Author Topic: Jaboticabaholics Anonymous  (Read 390512 times)

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Jaboticabaholics Anonymous
« Reply #1250 on: April 12, 2017, 11:03:41 AM »
Nice Simon, hope that little fruit holds on your grimal it nice to see some fruit in Ca. growers! ;) 8)

Bush2Beach

• Santa Cruz, California Sunset Zone 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #1251 on: April 12, 2017, 11:47:14 AM »
It's a beautiful time of year to see the Jaboticaba's first flush of new growth!
I'm potting up some 5 gallon Sabara, Grimal, and Red's to 15 Gallons.
i am finally ready to try grafting some mature fruiting scion onto Sabara , if anyone has scion to cut for trade please let me know.

Robert , I left my 25 Gallon Sabara that is root bound sit in a water tray most of the winter, it partially defoliated and only shook it off due to being so root bound and drying out a little quicker. I think the water trays are suitable for May - October Jabo growing in CA.
The Guabiju you gave me is still growing steady, thank you!

« Last Edit: April 12, 2017, 02:46:44 PM by Bush2Beach »

TnTrobbie

• runs with pruners
  • ZonePusher has a spot for that.
    • 10b + 9b FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #1252 on: April 12, 2017, 04:13:15 PM »
Sabara first time flowering and held fruit.
Base trunk diameter could be 2.5-3 inches across.

The Earth laughs in flowers. And bear gifts through fruits.
No where to plant it ...but at least I got it. ;)
F*ck squirrels and deers

xshen

• Glendora &amp El Monte, 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #1253 on: April 12, 2017, 05:55:57 PM »
Very nice job on your sabara guys. I bought a 15gal tree that had been in ground for 3 years now. I am thinking the trunk must be at lease 3 inches in diameter but it has not flowered yet. Its a healthy and beautiful looking sabara but no fruits. I am going to girdle it.

xshen

• View Profile
« Reply #1254 on: April 13, 2017, 08:04:50 PM »
Here is my in ground sabara. Trunk is near 3 inches I think. No flowers yet. It was just girdled so we shall see. If you look close enough, you'll notice two branches that have larger leaves. Those are coronata grafts. I was very tempted to top work this tree into grimal but decided to keep it as is.

Coronata var restinga

PIN's Coronata Crown 2

PIN's Coronata Crown 3

arvind

• Malaysia
    • View Profile
« Reply #1255 on: April 13, 2017, 09:24:40 PM »
Here is my in ground sabara. Trunk is near 3 inches I think. No flowers yet. It was just girdled so we shall see. If you look close enough, you'll notice two branches that have larger leaves. Those are coronata grafts. I was very tempted to top work this tree into grimal but decided to keep it as is.

Coronata var restinga

PIN's Coronata Crown 2

PIN's Coronata Crown 3

Beautiful trees you got there.How old is your coronata var restinga?

TnTrobbie

• runs with pruners
  • ZonePusher has a spot for that.
    • 10b + 9b FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #1256 on: April 13, 2017, 09:40:03 PM »
Nice big Sabara xshen. Mines, that's flowering, is at best 5' 5" tall in a 20gal pot :D and sad looking to booth. Water water water. Even though it gets irrigation every other day, I give it about a gallon rain water to keep the soil moist. It, and my reds, were also pruned last year as per flyfox's pruning video as a guide.
The Earth laughs in flowers. And bear gifts through fruits.
No where to plant it ...but at least I got it. ;)
F*ck squirrels and deers

xshen

• View Profile
« Reply #1257 on: April 14, 2017, 02:35:23 PM »
Thanks arvind and TnTrobbie. The coronata var restinga is about 3 years old. It was a foot tall when I first got it. I had it for about 2 years. It went in ground earlier this year. It defoliated completely after taking it out of the greenhouse but the leaves came back.

I installed drip irrigation and the jabos will be getting plenty of water now.

ras954

• Lauderdale FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #1258 on: April 14, 2017, 08:32:26 PM »
My Sabra is about 5 years old and looks to be 2.5" in diameter at the base.  I had some limited fruit last year.  Good flower set in the past couple weeks so hoping to get some additional fruit this year.

xshen

• View Profile
« Reply #1259 on: April 14, 2017, 09:01:40 PM »
My Sabra is about 5 years old and looks to be 2.5" in diameter at the base.  I had some limited fruit last year.  Good flower set in the past couple weeks so hoping to get some additional fruit this year.

It has a nice looking exposed burl. Those exposed roots should fruit as well.

ScottR

• View Profile
« Reply #1260 on: April 15, 2017, 11:23:47 AM »
Nice Jabo collection Jonah, glad to hear Guabiju is growing well for you. Xshen, wow nice in ground jabo's that's my hope to put all the rest of my jabo's in ground this year. 8)

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #1261 on: May 05, 2017, 11:41:50 AM »
Here's an update of my Grimal grafted onto Sabara rootstock. The thickness of the trunk is about the same as a sharpie marker. The single fruit that is holding is starting to change color and I'm posting this picture before an animal eats it. Grafting sure seems to speed up fruiting.

Simon

xshen

• View Profile
« Reply #1262 on: May 05, 2017, 11:08:49 PM »
Very nice Simon. I am surprised the tree didn't abort the fruit. They can get pretty big. Very good flavor but the skin is a bit thick.

I hand pollinated these grimals with red jabo pollen. Maybe I get lucky with a new hybrid that gets as big as grimals but with thin skin that fruits in 3-5 yrs.

Grimals vs. Sabaras

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #1263 on: May 06, 2017, 11:34:05 AM »
Nice Xue! Do you have Otto Anderson? I hear it's supposed to be a really good variety. I want to graft it onto a couple of my trees. I love how Jabs can have multiple crops.

Simon

xshen

• View Profile
« Reply #1264 on: May 07, 2017, 12:34:42 AM »
Nice Xue! Do you have Otto Anderson? I hear it's supposed to be a really good variety. I want to graft it onto a couple of my trees. I love how Jabs can have multiple crops.

Simon

I got a small tree of Otto Anderson grafted almost 2 years ago. I got scions from Adam but not sure if he is still selling scions of this tree.

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #1265 on: May 07, 2017, 12:38:49 AM »
I'm glad you've got it growing Xue, let us know how it tastes when it Fruits for you. There's so many different varieties of Jabs out there, it's hard to keep up.

Simon

huertasurbanas

• Junín, Argentina, zone 9b/9a
    • View Profile
    • huertasurbanas
« Reply #1266 on: May 13, 2017, 08:33:21 AM »
ONLINE SHOP:

https://www.huertasurbanas.com/shop

30% Discount Coupon: FIRST

ScottR

• View Profile
« Reply #1267 on: May 13, 2017, 11:10:39 AM »
Nice Xshen, hope you get some kind of hybrid jabo out of your cross pollination work ;) 8)

Monkeyfingers

• USA, Jacksonville, FL, 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #1268 on: May 13, 2017, 04:47:21 PM »
Hello! I have a little grimal and the leaves kinda look sickly yellow, with some brownish spots and some are a little deformed looking.

Compared to my red jabo and sabara which both have pretty nice deep green color:

I use rain water for all three of my jabos. Soil for them is gro mix with some pine bark chips and some chicken grit and perlite mixed in. I've heard chelated iron can help. Any tips and advice is welcome, I am still pretty new to tropical fruits and hoping to keep it alive.

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #1269 on: May 14, 2017, 12:42:26 AM »
Definitely at least partially due to lack of Iron because I can see the veins are still a bit green with yellow in between the veins and it appears both young and older leaves are affected. You may need a bit of Magnesium as well. I would try a foliar with something like Southern Ag Citrus nutritional spray which you can pick up at Home Depot.

Your pot may be slightly too large for the plant so you are washing away a lot of the nutrients from the soil. It's better to gradually step up the pot but it's probably best to leave it in its current container because it's probably already somewhat filled the pot.

Simon

tropical66

• Seri Kembangan, Selangor, Malaysia
    • View Profile
« Reply #1270 on: July 03, 2017, 08:08:48 AM »
Hi!  I'm interested in buying 2 or 3 Jaboicabas - my first ones.  What would you recommend for 1. ease of fruiting in containers and 2. the best but most different flavors.  Thanks.

Also, where's the best place to read on how to grow and fruit these plants?

You can try growing the  red jabo ,the grimal or coronata var restinga.The red jabo and coronata restinga are early bearing which start fruiting in three years.The red jabo like what i read can be easily grown in container and seems to be fast growing and i have one seedling nearly 4 months.The coronata restinga and grimal can handle tap water

Arvind, dont worry about the tap water here. I water my red hybrid jaboticaba twice a day only with tap water.
There is nothing more beautiful than PEACE - Unite All Mankind.

arvind

• Malaysia
    • View Profile
« Reply #1271 on: July 03, 2017, 09:54:25 PM »
Hi!  I'm interested in buying 2 or 3 Jaboicabas - my first ones.  What would you recommend for 1. ease of fruiting in containers and 2. the best but most different flavors.  Thanks.

You can try growing the  red jabo ,the grimal or coronata var restinga.The red jabo and coronata restinga are early bearing which start fruiting in three years.The red jabo like what i read can be easily grown in container and seems to be fast growing and i have one seedling nearly 4 months.The coronata restinga and grimal can handle tap water

Arvind, dont worry about the tap water here. I water my red hybrid jaboticaba twice a day only with tap water.

Wow never though of that.Thanks for the info.No wonder lots of companies selling devices that make water alkaline here and they say its good for our health

tropical66

• Seri Kembangan, Selangor, Malaysia
    • View Profile
« Reply #1272 on: July 03, 2017, 10:21:20 PM »

Wow never though of that.Thanks for the info.No wonder lots of companies selling devices that make water alkaline here and they say its good for our health

By my experience Jaboticaba likes light acidic soil and rich with iron. I use normal tap water without r.o. filter to water my plant. The alkaline water just good for us. I use to mix humus and laterite soil that rich with iron as a potting soil.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2017, 08:47:28 AM by tropical66 »
There is nothing more beautiful than PEACE - Unite All Mankind.

OCchris1

• Old Towne Orange, CA 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #1273 on: July 04, 2017, 01:45:43 AM »
I agree with Tropical66. Thats been my approach as well. Chris
-Chris

huertasurbanas

• Junín, Argentina, zone 9b/9a
    • View Profile
    • huertasurbanas
« Reply #1274 on: August 14, 2017, 10:41:03 AM »
Plinia Oblongata, red pulp jabuticaba, very tasty, flavor similar to grumixama.

Hi, any of you think that this plant of mine could be m. oblongata?

http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=25078.msg294115#msg294115

thanks in advance
ONLINE SHOP:

https://www.huertasurbanas.com/shop

30% Discount Coupon: FIRST

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk