Author Topic: First Fruiting and Tasting of Maprang (Bouea macrophylla)  (Read 24559 times)

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
Re: First Fruiting and Tasting of Maprang (Bouea macrophylla)
« Reply #50 on: May 06, 2017, 04:34:42 AM »
Guys,

Are these normally propagated from seed and if so, are they true from seed?

Are they similar to ungrafted mango in terms of years to reach bearing age (~ 7?)

Regards,
Sam
Can be propagated from seed, air layer, or grafting. They are slower growing and fruiting than mangoes. Time will depend on where you live?
Oscar

guadua

• USA, Florida, Loxahatchee 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 06, 2017, 10:58:31 PM »
Hi Oscar,

I have two 3 foot tall Bouea trees I want to plant in the ground soon. I'm running out of room in our yard, but want them to have enough space as to not be too crowded. What would be a good spacing distance? Your trees look fairly small and bushy.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #52 on: May 07, 2017, 01:56:51 AM »
Hi Oscar,

I have two 3 foot tall Bouea trees I want to plant in the ground soon. I'm running out of room in our yard, but want them to have enough space as to not be too crowded. What would be a good spacing distance? Your trees look fairly small and bushy.
They stay small and bushy for long time, but eventually get like a mango sized tree. Seedling trees get larger, just like seedling mango vs. grafted mango. The ones in the photo are grafted trees. I would use minimum 25 ft, spacing, and 30 ft. if you have the room. If you prune them  veryregularly you could get by with 20 ft. or even 15 ft. spacing.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2017, 01:58:54 AM by fruitlovers »
Oscar

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 07, 2017, 02:22:38 AM »
I am still confused a bit on the two varieties, which of the two, do you think has the most appeal to the general public in taste?
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #54 on: May 07, 2017, 07:05:17 AM »
I am still confused a bit on the two varieties, which of the two, do you think has the most appeal to the general public in taste?
Will let you know shortly. The Mayong Chid is a bit later in production, so haven't had enough of those yet to compare fairly yet with the Kai.
Oscar

guadua

• USA, Florida, Loxahatchee 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 07, 2017, 10:53:02 AM »
Thanks for the info. I'll have to rethink my planting area now. Unfortunately mine are all seedling trees. I had ordered grafted trees from Thailand that took too long to get here and arrived covered in mold and deceased. I was planning to keep the seedling trees heavily pruned back. I have acquired a lot of seeds from Thailand lately and they all seem to be labeled a different variety. Not sure how different they are or if its just like mango names. Hopefully they'll taste okay....

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #56 on: May 13, 2017, 10:12:44 PM »
OK, i've eaten many dozens of fruits of both Kai and Mayong Chid maprangs. Both are very tasty, but i like the Kai a bit more. The Kais are sweeter, bigger, and about 2 weeks earlier. Some people have commented they like Mayong Chid better because it has a better sweet/acid balance. But i find the Kai has enough of a tart twist that it's also very full flavored.
Both are really excellent fruits, and i'm really getting much more fond of them the more i eat of them. They're kind of habit forming. And they seem to fulfill a stone fruit craving that most other tropical fruits cannot do. I've been cutting some up also to put in cereal. They cut up very easily. Don't make the messy sticky mess that mangoes do when you cut them. And there is a very good pulp to seed ratio. I'm guessing they would be excellent dried, but have not tried that yet.
The 2 types of fruits look very similar, except that the Kai is a bit larger and more dark orange. I will try to post a photo of both together for comparison later.
Oscar

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #57 on: May 18, 2017, 04:12:34 AM »
Here is a photo of Kai maprang next to Mayong chid maprang:

Both trees were very productive. The Mayong Chid was more productive. I just picked in one day about 50 pounds of fruits off that one Mayong Chid tree. The tree is about 9 feet tall.

Oscar

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 18, 2017, 09:57:34 PM »
Can be propagated from seed, air layer, or grafting. They are slower growing and fruiting than mangoes. Time will depend on where you live?

I believe you mentioned that they are slow at first, and then after they get a certain size, grow normally.   this reminded me of Mangosteen, it grows this long tap root, with little of the finer lateral roots.  ( securing its water source )  I did some looking around seems maprang also has this tap root that it concentrates on.   

I bet that giving this tree regular foliar feeding when young, will get it to mature much sooner.  like with Garcinia.
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #59 on: May 18, 2017, 10:08:34 PM »

I believe you mentioned that they are slow at first, and then after they get a certain size, grow normally.   this reminded me of Mangosteen, it grows this long tap root, with little of the finer lateral roots.  ( securing its water source )  I did some looking around seems maprang also has this tap root that it concentrates on.   

I bet that giving this tree regular foliar feeding when young, will get it to mature much sooner.  like with Garcinia.
Yes that's right, on both things.
Oscar

Vernmented

• Starry Nursery/Plant Hoarder/Zone Pusher/Biochar Enthusiast
    • USA, Florida, Sarasota, 9B/10A
    • View Profile
    • Starry Nursery Instagram
« Reply #60 on: May 18, 2017, 10:28:48 PM »
I haven't noticed an aggressive root system on these. They seem very weak to me. A good comparison from my experience would be Mango = Jackfruit/ Maprang = Cempedak. I grow everything in root pruning containers. I will take some pics when step up some Maprang from their propagation pots.
-Josh

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 19, 2017, 04:33:12 AM »
It seems that Kai must be a type of wan or sweet and mayon chid is a sour to sweet and the general name rather than a specific type.

savemejebus

• Coral Springs, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 19, 2017, 10:57:58 AM »
is there any source to get a maprang tree locally (south florida)? and more importantly, is it worth growing here?

KarenRei

• Arctic Member
    • Reykjavík, Iceland
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 07, 2018, 04:17:15 PM »
Interesting... in investigating the sun-shade balance of this tree, I'm finding some pictures of it growing, and even laden with fruit, in much higher shade than I'd think possible.  E.x.:

Does this match people's experience, that Maprang can still thrive in part shade?

Also, I'm still hunting for info as to whether it's mono- or dioecious.  The info that everyone seems to leave out of plant descriptions  :Þ
« Last Edit: February 07, 2018, 05:23:49 PM by KarenRei »
Já, ég er að rækta suðrænar plöntur á Íslandi. Nei, ég er ekki klikkuð. Jæja, kannski...

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #64 on: February 07, 2018, 05:31:52 PM »
It's going to grow in partial shade, but the side facing the shade will not have fruits on it. It is mono, only one needed for cross pollination.
Oscar

KarenRei

• Arctic Member
    • Reykjavík, Iceland
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 07, 2018, 05:41:38 PM »
It's going to grow in partial shade, but the side facing the shade will not have fruits on it. It is mono, only one needed for cross pollination.

Excellent, thanks for the info.
Já, ég er að rækta suðrænar plöntur á Íslandi. Nei, ég er ekki klikkuð. Jæja, kannski...

j-grow

• Merritt Island
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 07, 2018, 06:23:18 PM »
I'm still mad I killed the one I had!!  Is there any source in fl to buy a couple trees?

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #67 on: February 07, 2018, 07:10:42 PM »
I'm still mad I killed the one I had!!  Is there any source in fl to buy a couple trees?
Try Excalibur. They had it in the past.
Oscar

marklee

• Chula Vista, California Zone 24 or 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 07, 2018, 08:22:22 PM »
Plantogram had them about a month ago.

j-grow

• Merritt Island
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 07, 2018, 08:34:42 PM »
Great thank you

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk