Author Topic: Newest members of the mango family  (Read 19088 times)

Tropicaliste

• Washington D.C. Area, US 7a
    • View Profile
Re: Newest members of the mango family
« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2014, 11:34:05 PM »
Brad: It's nice to know I'm not the only one with that problem.  Eating mangoes is an embarrasing situation for me, because of this I eat mangoes infrequently and in a weird way(cut into small pieces and bypass my lips), lol I sound silly even typing it.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2014, 12:52:47 AM »
I am sensitive to the leaves and skin and sap of mangos.   It results in contact dermatitis.   

Does anyone know if kasturi would present the same issues?

Brad

Only one way to find out for sure in your case.
Oscar

dongeorgio

• If you have any mango that I don't...CONTACT ME!
    • zone 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2014, 08:03:26 AM »

I am sensitive to the leaves and skin and sap of mangos.   It results in contact dermatitis.   

Brad

Only one way to find out for sure in your case.

Gentlemen,

My heart goes out to you.  That sounds like pure torture to have mangos within reach but not be able to eat them.  My Kasturie is a few years away from fruiting but I promise the first fruit off of my tree will go to you to see if you can at least eat that.  What kind of world do we live in where people like this have to live their life without mangos.  There should be some sort of foundation raising money for a cure or at least promoting awareness for this tragedy! 
George

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2014, 09:38:01 AM »

Brad

You would more than likely have a reaction to the sap of any plant in the Anacardiaceae family, of which Kasturi is a member.

puglvr1

• USA, Central, FL xxxxx, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2014, 09:50:48 AM »
I feel SO bad for you guys that have allergic reactions to Mango, OMG!! I would be devastated  :'(

MY BIL is allergic only to the skin...as long as he wears gloves when handling/peeling he can eat all the fruits he wants, as long as he doesn't touch the skin or sap. I guess if that was to happen that would be better than not being able to eat the fruits at all...

Sorry for your bad luck  :(

Patrick

• Administrator
    • USA, Palm Beach, FL 33467, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 11, 2014, 09:52:31 AM »
It is possible to one day become allergic to mango!

TREESNMORE

• USA Palm City FL Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 11, 2014, 10:20:58 AM »
Yes.  My wife can't touch the sap but can eat the fruit. Have a friend who could pick the fruit years ago  now he can't get the sap on him.
Mike

Tropicaliste

• Washington D.C. Area, US 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 11, 2014, 04:08:22 PM »
I don't recall an allergy to the Mango until around age 14, so maybe it can develop at different stages in life. To me it occurs not just from Mango, but from Eggplants and Pineapple too.  I actually made tempura eggplant last week, forgetting this, and when my tongue started tingling it was too late.  Sure enough, my lips broke out in a rash.  Allergies or no allergies, I'm going to grow some Mango when I get the chance ... I don't wanna' be left out of the mango growers club lol :)

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 22, 2014, 09:32:41 PM »
Harry,  I was looking over the Mangifera casturi threads in the forum, and wonder if your tree has produced any flowers yet and how is this tree doing,  also any additional input regarding this species.

Noris Ledesma was visiting the island, and she brought over some bud wood, for M.Casturi  with the hopes they are able to breed a new hybrid here someday. that will tolerate heavy rains, and soils with high salt content.
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #34 on: June 23, 2014, 04:55:07 AM »

Yes, don't feel sorry for others only, because you could be next! Mango allergy can happen to anyone at any time of your life. I know cause it happened to me. I had it real bad. At one point couldn't even walk under mango trees without breaking out in poison oak type blisters. Somehow i also overcame the mango allergy after some years. According to allergy doctor i talked to getting over the allergy is quite rare though.
Oscar

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 23, 2014, 06:40:56 AM »

Yes, don't feel sorry for others only, because you could be next! Mango allergy can happen to anyone at any time of your life. I know cause it happened to me. I had it real bad. At one point couldn't even walk under mango trees without breaking out in poison oak type blisters. Somehow i also overcame the mango allergy after some years. According to allergy doctor i talked to getting over the allergy is quite rare though.

As a kid i was allergic for chestnut tree's. If i climbed in them i got serious rashes and blisters who were very ichy. I even forgot about that but i think i 'm over it now. So you're not the only one oscar.

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #36 on: June 23, 2014, 10:55:02 AM »
Harry,  I was looking over the Mangifera casturi threads in the forum, and wonder if your tree has produced any flowers yet and how is this tree doing,  also any additional input regarding this species.

With apologies to Don Georgio for thread derailment, my Kasturi is growing nicely, but it has not produced any flowers as of yet.  The leaves look pretty mango like....so I would expect it to be mango like in allergic reaction causing.
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #37 on: June 26, 2014, 03:52:51 AM »

Noris Ledesma was visiting the island, and she brought over some bud wood, for M.Casturi  with the hopes they are able to breed a new hybrid here someday. that will tolerate heavy rains, and soils with high salt content.

Casturi fruiting well here with good signs of anthracnose resistance. The fruits are very dark purple, almost black in color. Maybe like a mini Galaxy? It is very good tasting, nearly identical in taste to mango, just small in size.
Oscar

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 26, 2014, 06:47:09 AM »
Most people would suffer mango sap burns and blistering after spending an hour of two picking and getting covered in sap and not washing it off quickly. Some people suffer more with nasty blisters. Maprang sap is far more nasty and I copped it pretty badly once after pruning.

dongeorgio

• zone 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 26, 2014, 07:22:59 AM »
To steer us back to the original topic of me patting myself on the back, I would like to welcome the following varieties of mango to the family:

Excel
Fukuda
Kook Lom Krong
Neelashan
Neelkiran
Puneet
Smith
Himmayudin
White Pirie
Lalee Jewo

Any info anyone has on any of these varieties is very much appreciated. 
George

bradflorida

• Osprey, FL. Zone 10A.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 26, 2014, 07:37:26 AM »
George,

What is the grand total number of mango varieities that you now have?  And on how many trees?

Brad
Brad

dongeorgio

• zone 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 26, 2014, 07:48:56 AM »
Brad,

I stopped counting when I crossed 100 but I am guessing in the 130's and the tree count will be similar because even though the plan was to do numerous cocktail trees and once the grafts took, I would trade or sell the donor tree,  I am having a hard time parting with any.  So now I am trying to figure out what to do with the donor plants.  Plan A seems to be to plant them in my plazas but I am still debating
George

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 26, 2014, 07:56:28 AM »

Find neighbors who will let you plant donors on their property. This way you can visit them and see their progress and get budwood and fruit from them. Charge them or not depending on the situation.  Cookie Monster has planted many mangoes in his neighbors yards

dongeorgio

• zone 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 26, 2014, 08:04:34 AM »
Zands,

I am of the school of thought that good fences make good neighbors.  I don't want to undo my years of averting everyones gaze by handing out mango trees.  I was debating petitioning my city to do a fruit park and I would donate the trees but, alas, I never seem to get past the "wow, that would be cool idea" phase. 
George

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #44 on: June 26, 2014, 07:57:18 PM »
To steer us back to the original topic of me patting myself on the back, I would like to welcome the following varieties of mango to the family:

Excel
Fukuda
Kook Lom Krong
Neelashan
Neelkiran
Puneet
Smith
Himmayudin
White Pirie
Lalee Jewo

Any info anyone has on any of these varieties is very much appreciated.

White Pirie is very popular and well liked here. A traditional old variety. Lalee jewo, not really a mango, but a different species of mangifera. Haven't eaten it but heard it has a sugar cane-like taste. I have excel, and have eaten it, but only remember that it's very good. Smith is a Hawaiian variety, from a seedling in Honolulu that bears very consistently. It's also good quality. Fukuda i also believe is a Hawaiian type, but don't remember anything specific about it. Have it in my collection. Maybe can give you more specifics in the future.
Oscar

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #45 on: June 26, 2014, 08:02:14 PM »
Most people would suffer mango sap burns and blistering after spending an hour of two picking and getting covered in sap and not washing it off quickly. Some people suffer more with nasty blisters. Maprang sap is far more nasty and I copped it pretty badly once after pruning.

Yes you're right about the mango sap being able to affect anyone. And i'm surprised there is not more discussion on this forum about proper ways to pick mangos so they don't spray or drip sap all over you.
Still this kind of reaction is very different from allergic reaction of eating a tiny piece of mango, drinking a few drops of mango juice, or just rubbing up against a mango tree, and as a result breaking out with terrible poison oak type blister all over your body.
Oscar

dongeorgio

• zone 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 03, 2014, 05:26:06 PM »
Just landed the following:

Dwarf Hawaiian
Zill Indochinese (ZIC or ZINC)
Tess Pollack
Ryan

Any info anyone has with regard to taste, size, growth habit, or anything at all will be greatly appreciated.

George

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 03, 2014, 05:36:47 PM »
i liked tess and i liked dh even better.  didn't try ryan or zic but i want to
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 03, 2014, 05:42:46 PM »
Impressive collection you got there Don.
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 03, 2014, 07:47:28 PM »
HAHAHAHAHA

I don't want to undo my years of averting everyones gaze by handing out mango trees.
Jeff  :-)