Author Topic: Wanted: feijoa named varieties  (Read 2105 times)

Droshi

• Raleigh NC - USDA Zone 7b
    • View Profile
Wanted: feijoa named varieties
« on: August 13, 2013, 12:57:43 AM »
Looking for any size plants for named (Coolidge, Robert, etc) feijoa bushes, anyone have any sources that will ship? I've heard air layering them is pretty easy, anyone have any they'd be willing to put on for me? :)
« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 01:09:02 AM by Droshi »

Illia

• Washington, USA 8b
    • View Profile
Re: Wanted: feijoa named varieties
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2013, 02:29:29 AM »
Rolling River. Raintree, and OneGreenWorld nurseries sell named variety plants. Raintree is on and off though and often doesn't have them, Rolling River has a wide selection but is often sold out. OneGreenWorld is an excellent choice and where I got my Coolidge and Mammoth. Mine are still on the young side but perhaps next year I'll have cuttings.
Growing tropical edibles in a non-tropical place. Always hungry to add more to my collection too!

Droshi

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2013, 12:58:51 PM »
Rolling River. Raintree, and OneGreenWorld nurseries sell named variety plants. Raintree is on and off though and often doesn't have them, Rolling River has a wide selection but is often sold out. OneGreenWorld is an excellent choice and where I got my Coolidge and Mammoth. Mine are still on the young side but perhaps next year I'll have cuttings.

Thanks for the suggestions. I've seen OGW before, but very hesitant to order from them as they get pretty bad reviews these days, don't list sizes of their plants, and if they end up being small ~$30 seems like a lot for a small cutting. Other places look fine, but as you mentioned most are out of stock and don't list size either.

Also most of the places don't seem to mention when they'll ship, though raintree does mention Spring shipping.

How was the size for your plants from OGW and how was your experience overall?

PltdWorld

• San Diego, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2013, 10:51:44 PM »
Droshi, did you find what you're looking for?  I sent you a PM... can ship Nazemetz and Coolidge your way.

Illia

• Washington, USA 8b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2013, 12:44:22 AM »
My OGW Pineapple Guavas were on the small side, but they've been growing much more vigorously than I expected in just this year and my Mammoth already tried giving me about 10 or so flowers. (whose petals by the way are amazing and delicious!) I've never had troubles with OGW but I will admit that some of their plants are smaller than other nurseries offer, and some are over-priced, however, much of their stuff is cultivars you won't find anywhere else.

Most nurseries for non-tropicals like the Pineapple Guava begin taking orders for spring shipment in the winter, and stop around June-July. They usually get sold out of their more rare and unusual stuff by May, sometimes earlier. I always make sure to order my stuff in January or February.
Growing tropical edibles in a non-tropical place. Always hungry to add more to my collection too!

Droshi

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2013, 03:15:59 PM »
Droshi, did you find what you're looking for?  I sent you a PM... can ship Nazemetz and Coolidge your way.

Yeah, I responded and was waiting you. I'll send another PM. Thanks for checking in!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk