Author Topic: How far from the ocean for salt sensitive fruit trees?  (Read 2391 times)

RPGreg

• Siargao, Philippines
    • View Profile
How far from the ocean for salt sensitive fruit trees?
« on: September 16, 2013, 06:55:58 PM »
I have a property about 5 kilometers from the ocean.

I am on the southerly facing backside of the hill and the ocean is to the north.

Prevailing winds only come from the north during the monsoon season when everything is drenched with rain.

Most internet searches only list which plants are salt tolerant or not.

Can anyone give me a general idea of how far inland salt sensitive trees need to be if they are partially protected by hills, etc?

Thanks

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
Re: How far from the ocean for salt sensitive fruit trees?
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2013, 06:58:35 PM »
I have a property about 5 kilometers from the ocean.

I am on the southerly facing backside of the hill and the ocean is to the north.

Prevailing winds only come from the north during the monsoon season when everything is drenched with rain.

Most internet searches only list which plants are salt tolerant or not.

Can anyone give me a general idea of how far inland salt sensitive trees need to be if they are partially protected by hills, etc?

Thanks

It's not just the distance that is important but also the amount of salt spray that the plants get? If there is some kind of very effective windbreak they could get very little spray even when close to the ocean.
Oscar

RPGreg

• Siargao, Philippines
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2013, 07:31:03 PM »
The entire property is a gently sloping hill with larger hills on all sides. There is only one spot at the top of the hill with any kind of direct ocean breeze.

The majority of the year we get cool breezes coming from inland.

Down in the lower areas it is well protected.

I will plant the salt tolerant trees higher and keep the less tolerant trees lower and be sure they are doing well before planting.

Thanks
Greg

ofdsurfer

• Melbourne Beach FL 32951 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2013, 07:38:12 PM »
I'm about 200ft from the ocean and have planted seagrape and sapodilla windbreaks to lessen the effect of salt spray.  Our prevailing winds are onshore every afternoon and lychees are the only tree that I have really struggled with because of the salt spray.  If your 5km back from the ocean I would think that you would have very little problems with a wind break.  It seems every 100ft back makes a big difference.

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2013, 09:01:10 PM »
I'm about a half-mile from the ocean, and there are no hills around here.  I have no problems and no salt spray that I know of, even with almost daily breezes from the ocean.  My lychees are fine.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2013, 09:03:21 PM by johnb51 »
John

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2018, 08:40:20 PM »
No where in Bermuda is more than a mile from the ocean.  We had a winter storm that lasted several days, 5 days in a row peak winds got above 50.  At least hurricanes pass within a day or less.  Significant leaf burn on mangoes, breadfruit, sapotes.  However black sapote appears unfazed.

With so much repetition of being within "2 miles from the ocean" being great for mangoes, it makes me wonder if these areas has less salt spray or their prevailing winds move offshore..anyone attempt to desalt trees from ongoing winter storms?

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2018, 05:36:17 AM »
Rather than guessing about suitability just survey the proposed area for already present trees and observe their condition and/or success.

Coach62

• Naples, FL Zone 10a
    • View Profile
    • Naples Home Inspections
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2018, 06:35:32 AM »
Rather than guessing about suitability just survey the proposed area for already present trees and observe their condition and/or success.
That's what I was thinking. There has to be a test to determine how much salt is in the soil.
www.ableinspector.com

Stop New Yorking my Florida!

Bruce

Frog Valley Farm

• Messages have been disabled here
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2018, 06:55:46 AM »
🗯
« Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 05:09:08 PM by Frog Valley Farm »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk