could the same be done with Jaboticaba? Could we take skins from the different Jabo species (as well as other thick-skinned Myrtles), dry them and use them for tea? Would it have any benefits? Would it at least be palatable? They'd otherwise go to waste anyway, especially if the Jabos are being processed. Has anyone thought to try it?
I've read jaboticaba peel has many health benefits. Some research lab made experiments with freeze-dried jaboticaba peel. Here are some articles:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23415177
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0963996912002888
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S175646461300265X

robinhood

• Australia,QLD, brisbane
    • View Profile
« Reply #1205 on: September 04, 2016, 07:38:04 AM »
Hi im robin, and im a jaboholic, ive been sneaking trees in behind the wifes back, i need moar, the fight is real, u cant stop me arghh,...

Mucbean

• USA, Florida, Lee County, Bonita Springs, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #1206 on: September 04, 2016, 10:18:23 AM »
I am looking to plant a few more trees along the canal that runs along the back of my lot.  Would the Jaboticaba do well there? Or is that not a good idea.

robinhood

• Australia,QLD, brisbane
    • View Profile
« Reply #1207 on: September 04, 2016, 07:47:38 PM »
My jab collection so far 😁,
Only grimal fruiting

Berto

• Southwest Florida
  • Ready to learn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1208 on: September 04, 2016, 09:15:46 PM »
I have used jabuticaba skin powder for a long time. Just dry/dehydrate the skins and grind them in a coffee grinder. I use the powder is shakes or sprinkled with my cereal.  The powder is loader with antioxidants!!!

polux

• Slovakia, Nitra, 6a
    • View Profile
« Reply #1209 on: September 06, 2016, 06:02:00 PM »
Plinia Oblongata, red pulp jabuticaba, very tasty, flavor similar to grumixama.

Very nice plants! Do you have any seeds or you know about source of seeds from this? I Try for a long time to add M. oblongata to my collection and without success

OCchris1

• Old Towne Orange, CA 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #1210 on: September 07, 2016, 01:17:04 AM »
I'm curious to see if anyone knows if it is possible that a Sabara will fruit the whole year? My tree has been fruiting non-stop since March. It appears that it is starting it's 3rd cycle right now which should take me to November or so. Thanks, Chris
-Chris

TnTrobbie

• runs with pruners
  • ZonePusher has a spot for that.
    • 10b + 9b FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #1211 on: September 18, 2016, 04:28:34 PM »
My Red jabo has begun flowering for the first time :). Bought it as a small 3 gal early this year (Feb). It's barely 3 ft tall in a 15gal pot- but bushy and healthy. Doing well in indirect sunlight.

That was a fluke :D. But this time my Red Jabo did indeed flower and I tasted my first jaboticaba ever.  Beautiful, deep burgundy red coloration. On first bite, juicy. It reminded me of Lemon Drop mangosteen (LDM) but much sweeter and really no tart. Lovely white semi transparent jelly like pulp with 2-3 seeds. I was expecting a more grape like flavor but LDM came to mind first. Two more flowers appeared and all thus far are from the secondary branches that are like 1/4 inch diameter. Gonna get more of these babies. It's in a 15 gal pot and I've been keeping the soil moist daily in its part shade location.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2016, 04:30:56 PM by TnTrobbie »
The Earth laughs in flowers. And bear gifts through fruits.
No where to plant it ...but at least I got it. ;)
F*ck squirrels and deers

arvind

• Malaysia
    • View Profile
« Reply #1212 on: October 01, 2016, 07:29:14 AM »
http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=21298.0

Hi there can anyone here ID the jabo in the photos from Malaysia

ming_hsiao2005

• Taiwan
    • View Profile
    • http://blog.xuite.net/ming_hsiao2005/blog
« Reply #1213 on: October 05, 2016, 04:41:47 AM »
Myrciaria sp. escarlate

huertasurbanas

• Junín, Argentina, zone 9b/9a
    • View Profile
    • huertasurbanas
« Reply #1214 on: October 05, 2016, 10:14:53 AM »
Hi im robin, and im a jaboholic, ive been sneaking trees in behind the wifes back, i need moar, the fight is real, u cant stop me arghh,...

hey, listen, you can put a poted jabo anywhere in the garden, but cut the bottom of the pot so the roots will go to the soil of the garden... and your wife will think it's not planted on the ground :)
« Last Edit: October 05, 2016, 10:16:30 AM by huertasurbanas »
ONLINE SHOP:

https://www.huertasurbanas.com/shop

30% Discount Coupon: FIRST

huertasurbanas

• Junín, Argentina, zone 9b/9a
    • View Profile
    • huertasurbanas
« Reply #1215 on: October 05, 2016, 10:16:09 AM »
Myrciaria sp. escarlate

I like the fact that you didnt removed the last pot, I am starting to do this with many of my trees, so roots go deeper...
ONLINE SHOP:

https://www.huertasurbanas.com/shop

30% Discount Coupon: FIRST

arvind

• Malaysia
    • View Profile
« Reply #1216 on: October 05, 2016, 10:21:44 PM »
Myrciaria sp. escarlate

Beautiful and rare variety.I hear this variety is an early bearing just like the red jabo

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #1217 on: October 13, 2016, 11:17:17 AM »
I can finally join the club! My Red Jab had a second set of flowers, first set didn't set fruit, and one fruit is finally ripe. There are also many other small fruit forming. I have several varieties of grafted Jabs but this is the first one to fruit.

Simon

Cassio

• Brasil, São Paulo, Zone 11b, Köppen: Cfa/Cwa
    • View Profile
    • Frutas em Vasos
« Reply #1218 on: October 24, 2016, 02:08:45 PM »

hey, listen, you can put a poted jabo anywhere in the garden, but cut the bottom of the pot so the roots will go to the soil of the garden... and your wife will think it's not planted on the ground :)

An advise: When removing the pot, look at the pivotal root. If it already touched the pot wall, cut her at this exact place. Cutting it there, will prevent the root to grow inverted, what could make the seedling to die. Here in Brasil it´s known as "four years´ desease" for potted jaboticabas, cause it is the medium age when it occurs cause the seedling grow. Don´t worry about cutting the pivotal root. it will grow again later, in the right position. ;)
« Last Edit: October 24, 2016, 02:10:34 PM by Cassio »

Rannman

• Dragonfruit collector
    • Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #1219 on: November 10, 2016, 04:54:45 AM »
I recently got my hands on a  Jabo in a large pot and need some advice on nutrient deficiency. Don't have a pic at the moment but it's been in the ground for about 8 weeks. Two feet tall, and threw new shoots not long after planting, but has not moved since. Leaves are pale green tending toward yellow at the edges. Is there anything that Jaboticaba crave or need to flourish? Soil is fairly heavy loamy clay that everything else seems to thrive in, even dragonfruit. Any tips on how to keep it going. Thanks in advance.

Garcinus

• Titusville , Florida Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #1220 on: November 10, 2016, 06:50:26 AM »
My red hybrid !

John Travis

• Winter Park FL 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #1221 on: November 10, 2016, 12:01:29 PM »
My red hybrid !

It may just be a bit stunted after the move. You can probably just give it some time to see if it bounces back. They are slow growers

If you are looking for things you can try, I have had success with slightly acidic compost(Coffee grounds, citrus peel, banana peel isn't acidic but I believe has trace potassium. Chelated Iron is also an option. I use it on my more sensitive varieties(Aureana, Scarlet).

John

arvind

• Malaysia
    • View Profile
« Reply #1222 on: November 24, 2016, 05:19:23 AM »
Here's my 45 day old red jabo seedling and more than 13cm tall.Can anyone tell me whether the plant looks healthy or not or have signs of deficiencies?

fisherking73

• Hollywood (Broward county), Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #1223 on: January 25, 2017, 02:29:46 PM »
Finally first fruiting of my red jabo!! not many but oh so good. Have eaten about half dozen last 2 days, and about another dozen on it growing and more blooms emerging. Definetly getting another red or another variety for the front yard.

cbss_daviefl

• USA, Southwest Ranches,FL 33331, 10B
    • View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
« Reply #1224 on: January 25, 2017, 06:51:40 PM »
Congrats on your fruit home grown red!

I am happy to report I ate my first home grown sabara yesterday.  The tree only produced a single fruit.  I planted the tree 4 years ago from a 7 gallon.
Brandon

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk